Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would soon need to replace some of the tyres on my Golf GTE 2015. At the moment, I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 3 225/40R18 92Y. For an EV, they have quite a low fuel economy rating (E rating) and are 71dB noise level. I was wondering if I can replace Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 225/40WR18 92W? This tyre is much more fuel efficient and has lower noise levels (69dB). So my questions around it are:
1. Can I go down a speed rating (From Y to W) but significantly higher than the car's top speed of 138mph? So not breaking the law there.
2. Can I have 2 different tyre speed rated tyres (same rated tyres on the same axle)? And eventually have all 4 tyres on the same speed rating

Thank you for your help. Any other suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I believe that the speed rating set for the tyres on a vehicle does not just depend on the maximum speed of the vehicle. It is often a mechanism to get a tyre with suitable strength characteristics.

My own choice of tyres was based on the dreadful noise level and cold/wet weather performance of the factory tyres. I went for Michelin Cross Climate Plus as I am too mean and lazy to buy a set of winter tyres and rims and switch them over twice a year.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
For insurance purposes, downgrading the speed rating of the tyres will give your insurer an excellent excuse to tell you that any claim will not be paid because you're not using the correct tyres.
You can change the brand and EU ratting of the tyres but things like size, speed rating and load should be kept the same.
This is also valid if you upgrade the speed rating, it is idiotic but insurers will use any excuse.

A wee note, EU rating are as useless as a door on a desert island :) they are set by the manufacturer and under lab settings.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Are you sure about those ratings for the good years? I thought the db was 67.

I would stick with the Goodyears, or if you want more grip then Michelin Pilot Sport 4s or for an all rounder go with TomH suggestion of Michelin CrossClimates.

Regarding the EU ratings, I have to say I've not found the Goodyears to be much better than the bridgestones in terms of grip and noise. Certainly an improvement, but not by much. Perhaps my expectations were set too high given how much postive feedback there was for them.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Are you sure about those ratings for the good years? I thought the db was 67.
I was also of the same opinion ?.
I had the OEM Bridgestone’s on my GTE for about 22,000 miles and COULD not get rid of them fast enough !.
I went for the Goodyear’s F1’s and found them better in every department.
The noise and lack of traction on the OEM tyres where shocking.
What a terrible choice of tyre for a part EV car !.
I found the compound of the tyres WAY to hard and therefore the side walls so ridged, you could feel every small bump in the road.
Going over a rubble strip or even just overtaking over the cats eyes in the centre of the road would almost shake your fillings out.
After putting up with the OEM tyre’s for that long, sorry but I would never have a Bridgestone tyre on my car again !.
Horses for courses I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts