Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,886 Posts
My GTE had the filter changed when the oil was serviced; it was part of the specification.

I also had plugs changed but yes as you describe mostly unnecessary for a car used on EV all the time.
How much did they charge you for the filter? As far as I’m aware, the DQ400 does not have a filter that can be changed without dropping the gearbox.

I believe it’s designed to last the design life of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
Its just an ordinary filter similar to engine oil filter. Its on the top like the non hybrid but its on its side.
Are the DQ400e boxes different in the Golf and Passat?

The reason I ask is that I looked everywhere for the filter on the DSG box, removing lots of other parts to help with access etc, and there was nothing like in your picture.

I was also told by VW dealers on the three occasions my DSG oil was changed that the Golf GTE doesn’t have a filter that requires changing, just the oil at the recommended intervals.

It’s a puzzler!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have e-tron which has to be identical to gte. I can see my filter from above...and the 3 "plugs" they don't change. I posted on the e-tron page about my bill itemising a filter and was hoping someone would also say that they had been billed for a filter even though it was not changed. Autodoc kit includes oil and filter! No one from audi/vw has an explaination.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
I have e-tron which has to be identical to gte. I can see my filter from above...and the 3 "plugs" they don't change. I posted on the e-tron page about my bill itemising a filter and was hoping someone would also say that they had been billed for a filter even though it was not changed. Autodoc kit includes oil and filter! No one from audi/vw has an explaination.
It is a bit strange, my GTE was an early one (2015), I wonder if they changed the DQ400e spec at some point?

I feel sure that the dealer would have loved to charge me for a filter with a margin on top, but they never did.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have used an online parts catalogue with the part no off my bill. I will see if there is a year change. I also have access to the repair manual somewhere. Unfortunately will not be able to let you know until tomorrow evening. Part number is A0BH 325 183 B (£15.88 +VAT)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
It's academic for me now, I no longer have the GTE, but it would certainly be helpful for current owners I expect.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thats why I was trying to find more information. I would like access to the German Customer Service (they will not speak to me and audi uk are part of the problem!!). Any help would be appreciated why do we change the filters on all other wet clutch dsg but not ours? Is the oil change really needed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aware this is a UK forum, but I’m based in Norway and have just been quoted £600 for a DSG oil change on my Passat GTE (£1300 for the complete 40k miles service). Usually I’d semi DIY it or take it to a local non-VW dealership, but this is the first car I’ve bought new so kind of keen to do it properly. Not sure there’s any way around this ludicrous price, just wanted to share my pain 😢

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,108 Posts
Under EU law servicing can be done by anybody provided they use parts and fluids to the correct specification whilst still maintaining the manufacturer's warranty. Two issues arise - Norway's semi-detached status from the EU and the lack of clarity on what the servicing requirements actually are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Indeed yep. To be honest it’s not so much that I’m worried about EU law, more just that the first major service is done by VW, even at this bonkers price. They’ll do bits like clean and lubricate the sunroof mechanism and do a few other things which I’m not sure a local garage would do to the same standard. Gonna have to bite the bullet on this one I think..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lets talk about a car without warranty now. As you can see in the video i made, there is no room to remove the filter. Probably thats why its not often replaced. It would need to remove the gearbox. Am i wrong?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Lets talk about a car without warranty now. As you can see in the video i made, there is no room to remove the filter. Probably thats why its not often replaced. It would need to remove the gearbox. Am i wrong?

Given the price for a DSG oil change at the main dealers, I very much doubt this involves removing the gear box !.
Is it a "Life Time" non removable filter ?.
Refilling the DSG oil after it has been drained, is not a straight forward process without the right equipment I believe.
Make sure you have the right equipment before you drain the oil !.
Saving the money on a DIY oil change could be an expensive mistake if you damage that gearbox as a result !.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Finally a video about DQ400E gearbox oil change:

Also someone kindly posted the VCDS instructions:

Process is simple, on vcds go to gearbox ecu, then basic functions and search for empty oil reservoir , you will hear the sound of valve releasing. You will have fail message in dash ( that's o.k 😉 ) .
Go under car to undo drain plugs and drain oil from gearbox ( you can see sequence in this video ) . Then just fill oil aprox 5L ( offcourse after screwing back 2 drain plugs witch were undone last , and plastic one ).

Then go back to vcds , gearbox , basic settings, search for fill oil reservoir , it will take some time to build back presure in , you will hear pump is working and shutting down when it reaches desired pressure.

Then start the car and go through gears, leaving for a few seconds in each, check oil temperature in gearbox to be in 30-40° c . Shut down car , and proceed again to vcds and go to gearbox, basic functions, check oil level , start it.

Go under the car and undo drain plug with plastic insert inside, and wait til oil comes almoast dripping, put plug back and you have done your oil change . Check fail codes ,there will be some after loosing pressure . 😉

41 - 55 of 55 Posts