Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

Last Wednesday (3rd Jan) on the way home from work I received a warning light in the GTE. “Low Coolant Level - Check”, followed shortly by “12V battery not charging - Pull over safely”. Upon opening the bonnet it was immediately clear that the car had ejected the contents of the hybrid system coolant loop! (The ICE loop was fine). Called the VW breakdown service via the Car-Net Security and Service button, only to be connected to Germany! I was shuffled about to an English speaker who could see the fault report sent automatically by the car but they could not help me as the service should have connected me to the UK... Instead they gave me the number to call. AA arrived, confirmed the issue and towed to the local VW garage. They had fixed the leak (hose) on Thursday but won’t release the car as they are waiting for VW technical to confirm if anything else may have been damaged.

Anyone else had a similar issue with either coolant system or Car-Net Security and Service button?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I i was offered a Kia i think i would have got a taxi.
All cars have issues every now and then at least they are making sure its all ok before you get it back. I guess with the cooling system for the EV side they are making sure it is safe.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I i was offered a Kia i think i would have got a taxi.
You have a very strange attitude towards Kia.
It makes some very highly regarded cars that are more reliable than VW. The dealers are also much better according to the arch VW apologist What Car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If my VW GTE broke down ( wish i had one to break down still waiting for mine) I would expect a like for like car so some sort of golf. If i was offered a KIA i personally would not want it and use one of my other cars.
Im sure a KIA is a wonderful car but it does not float my boat... I work on cars everyday and have seen them all, they all have issues but from an engineering point of view VW do make a good car and yes the will have issues with mechanical failure but so does every manufacture. There will also be good Dealers and Bad Dealers there are only so many master techs in each VW dealership so on the odd occasion things may not go as you wish.

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
The continued UK myth of German cars being "well engineered" and "reliable" I can only put down to very good marketing. Based on surveys, VW are slightly above average and look who is top of this one...

2017103_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
The continued UK myth of German cars being "well engineered" and "reliable" I can only put down to very good marketing. Based on surveys, VW are slightly above average and look who is top of this one...

View attachment 73457
I’ve seen that graph before, and the bit that always interests me is the fact that some of the better performing brands above average are also from the VAG group (Skoda/Seat), as is one of the worst (Audi).

Given that much of the componentary is the same in all those brands (the bits that actually matter anyway) then something else must be at play? I mean, the graph suggests that everybody in the VAG group knows how to design and screw a car together better than the industry average, apart from Audi?

How can that be?

I suspect that customer expectation and fussiness has something to do with it as well.

What constitutes a ‘problem’ or fault these days I wonder?

Oh, and I’ve nothing against Kia’s at all, I’ve been given them as hire cars through work, and some of them have been very nice indeed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't think that report is 100% accurate there is going to be a lot more VW owners out there compared to KIA and Volvo.
SEAT, SKODA, VW, AUDI share a lot of the same platforms and AUDI is supposed to be the cream of the bunch.
I own a garage and i work on lots of cars everyday we have a SEAT CUPRA TCR car that has the life thrashed out of it for 24hrs non stop the punishment the car takes is amazing and never failed to finish a race.

I can only speak how i feel about cars but i work with them daily i don't stop someone in the street and offer them a £20 M&S voucher for 20 minutes of their time.

I have had lots of cars over the years and strangely the best ones i have owned feature the worst on the list.
BMW 318 Petrol no issues
2001 Focus 1.8 Diesel
2005 Mondeo Sat Nav issues
2006 A4 2.0 TDI Great car EGR valve went
2008 A4 3.0 Amazing car no issues
2009 Focus RS amazing car no issues
2010 Focus RS amazing car no issues
2009 RS6 Great car no issues
2012 Focus ST 2.0 of dear too much to list steering lock used to come on driving down the motorway
2012 Fiesta ST Broke down 20 miles after leaving the dealers
2014 Audi Q7 great car no issues
2014 RS6 Wish i still had this- no issues
2015 Range Rover Sport 4.4 Diesel Great car no issues
i have now
2016 Ford Transit Custom No issues
2016 Mustang Supercharged Alternator went
2017 Q5 great car no issues
and a GTE if it ever arrives.

Sorry for hijacking your thread but i could not contain my self as i would never by a car that was the most reliable on a report and as you can see i have never owned a KIA but i have repaired a few and the parts are expensive.

If my GTE had come i would have been playing with that instead :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
My original point wasn't to look at specific vehicles or other companies within the VAG umbrella, it is the attitude that some people in general have to company perceived as cheap and not very good when compared to a company that has a reputation of quality and customer service. Why would somebody not drive a car that is just as good, with better support, just because of the badge.

Whatever figures you look at, in general, Kia seem to produce more reliable cars than VW and their drivers seem happier with the support they get from the dealers. What expectation do you need when going to a dealer, competent and friendly staff, a nice environment to wait in and a job well done at a reasonable price. The basic expectation of the car is that it works.

My personal VW experience was of a dealer who couldn't have met even my lowest expectations without falling miserably and a car that could have been very nice but had numerous unfixed rattles and a fundamentally flawed engine that VW seemed unable or unwilling to sort out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts