Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've just recently got my charger installed and either I'm missing something or there may be an issue with the percentage when charging.

I've set the profile in the standard profile to be 80% (I'm not using departure times as I'm working from home) and I've noticed that upon successfully charging I'm seeing 100% charge with 28 miles of range on the dashboard.

As far as I'm aware this is best practice so as not to cause any damage/increased wear on the battery but I'm unsure why I'm not hitting 80% rather than 100%, does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think the parameter you are setting to 80% is the minimum charge.
If you plug in with a departure time set it will charge to 80% immediately, then stop. It will then charge to 100% in time for the departure time.
If you have no departure time it will just charge straight to 100%.
I think your options are to manually stop the charge somewhere around 80%, or set a departure timer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe this can only be achieved by using a departure time and setting the charge to 80%.

To be honest I would just charge to 100% not worry about best practice. With barely 30miles of range I would want all the miles I can get to maximise efficiency, and by the time the battery did start to wear you’d be looking at your next car anyway.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I had a GTE for over four years and charged to 100% every time.
The range is small anyway, so charging to 80% is a bit pointless.
The battery has a buffer anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check the setting and it is definitely maximum charge, but I do take onboard and I'll just let it charge to 100%.

My commute is normally 10 miles each way but it's currently getting around 80 miles a month put on it so I suppose I shouldn't be too worried, thanks all for your help!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
100% charge on the GTE is 94% on the real battery from memory, so not much of a buffer.

For short journeys I just stop the charging manually by setting a timer on my phone and using We Connect. A departure timer can also be set.

Bonus is if you charge to 90% displayed capacity (roughly 7/8 capacity bars) then you get nearly full ~45kW regen making city driving more pleasurable.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,395 Posts
Bonus is if you charge to 90% displayed capacity (roughly 7/8 capacity bars) then you get nearly full ~45kW regen making city driving more pleasurable.
I would get higher miles per kWh if I set off from home with almost full battery, than full.
However the benefit was out weighed by the fact the battery was less full - so net net.
Also I had a downhill to an always stopped junction less than 500m from home, so I was losing the advantage of that.
In the end I just used to let it fully charge.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
The buffer is small, but it does have one at both ends thank goodness !.
Charging from a standard wall box or even more slowly from a Granny helps some what to prevent serious damage to the HV pack.
Constant rapid charging ( which you cannot do on a GTE ) is a big factor in HV battery degradation.
Stressing about what the GOM reports every time you complete a charge, can cloud your mind to what you think is a great car.
Don't let it, just charge it, use it and enjoy it.
The GTE is a fantastic "Bridge Car" into the whole world of a BEV.
Your next car is very likely to be an EV now, thanks to the GTE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts