Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you need a cable to charge ampera on public charger but dont want to spend 150+ then u can build it ur self for much less. Get granny charger that died cut off cabel near the charger and connect cable to standard type 2 charging plug.
No electronic element needed.
Car will directly comunicate to public evse and u will get 16 amps charging current and 3,4kw of power. Car battery will be from empty to full in 2h and 40 min. I can draw a connection diagram for diy guys....
Regards

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Be aware fitting type 2 plugs (and 1 for that matter) needs a professional crimp tool for the pins. These are not cheap like the diy ones!

·
Registered
293 Posts
For me, the real advantage of owning an Ampera is that I just don't need to worry about public charging points. I always charge overnight at home on Economy 7 and very occasional I may plug in at work for a top-up. When the usable battery power is exhausted the engine takes over. Absolutely no need to spend time and money at public charging points.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If its summer arround 28 c in battery then with 3.4kw (16 amp) 3x3,4kw=10,2kwh , so full battery (not new) should get just under 3 h charging time. It works with my ampera and i can still get with full charge arround 72km distance with ultragentle driving. Ofcourse when its colder then totally different story. Heating battery, heating cabin, cold tyres....

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Charging isn't 100% efficient. I find my Ampy takes 12 kWh from the grid, to give me my 10.4 kWh useable. 235V at 14A will take 3.65 hours to achieve this 12 kWh. But the current diminishes a bit as the battery voltage level rises towards its max of 400V or thereabouts, and the BMS does some cell balancing stuff, so in practice a full charge tends to take over 4 hours to finish.

If you drive ultra, ultra gently, it's possible to achieve 96 km on one charge! See the "60 Mile Club" thread ! But for this, you have to not exceed 65 kph, and averagr more like 35 kph, on some flattish road in midsummer where here are no other cars or tractors or lorries to get annoyed by how slowly you're going! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
One thing to note about this car is that it only supports specific PWM settings. So it will not work correctly with variable charge rate EVSEs such as the Myenergi Zappi (although it is fine at its max of 3.6kW). Interestingly it is possible to set the PWM signal so that it will charge at a lower rate than the protocol's normally accepted minimum of 6A.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thnaks for the previous answers, im getting a home socket installed next week, quite a lot of digging required!

Another question.. quite a lot of public chargers have tethered cables. I only have my type 1 to type 2 female cable so can't hook up. Is there some sort of type 2 male to male adaptor available or some other way of hooking up?

Cheers

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,125 Posts
The chargers with cables attached will most probably (well I've yet to see a fast charger with a cable attached other than when one was left accidentally or could not be removed) are rapid chargers that the Ampera can't use. The cable you have, I think, will be a type 2 plug to a type 1 plug. This is for fast charger sockets (type 2) which you plug your cable into once you have plugged the other end (type 1) into the car once you have activated the charger/

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The usual tethered charger is a Rapid, the DC part can not be used by the Amp. The AC tethered on a rapid in theory could be used with an adapter but costs can be huge as many are by time. The adapters are also not approved for charging cars.

The other tethered ones are Tesla Destination chargers normally at hotels, the white ones have a type 2 plug and can not be used by type 1 cars like the Ampera , the red ones are Tesla only.

Slow (3.6kW) and Fast(7.2 to 22kW) chargers found in carparks and on the roadside are socketed and your T2 to T1 cable is fine. just watch out for costs as the Ampera charges at 3.3kW which is about 12 miles per hour, less in winter. Sometimes its cheaper to use petrol than charge when out and about!

In London "Source London" has some tethered Type 1 units (with T2 sockets) intended for their hire cars. These are very expensive to use for charging and should be treated as on street parking with added charging.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts