Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
Picked up our 18 Reg GTE yesterday, when we left the dealership the car was saying 23 miles of range available.
Charged over night to full charge and it’s only saying 13 miles of range.
Is this going off how we drove the car last, is the cold affecting is, or is it simply not right?
Thanks, Drew

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Hi, great car almost got one myself but went for the full ev golf. The range is just a guess so don’t take it literally, as you drive it will change depending on your driving style, geography, temperature etc. Enjoy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, great car almost got one myself but went for the full ev golf. The range is just a guess so don’t take it literally, as you drive it will change depending on your driving style, geography, temperature etc. Enjoy
Thanks for your reply.I thought this might be the case but I thought it would still show 20+ miles after a charge?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Having had a GTE mk7.5 for 3 years I would say 23 miles would be OK for winter, 27 miles in summer. You'll see a massive jump in range if you just temporarily switch of climate control, heated seats, rear window heater and mirror heaters but obviously you'll need these in the current weather. Also check you are charging to 100%, so many settings in the menu for reduced setting but make sure it is set to 100%. Also as above post says, drive around for a week or so and see what it settles on. Imagine if the range meter was for a tiny, tiny petrol tank and the car didn't yet know how you drove!

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
A few days ago, it was -8C outside and my GTE proudly said it would manage 14 miles. After 15 miles of driving, the car said it was at 0 miles EV range, but still quite happily drove along in EV mode. 5 miles later, I got home without having to switch on the engine once. I have no idea how much further I could have gone before the engine actually fired up.

It's better to watch the consumption readout and gauge range from that. I averaged 2.2 miles/kWh on that chilly drive (very slow progress and the heaters were earning their keep that day), so the implication is that I could have managed 22 miles with my ~10kWh usable battery capacity. Incidentally, the car is now proudly saying that it'll manage 22 miles. Go figure.

Moral of the story - the range estimate from the car is garbage.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Does the ICE remain off if you accelerate hard, or you turn on the cabin heater?
The ICE remains off when using the heater.

In normal driving the ICE remains off when you accelerate. If you floor it hard enough for long enough you might get the ICE to kick in, but I never have.

There is plenty of electric only acceleration up to motorway speeds. Not as much as a pure EV, not as much as when in GTE mode, but enough for normal driving.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,534 Posts
What ^^^ he said.

Just wanted to clarify couple of things:
While in EV mode, the car will happily carry on if you have sufficient charge and sticking below the energy required on the hybrid screen.
There are a few ways the ICE beast will awake:
* Press go pedal beyond boost on dash or click on pedal. Best way is try it, feel for the stop travel of the pedal, and push further for the click.
* battery soc is too low, observe hybrid screen on dashboard, for gray Vs blue power requirements.
* Very low outside temp, -10deg C or something similar.
* Maintenance cycle, I'm not sure how often, but the ICE will run an automatic maintenance cycle.

Reactions: Johnny Read

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd also point out the range anxiety in PHEV is worse than in a BEV! When in a PHEV you are really keen to do a journey on EV miles only to such an obsession that you start switching heaters off! Because the vast vast majority of journeys are around 20miles or under you'd hardly notice this in a BEV but creates anxiety if you're going to make it home before the ICE kicks in with a PHEV!! Utter madness I know but absolutely true.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
I'd also point out the range anxiety in PHEV is worse than in a BEV! When in a PHEV you are really keen to do a journey on EV miles only to such an obsession that you start switching heaters off! Because the vast vast majority of journeys are around 20miles or under you'd hardly notice this in a BEV but creates anxiety if you're going to make it home before the ICE kicks in with a PHEV!! Utter madness I know but absolutely true.
Chill!!

Does it matter if you use a thimbleful of petrol?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Not my experience, but each to their own. At least the PHEV is not going to leave you stranded if you push your luck.

Anything 15 miles or less I know will be all electric, regardless of weather. Anything 25 miles or more I know will use petrol. Between the two I usually know as soon as I see the air temperature and consider where I am going if I will make it on electric or not.

I quite enjoy seeing the GOM click over to zero when I am nearly home, and squeezing the last few amps out of the battery if I can.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Utter madness I know
Agreed, utter madness, but thankfully not a problem that I have. The engine is there to be used, and the EV mode is a party trick to reduce tailpipe emissions, nothing more. If you want to do your whole journey in EV mode, sell the PHEV and buy an EV.

To be fair, since I last refueled, the party trick in my GTE has meant that I've managed 900 miles on half a tank of fuel (25 litres) and I haven't changed my driving patterns or style since getting a PHEV, so it's a very good trick. Am I going to stress about only achieving 164mpg? Nope. Not even slightly.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Also just to point out I mustn't have been the only one with range anxiety in a PHEV more than BEV considering nearly every single post on the GTE forum is either 'my estimated range is too low' or people describing how they eke out every last mile by freezing to death in Winter with no heating.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
nearly every single post on the GTE forum is either 'my estimated range is too low'
That's people not understanding how test cycles and marketing works. A petrol/diesel car reports consumption and nobody complains that it doesn't match the brochure numbers. An EV reports range to empty, and everybody is surprised that it doesn't match the brochure numbers. Go figure.
people describing how they eke out every last mile by freezing to death in Winter with no heating.
I'll give you that one. And I maintain that if they want to drive everywhere in EV mode, they bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
202 Posts
I think that is where the a250e Mercedes PHEVs are useful with their 35-40 real mile range on ev (according to reviews that I have seen. That ev range gives many people the option of running on pure electric for their commutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts