Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So only just noticed this. If you check the image below. On the R line, GTD, GTI and R the 'inner' L shaped light show up. However, on the GTE it doesn't seems to be enabled. On the website the lights show via configuration.

It may be because we've got the C lights at the bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
What happens when you indicate? Does the inner L blink then?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope only the outer lights flash. Inner lights do not do anything. The LED strip and the place for the bulb do not light up :(

·
Registered
994 Posts

Can't work out if they are working in the new GTE ad?!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
5,919 Posts
The VW website pic of the red car is clearly a GTI, which doesn't have the C DRLs?

I expect it's just a website thing using stock pics.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The VW website pic of the red car is clearly a GTI, which doesn't have the C DRLs?

I expect it's just a website thing using stock pics.
I think this is what @Dumbletide means. He is showing the GTI pic of how it we thought it was supposed to look but saying the inner 'L' does not light up on the GTE.

The more I think about it the more I think this must be a fault though. I've seen many videos where both work on the GTE

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that GTE Jesper, I will raise it with the dealership. Doubt he will know what I'm getting at. Just annoying. I hope it's not a fault?

But yes the C lights at the bottom was my guess to why the inner lights were not working and were there for show!

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
I think this is what @Dumbletide means. He is showing the GTI pic of how it we thought it was supposed to look but saying the inner 'L' does not light up on the GTE.

The more I think about it the more I think this must be a fault though. I've seen many videos where both work on the GTE
Ah, I see now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the inner lights on or off can be coded via VCDS, or whatever system the dealer uses.

Different markets will have different setups.

Personally, I dislike the C bumper DRLs anyway and would rather code those off and just have the headlight DRLs.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
DRL's on/off etc is easy enough to do with VCDS, lights are one of the most "customisable" things.

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
Awesome, not sure if this is a silly question, but how do I get VCDS and how easy is it to use to turn this feature on?
It's not a silly question at all!

VCDS products are available here in the U.K.

Ross-Tech VCDS :: Gendan Automotive Products

The latest versions of VCDS do offer quite a bit of guidance whilst using it, but you can quite easily 'brick' modules on your car and get into a whole world of trouble if you blunder about.

I haven't been able to find the DRL off option in conjunction with other light options on for my Mk7 GTE, but that doesn't mean it's not there on the 7.5.

It's best to search for the feature you want to implement/change on the web, and follow the many guides for doing stuff. There is a VCDS Wikipedia type page too.

I've owned VCDS and its predecessor VAG-COM for over ten years and I've saved hundreds if not thousands of pounds on my own and friends cars in diagnostic fees and mods.

VCDS cables are all over eBay, but quite honestly I wouldn't recommend them as they often don't work and of course the vast majority of them are pirate versions.

It's an investment just to tweak some light settings, sure, but you can sell on a genuine cable/software easily enough and not lose too much money.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Definitely agree with @Tooks - don't go near the ebay versions, if you're going to do it just go official cable only.

Used to have a VCDS myself and also saved tons of cash and managed to get the internet and google earth working on previous car using a 4g mobile router in the glove box. Its a fantastic tool if you know what to do with it and there's tons of info and codes available.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds a little technical for my liking lol! Should I go to the dealership and see if they can assist first?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sounds a little technical for my liking lol! Should I go to the dealership and see if they can assist first?

It's very easy to use. Has tons of usage. It isn't cheap though.

You can a lot more with it that then dealer will do for you as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any other GTE owners that doesn't have this problem?! Need a number plate so I can prove it's a standard thing!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Any other GTE owners that doesn't have this problem?! Need a number plate so I can prove it's a standard thing!!

So are VW refusing to fix it? There are plenty of YouTube videos showing both the 'Ls' flashing when indicating

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just found out. This whole issue isn't infact an issue. It is an optional extra called 'dynamic curve lightning' so if you have this optional extra, it enables the inner LED light with both L's flashing + headlight adjustment going round corners.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts