Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

Struggling to find this information online.

I want to replace our aging Leon estate family car with something more Enviro friendly.

My E-golf boot is much smaller than a regular golf so i wondered...

Is the Boot any smaller in the Passat Estate GTE compared to a regular passat estate?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I would suggest trawling the you tube video reviews of the Passat GTE Estate and see if any comment is made in them about it. I don't recall it in any of the Autocar/AutoExpress/Whatcar/etcetc online reviews - but might be.

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
I hate video reviews (especially amateur nonsense) such as waste of time.

Anyway, from Whatcar text...

"Compared with a conventionally powered Passat Estate, the GTE’s boot space isn’t heavily compromised; from 650 litres in petrol and diesel models with the rear seats up, the plug-in hybrid only drops to 580 litres"

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate video reviews (especially amateur nonsense) such as waste of time.

Anyway, from Whatcar text...

"Compared with a conventionally powered Passat Estate, the GTE’s boot space isn’t heavily compromised; from 650 litres in petrol and diesel models with the rear seats up, the plug-in hybrid only drops to 580 litres"
Thanks i couldnt find anything definate like this!

Trawling through pictures it seems like the top level is the same and then under the adjustable floor is smaller on the GTE

·
Registered
363 Posts
The boot floor on the conventional Passat Estate has two positions: the normal 'upper' position that gives you a flat floor level with the load lip, and a 'lower' position which leaves you with an un-even floor (it slopes near the back seats) but gives you a bit more space by dropping most of the floor by about two inches. Under the floor is space for a spare wheel and some cubby hole space.

On the GTE the floor cannot drop to the lower position because the petrol tank is in the way. Also that petrol tank deprives you of a space for a spare wheel. On the plus side though you get a really good and genuinely useful load space under there which I use for stowing an abundance of 'emergency' items (enough to survive a Zombie epocolypse I think).

Most of the time most people will leave the boot floor in the standard position so in that sense there's no difference between the two boots. And it's a fantastic boot - much better than your Leon estate and totally eclipsing a standard Golf never mind a Golf GTE!

The boot in the Passat Estate GTE really is fantastic and one of my reasons for choosing the car - a really generous space with really good access. It knocks spots off most estates on the market unless you go really big e.g. Audi A6 etc. It's like Volvos were back in the day! Also the rear seats can be folded down by pulling a release lever in the boot which is really convenient, and they've even made it so that the seat belts stay nicely out of the way when you do that.

In terms of practicality, you can't go wrong with this car. It also has proper roof rails for a roof rack, and the electric towbar is a very neat option with decent towing capacity.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Another thing worth pointing out is how easy the Passat Estate is to drive for such a large car. It feels as nimble and easy to drive as a Golf or Leon, with excellent visibility and manourvrability making it so easy and stress free to drive, yet it has huge load capacity and tons and tons of passenger room. I really don't know how VW have done it - a real tardis of a car! You never feel like you're trying to navigate some large barge in too small a space like I have often felt with large estates in the past (yes BMW 5-series, I'm talking about you).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing worth pointing out is how easy the Passat Estate is to drive for such a large car. It feels as nimble and easy to drive as a Golf or Leon, with excellent visibility and manourvrability making it so easy and stress free to drive, yet it has huge load capacity and tons and tons of passenger room. I really don't know how VW have done it - a real tardis of a car! You never feel like you're trying to navigate some large barge in too small a space like I have often felt with large estates in the past (yes BMW 5-series, I'm talking about you).
Thanks for all the info! Sounds excellent!

What kind of summer / winter electric only range do you get out of it?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bear in mind mine is the pre-facelift version with the smaller battery.

The other day I did 11 miles to a restaurant, 11 miles back, and still had 7 miles range showing, so that would have been 29 miles if I'd kept going. That was without the heater on and in 30/40mph limits the whole way. If I'd have done the same journey on the dual carriageway at 70mph I wouldn't have made the 22 miles on electric.

If you don't pre-heat and use the battery to heat the car when driving then that would drop a lot in winter. But I usually pre-heat and top off the battery just before I use the car, especially in winter, so I think I still get over 20 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts