Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just got my GTE this bank holiday weekend - been great so far.

One thing I can't seem to get working is the departure time, essentially if I set a departure time it never charges not even to the minimum (30%).

Without setting departure it works fine.

I'm plugging my car into a free pod point - could this problem be related to the charging point itself?

Thanks

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,193 Posts
In your "situation" I'd set the minimum charge to 100%, since you're not paying for the electricity anyway..

Most free pod-points require you to confirm the charge has started via the app, have you been doing this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In your "situation" I'd set the minimum charge to 100%, since you're not paying for the electricity anyway..

Most free pod-points require you to confirm the charge has started via the app, have you been doing this?
Yeah that's true I guess, and no surprisingly. I called pod point using the number on the charger and they said this point doesn't need to be confirmed (even says to confirm it on the point itself). It doesn't even appear on the map in the app.

I did think it was strange since I've used pod points at Tesco where they do require you to confirm the charge.

However provided when I use it I don't set a depart time it works perfectly.

I'll try again setting the min charge to 100% see what happens.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Hi All, [..]
I'm plugging my car into a free pod point - could this problem be related to the charging point itself?
Pod Points don't work with delayed charging because they unlock the charger when the car stops drawing power. This is not compliant with Type 2 spec but it won't upset the car unless you have a delayed start function. Your only option is immediate charge.

Prey tell why you are using a public charger with delayed charging? You pay no different rates for the vast majority of chargers at different times of day and a public charger is a bit like a public bathroom: you should do your business and leave, not block the charger for hours on end (I suppose there might be exceptions for office chargers where only a few employees need to use them, but it's still odd.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pod Points don't work with delayed charging because they unlock the charger when the car stops drawing power. This is not compliant with Type 2 spec but it won't upset the car unless you have a delayed start function. Your only option is immediate charge.

Prey tell why you are using a public charger with delayed charging? You pay no different rates for the vast majority of chargers at different times of day and a public charger is a bit like a public bathroom: you should do your business and leave, not block the charger for hours on end (I suppose there might be exceptions for office chargers where only a few employees need to use them, but it's still odd.)
Haha fair assumptions. But for some context -

I live down a pretty quiet residential road where recently (the last year or so) they have installed some electric charging points down the end in a car park. I’ve never seen anyone actually use them until I started using them this weekend lol. If they were in demand of course I would charge and move it, but there just isn‘t any need, all empty and no one is using them lol.

But yeah also true - not much point in worrying about the departure thing since the rate is irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The problem is your usage will show up as occupied on any online maps, and anyone driving past looking for a charger has one less option. I'd charge for as long as you need. The GTE will be done in 2hrs, so if you plug in when you get home and move it in the late evening, it won't be too bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts