Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"Almost a third (31 per cent) of owners with a Mk7 Golf GTE said their car suffered a fault in the previous year, with the biggest issue being with the gearbox and clutch - which can be a pricey repair once the car is outside the warranty period.
Fortunately for their owners, all the cars reported with these issues were covered to be repaired for free, though around three-quarters were off the road for more than a week being fixed."

I know a few people on the forum have had clutch issues but I don't remember it being that high. I wonder given the smallish number of GTEs on the road if the results were skewed by reporting bias with people with problems responding.

Have many of you experienced clutch issues? None for me but then I have only done 30,000 gentle miles.

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
Here is link to actual report rather than a third party site. Good to see that i3 and Model S have improved in newer cars.

Reactions: doccb1979

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is link to actual report rather than a third party site. Good to see that i3 and Model S have improved in newer cars.

Thanks, but having now compared the two the text is virtually the same and it is annoyingly spread over 3 pages. Would have been nice to see a bit more detail on the methods and results in the WhatCar article.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,054 Posts
Thanks, but having now compared the two the text is virtually the same and it is annoyingly spread over 3 pages. Would have been nice to see a bit more detail on the methods and results in the WhatCar article.

Sure, but I don't think it is great when a site copies most of the value, or do you think Whatcar get some revenue share? It seems odd they would allow it otherwise. Also there might be more details in print version perhaps?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure, but I don't think it is great when a site copies most of the value, or do you think Whatcar get some revenue share? It seems odd they would allow it otherwise. Also there might be more details in print version perhaps?
I see your point.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
AFAIK the clutch issues only affected the Mk7.5's causing juddering. I think it was down to bad calibration of the clutch profile rather than a fault with the gearbox itself. Is this still an issue?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AFAIK the clutch issues only affected the Mk7.5's causing juddering. I think it was down to bad calibration of the clutch profile rather than a fault with the gearbox itself. Is this still an issue?
Interesting. I have a Mk7 so didn't encounter that. Pity we don't have access to the detailed numbers. I wonder what the reliability would be if you take that one issue out.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
I did over 90k miles in mine, and most of that running a tuning box.

No gearbox or clutch pack issues at all, but the first service did pick up a very minor oil leak from a seal, and that was fixed under warranty before the next service.

Mine all told was reliable, never let me down, had a couple of software wobbles that were cured by clearing the codes and rebooting.

Servicing regime was quite rigid and potentially ruinous though, particularly at DSG oil change time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts