Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if a thread exists already?

Just wondered if any / many people on here have fitted one of these to their i3 BEV. If so - how useful?

They don't add a huge amount of space - but then again any extra space is welcome when there isn't much there in the first place!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hi, the capacity of the Wokeby boot compartment is 35l and the cost is 460 Euro.

That makes it circa £13/litre, fairly expensive storage!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True. But my i3 has a List of nearly £40k and comes with 261l trunk volume (iirc) - so £153/litre.

Comparative bargain :).

Though granted you can't accelerate very quickly in a trunk extension …….

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is expensive but when you watch the video they pack a lot in it with space to spare. Tyre kit / two leads / breakdown stuff etc. Would leave the front cargo space useable.
Does the frunk bag sit higher than the top of the plastic frunk tray?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes - I have in mine a fire extinguisher, high vis vests, granny charger, 15 meter “Tough leads” extension cable (with RCD breaker). Plus all the standard wheel and jack gear. If I tried hard I may also be able to get the BMW 7kw type 2 lead in, but I keep this in the boot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I installed the Wokeby trunk extension in December and am happy with the extra space it provides.

My frunk is in use daily for my level 1 charger and long cord, which I use at work and at home. So it's not available for storage of other gear.

The trunk extension holds my tire kit, stock OUC, tool pouch & cable lock (mainly for roof rack & bike rack), some tie down straps, and a sweatshirt. Not a lot, but clutter.

For a relative space comparison, here's a photo of the trunk extension in my cargo space. It's not huge, but it's still a substantial increase and goes deep.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments and the picture.
With the GRP version do you still have to swap the cables round before you drop it in?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm not sure I "had to" in that it's in the instructions and I did, but I didn't try to fit it first without swapping them. So maybe, probably?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great review - very useful and thanks for your time. One of the things that concerned me was potential transit damage although the journey from Germany to the UK is somewhat shorter.
Bad experience with your first shipment! Reminds me what the manager of our local shipping company used to say when we held meetings about transit damage to the products we were selling - 'we are only as good as the biggest idiot we employ'. That was the 1980's - I guess you couldn't say that now ………...

·
Registered
49 Posts
One of the things that concerned me was potential transit damage although the journey from Germany to the UK is somewhat shorter.
Bad experience with your first shipment!

Thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if my damage happened when the box was opened for the Customs inspection, assuming they remove the product from the box.

The flat part looks like a big giant handle to grab onto, but it's not reinforced to tolerate any heavy handed bending.

But also, there's a lot of empty space in the box, and this same flat part of the Trunk Extension ends up serving as the backbone of the box. That's not ideal.

No matter, you probably have DHL from door to door. The handoff to the US Post Office was the thorn in my side. It took me two letters, four phone calls, and six visits (!!!) To five different Post Office facilities just to file the international damage report correctly. It was an unbelievable customer service breakdown of the US Post Office.

Thankfully for the rest of you, Wolfgang at Wokeby said his prior shipments have never experienced this kind of mishandling or damage, and he was also very responsive to this first problem and reinforced his packaging for the replacement shipment.

So it looks promising that this is all just an interesting side note to my purchase, yet it serves as a cautionary message that the Wokeby Trunk Extension belongs installed in the i3, and not in a shipping box being schlepped through a warehouse, or sitting exposed on the floor of a mechanic's bay!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts