Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one on the many people thinking of moving GTE > eGolf. (ID too expensive / not available when GTE lease runs out )
Comfort zone of the car controls / eManager / App already in my head vs going to a e208/Iconiq etc

I know many of the regular useful appenders on SpeakEV have done the GTE > eGolf

1) Zooming away from the lights / down a slip road --- is the eGolf just as nippy as a [ GTE in eMode ] ?

2) Is the eGolf showing slightly higher (=better) consumption numbers ?
You would have the same route, same traffic, same driving style as when you had a GTE, is your new eGolf any noticeably more "fuel" economical than a eMode only journey in a GTE?

3) Wondering if perhaps you hardly ever drive off completely full means you get full benefit of the braking regen vs GTE that would typically be driven off with a full battery.?

And ... what's is like trying to remember NOT to let the GOM get to 0 ?!?!?!
Do you still walk to the front of the car with the cable in hand? Swear quietly and THEN innocently walk down to the side port ?!?

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
I’ve made the jump from GTE to e-Golf, my thoughts in relation to your queries;

1) The e-Golf is much quicker all round than the GTE in e-mode, as you’d expect really as the e-Golf motor is more powerful than the GTEs.

2) I’m driving my e-Golf on exactly the same routes as my old GTE, I’m averaging 4.3 miles per kWh over 4000 miles. In my GTE, I was very pleased to achieve 3 miles per kWh, and I had to be gentle to get that. If I try similarly hard in the e-Golf I can get high 4s and over 5 on occasion.

3) I put mine into regen mode 3 pretty soon after setting off, it’s very good at scavenging power back, and no brake lights when you lift and get regen unlike B mode in the GTE. B mode on the e-Golf does activate brake lights on lift though.

4) Cant say I’ve ever mistakenly gone to the nose on the e-Golf to charge it, but I wish the charge socket was there! I find the flap position on the e-Golf less convenient to be honest.

It’s not a perfect car, what is, I’d like more power (although it never really feels slow) but it’s fulfilling my brief for an economical car that’s available and nice to drive.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
1) Yes, it feels nice and fast
2) It is more efficient than the GTE
3) Range anxiety makes sure you know how much range you have, but of course, it's much greater than the GTE in e-mode anyway.
4) No, I prefer the charging point on the side. It suits my charging setup at home.

The softer suspension feels much better to me. You really appreciate the quiet ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts