Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

I love the look of my 2016 GTE but can't help but think the front bumper could look more aggressive. I appreciate the design is purposely subtle but I can't help but think a front splitter would improve things some way without being over the top. I mean, the GTD & GTI have sportier looking bumpers while remaining subtle.

I have a novice understanding of aerodynamics and I'm not looking to improve down force or anything like that. Just purely aesthetics.

There is plenty of splitters available for the Golf (mainly GTI / GTD) but wondered if anyone had experience fitting these or had seen them to purchase specifically for the GTE bumper?

I do like the image attached, although a little more noticeable than I would like.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,359 Posts
A cheap ‘hack’ that folks used to do on the Audi A3/VW Golf was to fit a Seat Cupra R front splitter.

Fairly inexpensive and just screwed on to the existing lower bumper using self tapping screws.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m also looking at getting a splitter for my mk7. The front end looks a bit bland compared to 7.5. Any recommendation for any would be great.
I’ve not com across the cupra R hack before so some info on that would be great. 👍

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm considering this...

You can get it Gloss or Matt & textured like the side skirts. Only thing stopping me is I've just brought a PodPoint wall charger & my car is on PCP so not sure where I stand on adding mods which require drilling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@SP36 thanks for the reply. I’ve just been looking at this. Think it will add a nice touch the mounts will only be on the under side of the bump. They’ll be bloody thorough if they look under there when (if) you return it. 😂

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Johnny138 I know but knowing my luck it'll be the case. However, if that happens I have considered that I would just buy it out right & part exchange with someone else. I can't see Arnold Clark having a problem if I'm taking out more finance with them but I've never had a PCP before & a friend of mine had their car inspected by the actual finance company when she returned it. Though she didn't have any mods so wasn't a problem.

Thing is I can't find much about people who have done this kind of subtle mod on PCP and had problems returning - which I guess is positive.

What I have done is brought some £10 gloss black vinyl wrap from eBay & wrapped the chrome on the lower grill between the two DLR lights - really easy to do. This makes a difference giving the car as slightly larger mouth. I also have some light smoke vinyl to mask the remaining chrome on the actual DLR lights. I haven't got round to this yet as it can apparently go brittle in the cold weather. Got these ideas from a eGolf owner on here.

Still needs that splitter though.
:ROFLMAO:

I've be interested if you did decided to get one. It might spur me on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts