Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a brand new Grizzl-E Level-2 charger for my two EV's: Chevy Bolt 2017 and Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid 2021. In most cases it works great.

However sometimes it turns on steady red light and buzzer stopping charging EV in the middle of process. Or the same issue might even happen at random time while EV is not even plugged in. The only way to reset it is turning off AC breaker and turning on again in 30 seconds. Then everything goes back to normal

Charger is hooked up to split-phase 240V 60Hz via dedicated 50A breaker with three AWG-8 wires (two hots and one neutral) and has a separate AWG-10 wire for grounding. All wires are about 100 feet long from main panel connected via standard 14-50 outlet and original plug on charger

I read that issue might be grounding-related. But AWG-10 should be ok for grounding of 50A line according to NEC

Any ideas, what might be the root cause of problem and how to fix it? It's not a show stopper, but pretty annoying happening 1-2 times a week

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,379 Posts
Welcome.

Most people on this board are UK based where the wiring standards are significantly different so you are unlikely to get the answer that you seek. On the face of it I'd also suspect an Earthing/Grounding issue but don't understand enough about how your house is grounded to be able to help further.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Recommend you go onto the 'MyNissanLeaf' forum, which is US based. There's a whole bunch of very knowledgeable people on there and I'm sure that they'll be able to help you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Grizzl-E customer support today. They told me the unit with my particular S/N has a bad version of firmware. So they will send me a warranty replacement with voucher for free shipping a defective unit back to them

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this thread is 7mo old, but just wanted to add that this particular charger runs on pure 240ac and doesn’t require a neutral wire to split the voltage. This is why it only provides 3 terminals with L1, L2 and G, the neutral wire is not used. I’m not sure where you hooked the neutral and ground to, but you are probably bonding the house neutral and ground at the charger which should never be done at any other point after the house main disconnect per USA’s electric code.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
For a split phase supply as in the US then on 240V no neutral is required. Neutral is required when using one phase to give the 120v house voltage. See this Wjkipedia article Ground is just used for the chassis (safety) connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Correct. No component in this charger needs to split the voltage into 120v, so the neutral is not used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts