Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd just unplugged my GTE from the Polar charge point at a local ASDA when I was approached by a couple of young guys who'd been admiring it while it charged.

One of the first things things they said was that they were surprised it was plugged in as it didn't look like an electric car. They obviously had an expectation that electric vehicles would look like a Leaf or an I3.

They also asked about what it cost to run and how much it cost to charge. I explained about the monthly £8.35 Polar+ fee for the RFID card and a rough cost of about 5p a mile when running on electric. They thought this was dirt cheap, in contrast to some of us on here and seemed impressed when I told them that running the electric and the engine together delivered over 200bhp.

Once we'd finished chatting, I left (in e mode), and glancing in my rear view mirror saw them pointing and looking shocked, probably because of the lack of engine noise from a car doing 25-30 mph.

Just goes to show that phevs/bevs can impress without needing to look completely different from run of the mill cars.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hi - assuming you're at the Asda for 45mins- maybe 1hr? What mileage into the battery do you get for your £8 a month charge ?
I also assume that charger there is free for you to use - they are not also asking you for 9p/kwh on top of the monthly fee? Just wondering how many times you need to go there to win vs charging at home ( of course if you can't charge at home it brings a whole new angle !)

I've been put off by the £8/month meaning even for a free to then use point, I'd have to charge from empty to full I think 8.5 times a month to breakeven ? which is 2-3 times a week ?
( It costs in theory 93p to charge from empty to full, at home rate of 12p a unit ----- so I took £8, divided it by the 93p, getting 8.5 lots ....)
Now, if you work at that Asda .... o) if you have to go there several times a week as your work/life demands it, then things become a lot clearer, cheaper - and if you always get there near empty.

PS I hope you're looking forward to the first time someone says You Can't Park Here, EVs Only, as you then get your cable out of the boot ....

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I'd just unplugged my GTE from the Polar charge point at a local ASDA when I was approached by a couple of young guys who'd been admiring it while it charged.

One of the first things things they said was that they were surprised it was plugged in as it didn't look like an electric car. They obviously had an expectation that electric vehicles would look like a Leaf or an I3.

They also asked about what it cost to run and how much it cost to charge. I explained about the monthly £8.35 Polar+ fee for the RFID card and a rough cost of about 5p a mile when running on electric. They thought this was dirt cheap, in contrast to some of us on here and seemed impressed when I told them that running the electric and the engine together delivered over 200bhp.

Once we'd finished chatting, I left (in e mode), and glancing in my rear view mirror saw them pointing and looking shocked, probably because of the lack of engine noise from a car doing 25-30 mph.

Just goes to show that phevs/bevs can impress without needing to look completely different from run of the mill cars.
I agree the GTE and the eGolf are wonderfully restrained with tasteful detail design when parked next to more obvious electric cars. Somehow other EV drivers interpret this as "boring"..!

However there is a downside. I have received ten parking tickets in the past ten months while parking perfectly legally for free in Westminster parking bays. Apparently they are supposed to check it is a plug-in by looking for an exhaust pipe (but they obviously didn't in my case!0. However with a GTE even this telltale clue doesn't exists. How many Golf GTEs have suffered the same fate as me, I wonder..?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi - assuming you're at the Asda for 45mins- maybe 1hr? What mileage into the battery do you get for your £8 a month charge ?
I also assume that charger there is free for you to use - they are not also asking you for 9p/kwh on top of the monthly fee? Just wondering how many times you need to go there to win vs charging at home ( of course if you can't charge at home it brings a whole new angle !)

I've been put off by the £8/month meaning even for a free to then use point, I'd have to charge from empty to full I think 8.5 times a month to breakeven ? which is 2-3 times a week ?
( It costs in theory 93p to charge from empty to full, at home rate of 12p a unit ----- so I took £8, divided it by the 93p, getting 8.5 lots ....)
Now, if you work at that Asda .... o) if you have to go there several times a week as your work/life demands it, then things become a lot clearer, cheaper - and if you always get there near empty.

PS I hope you're looking forward to the first time someone says You Can't Park Here, EVs Only, as you then get your cable out of the boot ....
I don't have access to charging at home, occasionally I'll plug in at my parents place, but otherwise there are two public charge locations (the ASDA I mentioned above, and a separate CYC point) that I use. I could use the AC rapid at the closest MSA but that would involve me going significantly out of my way to get a charge, so I don't bother.
In answer to your other question an hour's charge gets me about 10 miles, the charger is on my direct route when returning from my Wednesday evening Pilates class, so it's convenient to pop in to do some shopping and get a charge at the same time.

·
Registered
410 Posts
However there is a downside. I have received ten parking tickets in the past ten months while parking perfectly legally for free in Westminster parking bays. Apparently they are supposed to check it is a plug-in by looking for an exhaust pipe (but they obviously didn't in my case!
Surely the bright yellow cable going from the charging station to the bonnet is a bit of a give away!

·
The best there is at what I do
10,633 Posts

I thought Polar Plus was £7.85 a month for the membership:confused:

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Surely the bright yellow cable going from the charging station to the bonnet is a bit of a give away!
Not if you're not charging -- I'm talking about normal Westminster parking bays.

Good luck finding a 7kW post in Westminster that's available or working...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought Polar Plus was £7.85 a month for the membership:confused:
Sorry I was giving a rough cost during the reported conversation and there was a a couple of typos in my original post with regards to the cost pm of the Polar+ RFID card. You are correct.

·
Daniel
123 Posts
I agree the GTE and the eGolf are wonderfully restrained with tasteful detail design when parked next to more obvious electric cars. Somehow other EV drivers interpret this as "boring"..!

However there is a downside. I have received ten parking tickets in the past ten months while parking perfectly legally for free in Westminster parking bays. Apparently they are supposed to check it is a plug-in by looking for an exhaust pipe (but they obviously didn't in my case!0. However with a GTE even this telltale clue doesn't exists. How many Golf GTEs have suffered the same fate as me, I wonder..?
Hey they do this in Leeds a lot where the parking exemption scheme is new - it's a symptom of not looking like an EV and of how rare they are and that I like - I have only seen one other on the road in the city and got a smile from the driver, because they knew what great cars they are (please don't start (redacted)!).

Last time there was that kind of 'club' reaction I recall was in mums robin reliant that had a waving hand in the back when you saw another one on the road - you always waved! (She will kill me for mentioning it but it was cheap and she only had a motorbike license!).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey they do this in Leeds a lot where the parking exemption scheme is new - it's a symptom of not looking like an EV and of how rare they are and that I like - I have only seen one other on the road in the city and got a smile from the driver, because they knew what great cars they are (please don't start (redacted)!).

Last time there was that kind of 'club' reaction I recall was in mums robin reliant that had a waving hand in the back when you saw another one on the road - you always waved! (She will kill me for mentioning it but it was cheap and she only had a motorbike license!).
Fellow GTE driver from Leeds here! I've seen three others so far, one in my village, and two at Harewood House!

How long did it take for you to get your permit for Leeds car parks? I've been waiting a couple of weeks now and don't know if I should chase it up or not? Paying £8.80 a day when I shouldn't have to is becoming a bit of a bind now!

·
Daniel
123 Posts
Hello fellow GTE driver :) Within a week, it should take them that long, I would chase it up. I wonder if you can put them on notice you would like to claim back the charges incurred in the time since you applied?? My GTE goes to Harewood often so you might see a fourth one!

·
Daniel
123 Posts
Whilst it doesn't look like an EV and is really understated which is why I love it, I am however pleased the big c shaped led daytime lights have been fitted - a few times I have seen pedestrians look like they were going to cross in front of me but then do a double take when they see the lights! I always do slow near pedestrians in anticipation they might step out anyway - something you should do in any car, but far too many don't and that's why, sadly, there are so many pedestrian fatalities in my opinion.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
I agree the GTE and the eGolf are wonderfully restrained with tasteful detail design when parked next to more obvious electric cars. Somehow other EV drivers interpret this as "boring
I actually think a plug in golf (Egolf) is pretty cool. I think it would turn more heads than my leaf at the charger. I kinda like that ;)

·
not very good at taking life seriously
46 Posts
Fellow GTE driver from Leeds here! I've seen three others so far, one in my village, and two at Harewood House!

How long did it take for you to get your permit for Leeds car parks? I've been waiting a couple of weeks now and don't know if I should chase it up or not? Paying £8.80 a day when I shouldn't have to is becoming a bit of a bind now!
Did the permit ever come through?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I was going to berate a Passat driver at the services the other day but got to the front and saw it was plugged in. Have seen them before but never stationary.
I think the big C DRLs are the main giveaway right?

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
I could use the AC rapid at the closest MSA
Please don't. These are for cars that can rapid charge, not sip at 3kW. At 35p kWh it isn't worth the hassle for 10 miles range in an hour.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please don't. These are for cars that can rapid charge, not sip at 3kW. At 35p kWh it isn't worth the hassle for 10 miles range in an hour.
That was included in a comment I made back in June 2016 which I think was prior to ECoT initiating charging for charging. It's normally a good idea to check the context in which a statement was made before responding to it.

However, responding to your comment as read, I have no intention of using MSA rapids to assist in charging my battery, as my usage pattern means that I would only visit one once or twice a year, usually for less time than it would be worth my while to plug in.

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
That was included in a comment I made back in June 2016 which I think was prior to ECoT initiating charging for charging. It's normally a good idea to check the context in which a statement was made before responding to it.
Fair point, I did miss the date it was posted! As a future Zoe owner, PHEVs plugging into Type 2 rapids is a worry I have for my longer journeys ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts