Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
19 Posts
Interesting! It was on the dash. Think it was a fault with the charger though as it stayed orange for a couple of minutes then I gave up. Was worried it was the cable but thankfully the cable is fine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thank you for all the input.
I read all and even made some notes.
Only 1 question still bothers me.
What wall charger should I got for?
I seen a lot has changed over the years and recently I been quoted by place called Phoenix Works from Leeds for EO mini charger.
I like the way it looks (tiny box with nearly half of its size to be a socket) however I don't believe it has any antitheft safety features.
I been quoted for untethered Type 2 socket version 32A.
Price £918 - £500 grant so £418 for me.
I will definitely go for something as safe as possible.
The wall where charger will be mounted is 5m away from main path along busy street in Corby.
Rather shady and not exposed but the cable will be clearly visible to passers by. Ideally an antitheft feature would give us a peace of mind when charging overnight.
I can remove all unnecessary info from this post as soon as I get a solution to keep the junk of our forum.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
For antitheft with a socket EVSE, specify a padlockable hardpoint or better still a Motorised cable lock with a remote switch to control the motor .

Note, default cheap method of cable locking is a solenoid: the problem with a solenoid is that it will always be unlocked when the cable is not plugged into the car.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My only problem with solenoids and motorised locks is that they fail to work usually at most awkward time, most people seem to use passsive measures such as locks and chains, you can of course set the car up to alarm if the cable is disturbed.
No one on the forum has reported having a cable stolen that I have seen so I don't see a major concern, physcological measures might be just as effective for example label the cable ends 'Danger of death 400v DC' that will put off most people I think.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Not had any problems in 2 years+ on my socketed chargemaster. The cable is padlocked to the wall, This is really a deterrence as I haven't even bothered with one way screws.

upload_2018-10-7_9-6-15.png

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for a good tip Spiny.
One question to Blackamp. How can I set the alarm on the charging cable?
Must be somewhere in car settings.
I assume it sets disabled when car is open and armed when car is shut?
Just a wild guess.
I do like the idea of having a cable plugged in overnight alarm going off if someone tries to unplug it.
Will wait patiently for your tips.
I got a lot to learn.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
it's in the settings depending on MY sorry you have to read the manual, once it's enabled just lock the car after plugging in the cable, unlock the car before removing the cable or the alarm will sound to cancel it just unlock the car from the keyfob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another newbie here. Love the amp so far,(14 plate) although don't think I have managed more than about 35 miles on a charge yet.
A few questions for the experts, apologies if they are stupid. As Winter arrives, is it better to charge when the battery is warm, maybe pre-heat at start of charge, or doesn't it matter?. Is there any advantage in charging at 6 amp (if circuits can manage 10 amps OK) such as more charge or lfor longterm battery life? Is it better to charge up everyday, even if only a few miles have been used and there is plenty left for the next day. Thanks

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Use the timer, sets the end of charge time. This will warm the battery ready to leave. Once cold weather is here then allow half hour to precondition twice and top the battery back up on a wallbox. On the granny lead allow an hour, preconditioning will drain the battery more and take a while to charge back up.

6A is safer and the default on the granny lead, if using the 10A setting check the plug the first few times for heating, on poor or old sockets the plug can melt or the socket fail.
If the socket is not on its own spur from the consumer unit but on a ring main use 6 you don't need much else to overload a ring and any poor connections on the back of a socket can overheat.
You can probably guess I recommend you get wall mount evse, this will charge at about 14.5 A and is much safer, quicker and better for preconditioning.

Great cars btw

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use the timer, sets the end of charge time. This will warm the battery ready to leave. Once cold weather is here then allow half hour to precondition twice and top the battery back up on a wallbox. On the granny lead allow an hour, preconditioning will drain the battery more and take a while to charge back up.

6A is safer and the default on the granny lead, if using the 10A setting check the plug the first few times for heating, on poor or old sockets the plug can melt or the socket fail.
If the socket is not on its own spur from the consumer unit but on a ring main use 6 you don't need much else to overload a ring and any poor connections on the back of a socket can overheat.
You can probably guess I recommend you get wall mount evse, this will charge at about 14.5 A and is much safer, quicker and better for preconditioning.

Great cars btw
Thanks Spiny. I'll stick to 6amp when I have time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for a good tip Spiny.
One question to Blackamp. How can I set the alarm on the charging cable?
Must be somewhere in car settings.
I assume it sets disabled when car is open and armed when car is shut?
Just a wild guess.
I do like the idea of having a cable plugged in overnight alarm going off if someone tries to unplug it.
Will wait patiently for your tips.
I got a lot to learn.
Hi Pete, have you tried removing the charging cable when the doors are locked .and the car is charging That was how I found there was a safety feature. Nearly jumped out of my skin !!.
GregC

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Another newbie here. Love the amp so far,(14 plate) although don't think I have managed more than about 35 miles on a charge yet.
A few questions for the experts, apologies if they are stupid. As Winter arrives, is it better to charge when the battery is warm, maybe pre-heat at start of charge, or doesn't it matter?. Is there any advantage in charging at 6 amp (if circuits can manage 10 amps OK) such as more charge or lfor longterm battery life? Is it better to charge up everyday, even if only a few miles have been used and there is plenty left for the next day. Thanks
You should always be charging when you aren't driving the car... That way you always have the benefit of a full battery if you need to pop out for a 35 mile trip (or more in the summer)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks Greg.
I have finally read the manual and some posts on speak eV so I know a few extra bits about charging.
I got a preset for 7.30am (Economy 7 meter ends night rate at 7.30 winter time but 8.30 summer time, really great :)
2 days in a week I need to charge up 3-4kW for evening office visits. Plugging in x 2 overrides delayed charging and I found its much quicker than fiddling with the settings on the screen.
Takes me no more than 2s to plug out and in, just removing 2 inches of the gun will do and push back.
Does anyone here knows about any risks of overriding the delayed charging with double plugging method?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Does anyone here knows about any risks of overriding the delayed charging with double plugging method?
No risks! It is part of the “We’ve thought of everything” design approach.
Also, pull it out, count to 10 and replug puts it into delayed mode again.
Just remember to unlock the car before you do it unless you have turned the cable removal alarm off in your comfort settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
18 Participants
Michael Davies
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing