Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just wondering what range everyone's getting in pure electric mode? I took delivery of my GTE two weeks ago and can only manage 12-16 miles range in pure electric on a full charge. This is driving sensibly, with AC switched off, etc.

I know that stated range is 30 miles and most people say around 25 is more realistic, but I'm way off this range.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was getting 25 miles but now the temperature has dropped it's more like 18 but it's a fairly good run so faster or stop start might be closer to your figures. Are you pre heating? what's your commute/ journey distance? you might find starting in ICE in the cold to get the temp up if you can't preheat makes a difference especially if it is going to come on later in the journey anyway and turn the temp down in the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife uses the car to run back and forth from our local town (3.5 miles). Was hoping based on range of car we'd get three journeys there and back, but sometimes only achieving one with a couple of small stops in town before having to recharge. Our run to town is pretty straight and there's no traffic, so mostly sit at 60 once out our junction. We don't preheat the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
60mph and no preheating in the cold is going to dent the range. Could you preheat? have you registered for the app or portal so you can start the heating remotely? If you can get there and back and it is short journeys as you describe you are just as well to recharge when at home and not bother with preheating accepting more frequent charges. However, have you seen the thread Snug'n'Smug ?...or scraping the windscreen still ... ......

·
Registered
Kona64
1,757 Posts
< braking comments removed, after a few re reads I realised not relevant to the question >

Or of course, if you've a bummer of a driving route & traffic densities .... then the only option is to move house....or move / change destinations......try alternate routes ?

Perhaps someone hitting a Bum Warmer Button and forgetting to say so ....

Also just read elsewhere that rain is big big cause of denting full battery mileage....lot of the implications on tyre drag, wipers/lights/demist ..... could be that sort of weather has been a big feature in your 2 weeks - again not a lot you can do there ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

Just wondering what range everyone's getting in pure electric mode? I took delivery of my GTE two weeks ago and can only manage 12-16 miles range in pure electric on a full charge. This is driving sensibly, with AC switched off, etc.

I know that stated range is 30 miles and most people say around 25 is more realistic, but I'm way off this range.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts.
Also disappointed with GTE's range. The battery never exceeds 25 miles on 'full charge' and I manage no more than 15 miles on my regular run on flat roads with some stops for traffic lights. Heating on minimum. VW agreed to take it in to see if there is a problem but from what I'm reading, other users have the same limited charge and, hence, range. I don't mind not meeting the ambitious 30 miles as advertised but don't like not having access to more than 24 miles when I set off.
As expected, MPG on longer non-electric runs is not good - about 42mpg on along motorway run on 'hybrid'. This means that the overall long term MPG is mid 50's which isn't good given that I pump electricity into it every night. Otherwise a fantastic car to drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Neil69 - I get between 14 and 17 miles out of mine. Any 60 mile per hour sections greatly reduces the range. My wife seems to drive a bit slower and she seems to be able to get over 20 miles range very occasionally out of the car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We have been studying this seasonal issue on EVA-Scotland, as you might expect.

Conclusion is EV range is halved in winter due mainly to low temperature behaviour of our chemical batteries. While not scientifically proven, and precise factors can be debated and depend on driver behaviour of course.
Broadly with a 15 degree drop from summer temps:

Battery chemistry - minus 35% (some potential decline and mostly quicker discharge)
Cold air is denser giving more drag - minus 7%
Using the heater (variable) - say minus 5%
Generally windier and wetter (drag & rolling resistance) - say minus 5%
Wipers, defog - minus 3%
Lights on more often - minus 2%
Less regeneration due to battery non-capture- minus 2% perhaps

So we live with it, or find a way to keep the battery warm. Preheating the EV would seem to help.

Richard

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
We have been studying this seasonal issue on EVA-Scotland, as you might expect.

Conclusion is EV range is halved in winter due mainly to low temperature behaviour of our chemical batteries. While not scientifically proven, and precise factors can be debated and depend on driver behaviour of course.
Broadly with a 15 degree drop from summer temps:

Battery chemistry - minus 35% (some potential decline and mostly quicker discharge)
Cold air is denser giving more drag - minus 7%
Using the heater (variable) - say minus 5%
Generally windier and wetter (drag & rolling resistance) - say minus 5%
Wipers, defog - minus 3%
Lights on more often - minus 2%
Less regeneration due to battery non-capture- minus 2% perhaps

So we live with it, or find a way to keep the battery warm. Preheating the EV would seem to help.

Richard
And the good news:

The colder the battery the less it degrades with calendar ageing.

PS EV Status averages from 324 drivers over several years shows a seasonal change of 1 mile per kWh on average. About a 25% drop from high summer performance of 4 miles per kWh. At -20 degree C you would have about a 60% drop from performance at plus 20 degree C.

Near Summer time performance with an ambient of 11 C was restored today by driving as soon as the battery had topped and balanced at 100% with fast charging and was showing five bars on the Nissan LEAF. Two hours parked up at night and the battery was back down to 4 bars for the return journey.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My GTE is showing 30 miles available this morning. It'll be interesting to see how many I actually achieve. Any longer term GTE owners have any insight into how the electric range prediction is arrived at? i.e. is it a guessometer as in the Leaf?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I seem not to have been paying attention..! I've just become aware that you're driving a GTE and not an Outlander @Eugene Lambert

What made you change? And how do you find it compared with the Mitsu?
@Tim Ostler Yes, just traded the Outlander for a GTE. Collected and drove it down from Scunthorpe, and today to Oxford and back to have a towbar fitted.

As for the why? When I bought the Outlander it was the only PHEV capable of towing (apart from the Tesla-priced Volvo V60 PHEV). It was an SUV, which was not ideal as I don't like SUVs, but I felt I had no choice. Then, lo and behold, eighteen months later I become aware the GTE can now tow. So, after a bit of research and a lucky connection with @Grant Thomas (who's father was looking for an Outlander) I got a great price for a 65 plate GTE that had been driven by a VW manager and had all the extras I was looking for.

The verdict so far? The GTE is an amazing piece of kit. It drives beautifully, has a similar electric range to the Outlander, but markedly superior driving dynamics and will be capable of much higher 'mpg' given the driving I do. Other benefits: its smaller size means it'll go in the garage; and my wife will drive it.

As for the Outlander, I still think it's a great piece of kit. The higher and upright driving position will suit some (older?) drivers; it's 4x4 and has good ground clearance; the tiptronic adjustment of regen is very clever and useable; better luggage carrying capability; better towing capability.

On balance though, the GTE is a better car for where I live and what I need. I'm happy. :)

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Congratulations! The Golf MQB platform is sweet to drive. I seriously considered the GTE for many of the same reasons and I am sure you'll continue to be happy with it..!

·
Registered
431 Posts
My GTE is showing 30 miles available this morning. It'll be interesting to see how many I actually achieve. Any longer term GTE owners have any insight into how the electric range prediction is arrived at? i.e. is it a guessometer as in the Leaf?
I've had an e-tron for over 7 months now so my experience should be broadly applicable to the GTE. I think the range predictor is based on an average of your recent drives. So only if driving conditions were identical would you get your predicted range, sometimes I have got more. The best predicted ranges seem to come after drives in hybrid auto. Logically I think this is because if you 'coast' after using the ICE the car counts this as part of emission free range and secondly in hybrid auto the car uses the battery preferentially for low loads switching to the ICE for higher loads again artificially boasting apparent EV range. This also leads to the bizarre statistic (albeit technically correct) on the car computer that you can drive 200 miles and still have had an apparent 35% EV motoring. In Summer I got predicted ranges of up to 33 miles, average now about 23 miles. In ideal Summer conditions driving marginally more sportily than a hearse I frequently came close to a 30 mile EV range on a continuous drive. Short 3-4 mile drives would not get near that cumulative total range. Recently in wet snow at -1c range down to 14-15 miles. So I would agree extremes of weather could lead to a 50% difference in range. Nevertheless my average mpg after 4500 miles is 134 which I am more than happy with.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yup. I achieved 21.5 miles of electric motoring in appalling weather conditions, so broadly equivalent to my Outlander's achievable electric-only range in the same conditions.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts