Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Thinking of maybe buying a nearly new GTE. My heart is telling me to go for it, but my head is saying they are expensive and I could get a "premium" brand for the same money - although the GTE comes with a lot of features that bump the price of a similarly specced "premium" brand WAY up.

One of the alternatives I've looked at is the Golf R - can be specced out basically the same as the GTE, with amazing performance to boot. I'm a 23yo male, and performance is quite important to me! However, I do worry about the MPG. I currently have a Citroen DS3 that'll do 0-60 in about 9.6 seconds, so either the GTE or the R would be an improvement. It does that while giving, always, between 40 and 50 MPG - the Golf R averages about 29, from what I've read.

I've seen the videos of people getting their GTEs from 0-60 in under 7 seconds, stock - however, these always seem to be Mk 7, not 7.5. I'm looking at the Mk 7.5, and wondering if this is still the case in terms of 0-60 times being understated, and if not, what changed during the facelift that slowed the new model down.

Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don’t focus on the 0-60 performance numbers too much. Driving an R is going to be a very different experience to the GTE. You’ve got to decide what you want and I think the 0-60 sprint the be should be a minor factor in that decision.

Curious as to why the GTI isn’t on your radar?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don’t focus on the 0-60 performance numbers too much. Driving an R is going to be a very different experience to the GTE. You’ve got to decide what you want and I think the 0-60 sprint the be should be a minor factor in that decision.

Curious as to why the GTI isn’t on your radar?
GTI isn't really on my radar as I sort of felt, if i'm going for a GTI, and I can afford an R, might as well go for an R, you know? Whereas GTE sounds a different enough experience. Going from what I have to a GTI just doesn't seem like a big enough change to warrant it. Might be on my radar if the perfect car came up though

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just if you want better fuel economy and performance handling it’s a pretty good compromise particularly with that 7 speed dsg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just if you want better fuel economy and performance handling it’s a pretty good compromise particularly with that 7 speed dsg
Yes, you do have a good point. I'll certainly have a look. There are so many options! I haven't really even settled on a Golf! The only reason I'm looking at these other Golfs was because I'd been looking at the GTE as it caught my eye as a well-built hybrid.

Back to the question at hand - anyone know how the 0-60 is measured? Is it measured from pedal to the floor, or from when the car starts to move? And anyone got any input as to their actual times?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Curious to know too, hopefully vw haven’t dialled it back, should get mine in a couple of weeks so will do some tests after the engine is running a little bit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It all depends what you want most for the car. The performance or the MPG?

Also how much driving will you do?

If you can afford h Golf R and running costs then that would be a great choice. However if you are going to do a lot of miles and have access to charging points then the GTE maybe more suitable.

Back in 2011 when I wanted a 1 series BMW I had the choice of a 130i or the 120d. Of course the 130i was the more appealing and quicker car, but doing roughly 12-15k a year would have rinsed my bank account! Ended up with the 120d -which for me was the right choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Coming from a 2016 R to a 2018 GTE I can give you my view;

First the economics, my insurance is 50% cheaper, tax is 20% of the R, monthly PCP is also 1/5 lower.

Power wise the R obviously is very fast, however the GTE in GTE mode overtakes in a acceptable manner, only not getting to the absurd speeds the R was capable of.

Petrol wise, the R did around 28-30 MPG on long runs, much less round town. The GTE does 45 MPG on long runs and around town is electric only mostly.

Pick up off the line is surprisingly fast in the GTE and there is no gear shift feeling at all, which could be a bit objectionable (not bad just not seamless like the GTE, I assume because the electric motor covers it) after the R was a year or so old.

The suspension on the GTE is no where near as good as the R damping wise, but the steering and cornering is very similar.

·
Registered
998 Posts
@cruzer Well, you need to define your needs first. Why do you need the car? Commute? Fun, as in track days? Long trips?

Looking at your statements, you are looking for something flashy, noisy and fast. That is not the GTE.

Get the GTE only if you are environmentally conscientious, looking for a quiet and relaxed drive with access to performance (acceleration) and long distance at any time. Speed and noise will be average, but exceptional MPG.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My commute to work is 4 miles each way, on kind or rural roads, although they can get reasonably busy (for the size road). I probably won't often be able to ACTUALLY DO 0-60, and therefore I wonder if the Golf R's MPG isn't really worth it when considering the journeys I do. My partner's brother had a Merc A45 AMG and had to change it in because he said the running costs were just way too high, and I think his commute was similar to mine. Insurance is something I haven't really thought about, and may well be the deciding factor. My current insurance normally works out between 450 and 550 annually - I'm guessing the GTE wouldn't be too far off that - smaller engine etc.

I'd like something that's a bit different, whether that's a hybrid or something a bit more exclusive. Doesn't necessarily have to be loud, visually or aurally, but if it was quick then I'd like the sound to match! In the end though, it's not all about looks, it's about having something that's fun to drive if wanted. I have good fun in my DS3 so I might be easily pleased!

Like I say, my heart is saying GTE, there's just that.... something... about it. I'm just wondering how much fun is had by people and what performance they observe. Do people generally enjoy driving their GTEs? I guess I have to bear in mind that whatever I go for it'll easily beat my current car from a standstill!

·
Registered
746 Posts
When my Golf 7 GTE was new I had a few goes at measuring the 0-60 time. Avegaged our just over 7 seconds. I agree with others who say this is the last thing you should really be worried about. The GTE is great, but it isn’t a sports car. It handles better than most heavy front wheel drive cars, but is no GTI/R. It is incredibly smooth, quiet and relaxing, well equipped and inoffensive looking. And if you don’t do long journeys and can charge at home, stupidly economical. I’m currently averaging circa 120 miles per petrol gallon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's interesting to hear that you haven't factored in insurance yet given you are going to change from a DS3 to a Golf R!

That could be quite a wake up call! Lol

Also interesting to hear cornering felt similar in the GTE from a previous R owner. Would never have thought that! I have a 7 GTE and it's still fun to drive for me. So much so I have ordered a new one for when this goes back. Best I have done 0-60 is 6.8 seconds, but there is a vid on the net from automann clocking one at 6.4 I believe. What isn't really mentioned though is the acceleration from 80-110/120 (it's quite satisy too as the power band seems to get a second wind round that mark after petering out a little round 70.

Good luck with your choice anyway but as someone else mentioned I would definitely have a GTI on your list as that seems to be the best of both worlds considering your needs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's interesting to hear that you haven't factored in insurance yet given you are going to change from a DS3 to a Golf R!

That could be quite a wake up call! Lol

Also interesting to hear cornering felt similar in the GTE from a previous R owner. Would never have thought that! I have a 7 GTE and it's still fun to drive for me. So much so I have ordered a new one for when this goes back. Best I have done 0-60 is 6.8 seconds, but there is a vid on the net from automann clocking one at 6.4 I believe. What isn't really mentioned though is the acceleration from 80-110/120 (it's quite satisy too as the power band seems to get a second wind round that mark after petering out a little round 70.

Good luck with your choice anyway but as someone else mentioned I would definitely have a GTI on your list as that seems to be the best of both worlds considering your needs.
I know, it does sound funny! I have had the DS3 for a number of years now though, and my income has basically doubled since then. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I got some quotes around the 800-900 quid mark.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Two very very different cars really, apart from the body shell. Do a few 0-60's in the GTE and you'll end up with a heavy 1.4 golf as the battery will be empty.

4wd R or fwd 1.4. Gte no comparison.

Not sure what specifically you are on about when you mentioned you can spec an R to GTE standard? Apart from the obvious EV side of things, not sure what it misses out on?

However, the GTE isn't really a fast car, it is quick, but as mentioned above the other benefits such as potential 0 fuel costs, depending on commute and charging option. A lot better overall MPG, and a load better on bik If that's what you require.

If it had to be a golf, heart would say R, wallet would say GTE, head would say GTI.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Two very very different cars really, apart from the body shell. Do a few 0-60's in the GTE and you'll end up with a heavy 1.4 golf as the battery will be empty.

4wd R or fwd 1.4. Gte no comparison.

Not sure what specifically you are on about when you mentioned you can spec an R to GTE standard? Apart from the obvious EV side of things, not sure what it misses out on?

However, the GTE isn't really a fast car, it is quick, but as mentioned above the other benefits such as potential 0 fuel costs, depending on commute and charging option. A lot better overall MPG, and a load better on bik If that's what you require.

If it had to be a golf, heart would say R, wallet would say GTE, head would say GTI.
I think that everyone who runs a GTE enjoys the way it drives. Both the e- driving and the GTE mode for a bit of fun.

GTE mode IS quick but definitely NOT loud. Great as a 'Q car' but useless for vroom vroom.

Definitely different and a conversation piece wherever you go. Learning to drive well electric was also a lot of fun for me.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My tuppence on this. I agree with others that it will be no GTI or R but is is actually surprisingly fun and the 100% torque off the line has to be experienced. I've left many a GTI / R trailing initially at traffic lights (though of course they catch you and pass you eventually, the R quite quickly!) and there is something very satisfying about the initial 0-30/40 which I would argue you get to use more often than 0-60 anyway. Throw in your 8 mile commute and the GTE feels like the perfect balance for you. Every mate who I've given a lift to has grinned and been pretty impressed when I floor it in both E mode and GTE mode. Yet most of the time you have an exceptionally refined, green and quiet car for your daily needs. I love mine.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The transmission is automatic remember. Quite different from the sports car experience.
Though most Rs that I see seem to be specced with the DSG as well... and you always have the steering wheel pedals for a bit of manual if you want.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hi guys,

Thinking of maybe buying a nearly new GTE. My heart is telling me to go for it, but my head is saying they are expensive and I could get a "premium" brand for the same money - although the GTE comes with a lot of features that bump the price of a similarly specced "premium" brand WAY up.

One of the alternatives I've looked at is the Golf R - can be specced out basically the same as the GTE, with amazing performance to boot. I'm a 23yo male, and performance is quite important to me! However, I do worry about the MPG. I currently have a Citroen DS3 that'll do 0-60 in about 9.6 seconds, so either the GTE or the R would be an improvement. It does that while giving, always, between 40 and 50 MPG - the Golf R averages about 29, from what I've read.

I've seen the videos of people getting their GTEs from 0-60 in under 7 seconds, stock - however, these always seem to be Mk 7, not 7.5. I'm looking at the Mk 7.5, and wondering if this is still the case in terms of 0-60 times being understated, and if not, what changed during the facelift that slowed the new model down.

Cheers
You don’t mention two crucial points:
Do you have somewhere to charge it?
What mileage do you do?

If you do high mileage then the GTE is not that economical. Also, if you can’t/don’t charge it, it’s a waste.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts