Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming home yesterday I thought I heard a scrape of snow under the car. Looking this morning that looks distinctly like scrapes the underside of a car would make.

All I can find from a quick Google is 5" or 126mm on some American sites. I'm gonna guess its the same everywhere?

Does that really mean I'm gonna have to clear the drive every time the snow hits 4+ inches??

Or if it's only about the level it is now then will it do any harm?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
It’s only snow? Do you mean when it freezes? It could cause a few scrapes to the chin of the front bumper in that case, I don’t know if you’ve looked at your car up on a ramp anytime but the batteries are well protected and there’s nothing under there that would be damaged by driving in snow deeper than 5”.

I found the ground clearance good on the e-Golf generally, much better than on my GTE where I was making good progress with my winter tyres in very deep snow once, until I became beached on it and I gradually lost traction and stopped. I was pulled backwards by a tractor fortunately, and then he ran ahead with a snow plow all the way back to the village!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's just snow. The underneath the snow is compacted and frozen, but nothing more than a thin crust of ice on top. My instinct is there shouldn't be anything to cause major issues, I just wasn't sure.

Having just spend most of the last 2.5 hours with a colleague trying to figure out some of the vagaries of Microsoft Teams I think it's time to go out and do some physical outside work. But think I'll just stick to clearing the paths rather than attempting the drive!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts