Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
GTE Advance,Isaac Blue Steel,Keyless entry
252 Posts
Or :- Another Two year fresh service plan - £405.00 ( This will include 2 free MOT's ).
An apparent saving of £117.00 PLUS the cost of 2 MOT's ????.
I keep seeing mention of service plans but when I try to buy one online I get the message that electric vehicles aren't included. I got my Advance in June this year.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got 2 years free service thrown in on my GTE. Can you choose which service you get free? My first one is the oil change so was hoping I could pay for that one and then use the 2 free services for yrs 2 and 3?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I keep seeing mention of service plans but when I try to buy one online I get the message that electric vehicles aren't included. I got my Advance in June this year.
Hi @Pineman, check with you local dealer. They are VW backed dealer service plans, they are available with most manufactures now. My wife had new Fiat 500 back in July 2016, that we had a 2 year service plan with from dealer we purchased the car from. The car has just received its second and final service under that plan. A service plan "usually" works out to cheaper than paying on the day for each service.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The 40k service should include the DSG service and spark plugs amongst other things, so check both things are included.
It didn’t for me and I was quite annoyed about it. My car had its 4th service at 37k miles and then I had a phone call from dealer HQ telling me the gearbox needed individual servicing at 40k miles. Monies aside I’m in Bedfordshire and I use a dealer in Hertfordshire which is a right royal pain to get to but they are very good and seem to understand good communication.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,886 Posts
It didn’t for me and I was quite annoyed about it. My car had its 4th service at 37k miles and then I had a phone call from dealer HQ telling me the gearbox needed individual servicing at 40k miles. Monies aside I’m in Bedfordshire and I use a dealer in Hertfordshire which is a right royal pain to get to but they are very good and seem to understand good communication.
That’s annoying!

I was trying to say that the DSG oil needs changing at 40k so make sure your dealer is aware of this and quotes accordingly.

Mine didn’t, until I mentioned it.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
I have mine set to 20k servicing
The GTE should be set to 10k fixed interval servicing.

A few lease cars are out there still set to long life variable servicing, but that’s incompatible with the servicing requirements of the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes,

A few lease cars are out there still set to long life variable servicing, but that’s incompatible with the servicing requirements of the vehicle.

Yes, that´s correct! That was one of the things that cooled my desire to buy a Gte. Service every year ( and not a very cheap one).

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Most manufactures have a 12 month or 10,000 mile service interval for Petrol cars. Do they need it that often ?. That’s another story altogether !!!

·
Registered
126 Posts

What's incompatible ?
What is the full service Schedule ?
Dealer confirmed long / variable / 20k was applicable.
My take is the engine only runs for 1/2 the amount of time so 20k should be easy

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
What's incompatible ?
What is the full service Schedule ?
Dealer confirmed long / variable / 20k was applicable.
My take is the engine only runs for 1/2 the amount of time so 20k should be easy
The GTE should be on 10k mile service intervals.

The engine may not be running as frequently as a 100% ICE car, but when it does run it’s often in more challenging conditions.

For example, the first time it needs to fire up might be when you’re doing 70 on the motorway, where it’ll be asked to go from cold to 2000rpm and stay there.

Or go from off to a 4000rpm overtake, again from cold.

I’m not saying you drive like that, but many will, and the engine along with it’s service regime have been designed accordingly.

Unless they’ve recently changed the servicing requirements here in the U.K., and I’d want to know how and why, it sounds like your dealer is advising you incorrectly I’m afraid?

Give VW U.K. a call to check, or even another dealer?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The GTE should be on 10k mile service intervals.

The engine may not be running as frequently as a 100% ICE car, but when it does run it’s often in more challenging conditions.

For example, the first time it needs to fire up might be when you’re doing 70 on the motorway, where it’ll be asked to go from cold to 2000rpm and stay there.

Or go from off to a 4000rpm overtake, again from cold.

I’m not saying you drive like that, but many will, and the engine along with it’s service regime have been designed accordingly.

Unless they’ve recently changed the servicing requirements here in the U.K., and I’d want to know how and why, it sounds like your dealer is advising you incorrectly I’m afraid?

Give VW U.K. a call to check, or even another dealer?
@Tooks is completely 100% correct.
The service indicator on the GTE should be set to require a service at 12 months or 10,000 miles ( which ever comes first ) at the time when the car is P.D.I. inspected, prior to delivery to the customer.
I see your point that the engine is not receiving the use of a normal ICE Golf, but when it is suddenly brought into life, the high and sudden demand is quite hard on the engine.
I was warning by the senior tech prior to buying my car that the service intervals have to be carried out to time or mileage to the letter to avoid conflict with the cars warranty !.
He said the main concern with the oil in the engine is condensation forming due to the long periods of time that the ICE is inactive. The most amount of wear in an engine is incurred when starting from cold, when the car has reached its normal working temp this is reduced.
Remember, the engine in the GTE spends a lot of it's time either not being used at all ( electric drive ) or dropping in and out due to the requirements of the driver or the choice made by hybrid mode.
I would like to see the colour of the engine oil drained from a GTE after only a 12 month or 10,000 mile service. I think it would be quite clean, but thats not to say it has NOT being contaminated by condensation of course !.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I deffinately buy into the point about condensation and increased % of cold operation.
But also buy into VW general statement

Flexible Service Regime (LongLife Service)
We recommend this service if you are likely to drive more than 25 miles a day, and if you tend to drive in the following way:
  • Regular long distance driving
  • Driving at a constant speed with minimum vehicle and engine loading, and minimal towing
  • Economical driving
This Flexible regime has been made possible due to the development of new Volkswagen engines with the latest technically advanced longlife oil. These engines use built-in sensors that continually monitor the oil quality, making it possible to enjoy reliable and confident motoring for up to a maximum of 18,000* miles or 24 months (whichever occurs first).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also...........
Features of the flexible service
In the flexible service you only need to have an oil change service carried out if your vehicle requires one. To determine this point in time, individual operating conditions and personal driving style are taken into account. An important part of the flexible service is the use of LongLife engine oil instead of conventional oil.

If you do not wish to have the flexible service, you can opt for the fixed service instead. Your service advisor will be pleased to offer you assistance.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
The info on servicing on the VW website is great, and is fine for cars that are designed to run the flexible service schedule (used to be long life years previously).

However, the GTE is an exception, and requires 10k fixed service intervals. It’s the same regime as all VWs are required to run in ‘harsh environments’, and the hybrid works the engine such that it’s considered a harsh environment.

At the end of the day, People are sharing their knowledge for free, and it really is no skin off my nose if you leave it on flexible servicing. Should you need to claim on the warranty though, then you may find you come unstuck. Get it in writing from your dealer that your specific car is fine for flexible servicing and you might be ok.

Unfortunately, most car dealers don’t have a great track record around being correct regarding servicing, I know they should but they seem to struggle with all the models and options.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The info on servicing on the VW website is great, and is fine for cars that are designed to run the flexible service schedule (used to be long life years previously).

However, the GTE is an exception, and requires 10k fixed service intervals. It’s the same regime as all VWs are required to run in ‘harsh environments’, and the hybrid works the engine such that it’s considered a harsh environment.

At the end of the day, People are sharing their knowledge for free, and it really is no skin off my nose if you leave it on flexible servicing. Should you need to claim on the warranty though, then you may find you come unstuck. Get it in writing from your dealer that your specific car is fine for flexible servicing and you might be ok.

Unfortunately, most car dealers don’t have a great track record around being correct regarding servicing, I know they should but they seem to struggle with all the models and options.
My feelings on this subject are the same @Tooks.
I would challenge the dealer regarding your GTE ................ Just ask them WHY your car appears to be the exception to the rule with regards to the service schedule ??.
Check with an alternative dealer or ring VW customer service, then at least THEY can provide some feed back to the dealer who appears to have little knowledge of what the demands are for the GTE.
My main concern would be trusting this dealer to carry out the work correctly if they struggling with a simple issue like the service schedules !.
Either they are correct or the majority of GTE owners on this forum are having there cars serviced to often !.
Did the same dealer carry out the PDI check on the car by any chance ?.
If so, that may explain why the service schedule has not been set correctly.
I would be more concerned getting this issue corrected if I had purchased the car out right.
If it is a PCP / Lease car you will be handing back, then less so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've been running a GTE from new since 2016 and agree oil change every 10k due to way car is used. Seemed odd to me too but my independent garage with 2 ex VW trained mechanics agreed with comments above and said stick to the 10k mileage for oil changes. The gearbox needs an oil change at 40,000 miles but we didn't change the gearbox filter or housing as it sits above the gearbox under the motor and you'd need to drop the gearbox to access it as far as we could see. We needed 7 litres of oil as we filled it from the bottom which seems a bit wasteful as the box takes less than this but sets its level when running it -left this to the garage to do. The plugs on mine were fine and in fairness they haven't done many miles as most of our driving is electric but changed them anyway. Plugs on Euro car parts about £10 each.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My GTE had the filter changed when the oil was serviced; it was part of the specification.

I also had plugs changed but yes as you describe mostly unnecessary for a car used on EV all the time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My GTE had the filter changed when the oil was serviced; it was part of the specification.

I also had plugs changed but yes as you describe mostly unnecessary for a car used on EV all the time.
Do you know for certain if the filter was changed. If it was vw dealer even if it appeared on the bill I doubt they did it!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts