Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The golf gte advanced has landed on the company car list at work and I'm really tempted.

I currently own a 320d bmw which has achieved around 55mpg over the last 40k miles. My commute reanges as I work from multiple locations, say anything from 3miles to 60.

The plan would be to charge the gte every night. On the days of a 60mile commute on the motorway what would I expect to get mpg? Reading many articles I have yet to get a difinative answer.

Many thanks
Andy

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
3,265 Posts
Starting with a full battery, your GTE will do about 24 miles on EV in good summer weather. In winter probably 18 to 20 miles. Any use of heating or AC will reduce that range.

Over 60 miles trip you could expect to get over 70 mpg if you arrive with 0 battery. If it is 2 x 30 mile trips and you have the possibility to charge at both ends, you could expect high 90ties mpg.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
It will be competitive with your outgoing 320d, I wouldn’t worry about that.

As above, I’d you can charge at half way on the longest commute, you’ll be even better.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
3,265 Posts
My trip is 60miles each way. What would you expect on the return journey assuming battery on 0 miles?
Depleting the battery is not a very good idea if you have distance to travel. My preferred way of doing 120 miles would be to go EV in populated areas and use Hybrid Hold on any motorway. Then when you near your final destination burn the remaining EV to 0. Charge and do it again.. :D

If you do get the Advance, you might want to investigate how the predictive NAV thing works... we don't know yet..:confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I picked my new Advance up last month from Crewe, fully charged, drove the 260 miles straight to north of Glasgow at sensible speeds mainly on cruise - which let me play with the toys a little - and got around 54mpg. Not too bad for a tight engine and only one charge and most of a tank of fuel. The next 900 as mentioned elsewhere have been covered on one tank too, with the help of solar. I'd agree with Todor your mileage will lie at the higher range.

A nice feature - if you set things up right - you can preheat the car on those winter mornings (that's most of the year in Scotland) which is brilliant. No waiting for the engine to warm up or use AC when starting off.
Mind you, the car net app is worse than useless, I've still to figure out if it's doing what it's told.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
3,265 Posts
My profile is not the same as yours. My commute is all in EV range. But I often do over 300 miles return trip, just this weekend I did another stint: 57mpg on the way over, 55mpg on the return.

Over the 8k miles that I have done in the car, my average mpg is in my signature...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
77mpg is impressive. Not everyday is a 120mile round trip, somedays 30, 40 or 15.

Think I will book a life style test drive. Any idea what's the wait time on new orders?

Thanks everyone for comments.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just handed back my 320d Efficient Dynamics with 179k miles on it after 4 years. I probably averaged 53mpg and it never, ever went wrong. I have a 125 mile round trip most weekdays and can only currently charge at home. After 1000 miles in the GTE these are my experiences:

Run as a hybrid on the motorway, without charging at all, I get 45-50mpg. That's cruising at 75-80 using ACC (which is very good) when I can. I have the AC on all the time and don't drive like an old lady (but not like a tw$t either) . That's a mix of wet/dry with 0,1 and 2 passengers.

On my 62 mile trip to work, fully charged and letting the car decide, it was about 65mpg. On the way home with no charge a bit over 50mpg (it's not all motorway).

I don't know whether I have the predictive NAV thing (no Advance but have Discover Nav). However, the first time I drove to work in hybrid mode and satnav on, it ran EV until 0 elec miles. The next time it didn't; it saved some and used on the non motorway stretches. Don't know if that's the same thing but I forgot to plug it in last night so couldn't try again. I'll see what it does tomorrow.

I suspect the OP would easily beat the BMW's mileage if he plugs in daily.

I nearly forgot to say the GTE is a lovely car and the EV mode is brilliant.

·
Registered
893 Posts
+1 to points above.

The only other think I would say is you should find your shorter journeys much more efficient than the diesel. They take longer to warm up due to needing a heavier engine block especially in winter, so consume more for short journeys.

Reactions: phproxy

·
Registered
102 Posts
Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel
I had a 320d sport (not m-sport) (12 plate - the very first of the latest shape) until September when I got my GTE

My daily commute is 50 miles each way, with just over half on dual carriageway, the rest doing 30-50 around Nottingham with the occasional crawl.

Like you, I got 55-60mpg from my Bmw.

I can only charge at home at the moment. So I am still playing around - but generally find I have one journey better than the other. As a rule one will be 65-75, and the other 50-60. So I reckon I’m averaging about 60 - maybe a bit less. But that’s not strictly true, because to get 60 I’ve also added ~£1 of electricity.

At the weekend I’m hardly using any petrol. So even if I am slightly worse off on the week, I more than make up for it at the weekend plus the BIK pickup.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took delivery of my standard GTE on 22nd December, I chose the GTE as I hated my last company car and wanted something I might enjoy driving for the next 4 years! The car hasn’t been plugged in and charged (I have a work fuel card and my employer has refused to pay for a charge point installation!) First 500 miles have been covered at an average of 34mpg. I’ve not changed my driving style and I’ve used GTE a few times but probably less than 10% of the 500 miles travelled. Other car in the house is a 2.0TDi Bluemotion Golf which returns 52mpg from my driving style and my last car was an Auris Touring Sport Hybrid (A truly dreadful car) and returned 45mpg.

·
Registered
Kona64
2,050 Posts
@MattFN 34mpg in a Golf GTE is very low ...... do you find the EV battery is nearly always 0-2 miles ?
It sounds like your routes + traffic loads are not allowing the car system to recharge the EV to 3 (which it what it tries to do in Hybrid mode).
Whilst it's trying to do that charge to up 3, whilst also propelling the car, the mpg is pants.

If your journey each day starts with 2-3 miles EV, and it drives off in eMode and 2real miles later the ICE kicks in, and the rest of your trip is fast motorway then the overall mpg will be terrible.

If you can, maybe manually kick the car into Hybrid as soon as you first set off( fast presses of the eMode button)
and that might help lift the mpg, as the car then may stay out of the zone of trying to recharge+propel.

Also I came from an Auris HSD to the Golf GTE and found they drove very differently about when the ICE got woken up. Took me a long while to re-learn how to tickle the throttle to stop the petrol engine coming in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.