Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Passat GTE 10 months. (Bought used)
Got Gearbox error and Hybrid System Error messages when I tried to start. (60% charge on battery)
AA came out, tried clearing faults log, tried to start with booster pack and then with jump leads (in case 12v battery not got enough juice) but all to no avail. So he towed it away to the supplying VW dealer.
The following day, their diagnostic finds no faults and started fine!
Clearly there's a gremlin - but Anyone had a similar problem / heard of this before / know what needs fixing?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,189 Posts
How old is the car?

12v batteries getting old cause all manner of reported faults/glitches on GTEs so I’d be looking at changing that out for the sake of £50-60.

On the Golf version, they’re not AGM or anything fancy, just bog standard lead acid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tooks,
Thanks for your response.
It's a 2017 with 32000 miles. Changing the 12v quoted at £300 by the dealer (as that's one thing I thought it might be) The local parts shop say I'd need to have it fitted by a dealer as it needs to be coded...
However, wouldn't the use of a booster pack and jump leads not have overcome any starting issue? The AA man tried both with no success. But the main dealer says it started fine!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hi Tooks,
Thanks for your response.
It's a 2017 with 32000 miles. Changing the 12v quoted at £300 by the dealer (as that's one thing I thought it might be) The local parts shop say I'd need to have it fitted by a dealer as it needs to be coded...
However, wouldn't the use of a booster pack and jump leads not have overcome any starting issue? The AA man tried both with no success. But the main dealer says it started fine!!
First step might be to find another dealer and parts shop - £300 is taking the p, and it does not need to be coded to the car.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,816 Posts
Really, this sort of thing is fraud by a dealer that tries to claim this sort of thing.

We live in a society that is permissive of such things. It can come to no good the more we allow this sort of thing and there is no enforcement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for everyone who took the trouble to offer advice.

The GTE was taken to the supplying dealer by the AA. They had it over the weekend and can find no fault. Starting fine, no error codes logged, no problems at all!

I've got it back home, so will have to wait and see what (if anything) happens next! But now I am not filled with confidence in the car. Will have to stay close to home for a while!!!

Safe driving everyone :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Had my Passat GTE 10 months. (Bought used)
Got Gearbox error and Hybrid System Error messages when I tried to start. (60% charge on battery)
AA came out, tried clearing faults log, tried to start with booster pack and then with jump leads (in case 12v battery not got enough juice) but all to no avail. So he towed it away to the supplying VW dealer.
The following day, their diagnostic finds no faults and started fine!
Clearly there's a gremlin - but Anyone had a similar problem / heard of this before / know what needs fixing?
Thanks in advance!
Just a thought but...

Has the 12v battery got a 200A fuse on it?

The Golfs have had fractured fuses, causing intermittent issues, and various errors. i would have thought the AA man would have been aware of this and checked?

The 🐵that checked your car at the dealer, lets just say there's good 🐵 and bad ones 🙈

·
EV: VW Passat GTE Estate
40 Posts
FWIW .... have you been coasting in neutral recently?
Hi Donald - Whats the reason for this question?
- Its something I have done from time to time and as you see from my own posting of this fault I am wondering if could it have a bearing on the cause of the error message?

Thanks

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,816 Posts
Because this was a long discussion in another thread.

I've been trying to explain to folks why drifting in neutral can damage cars, and almost everyone here won't hear of it and tell my I am an idiot, or something.

My first 'specific' reply;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts