Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll have to check again later but I'm sure my tyre pressure reading was around 36psi on all tyres when I got into the car last night. I'll check the tyre make also.
That's strange, I was keeping steady 70-73mph the whole way so that's dissappointing to return only 36mpg!! Hopefully the tyres are a bit flat and that helps!! So gernerally speaking, the most efficient way to drive is to use ICE on motorway and then electric for any other A road/single carraige driving? My route to work is about half and half.
My charger has all black cables, I've seen pics of chargers with a rectangle button, but mine has a round button. There's no writing on the charger under any of the indicators to say what they indicate though!!
I'll try out a few lubricants on my charger port and see if it helps. The engine malfunction light has not come on after pressing the internal door-button.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
You will find that the car has quirks, especially when the engine malfunction indicator illuminates when its nothing to do with the engine!
It often goes back off after a couple of start/stops anyway.
I would strongly advise you get a cheap bluetooth OBDII adapter from Ebay or wherever and use an App such as OBD Fusion that I use to check and switch off if necessary any odd errors popping up that illuminate it.
Mine occasionally flags low aircon pressure which stops charging and any EV mode use yet has done so for years now. I reset it and can go a year without it happening again.

The car is really a brilliant design with nothing much to replace it yet, certainly not at the price they are now.
Just enjoy the car and don't worry too much when the stupid amber engine malfunction lights up.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
You'll only see 36mpg if you're on a short trip; it takes about 10-15 minutes of driving to move out of the 30s into the 40s or more. If it's cold, the engine takes a bit longer to warm up too. I find it sits at mid-30s for a while then steadily moves upwards, with the best economy only coming after about 20-25 minutes of running.
It also builds up a battery buffer initially too, the benefit of which you often only see later in running.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea, I spent a good 40mins on the ICE this morning and it was pretty constant ~36mpg. I'll check the tyres after work.

I'm working off the granny charger at home for the next while, and my plan is to have it plugged into one of those weatherproof extension/boxes, is there any other precautions I should take while charging off the granny charger, like surge protectors or an RCD adaptor? I plan on using just 6amp charging over night.

·
Registered
596 Posts
You shoud not need any special precautions, it depends on where you are charging and your infrastructure. Charging at 6A setting should be no problem at all. If you use any kind of extension ensure it's not coiled up while in use.
Mid 30's for constant 70+ mph seems reasonable, I find 65 - 70 gives 40 ish with minimal added time to the journey.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
If you preheat, and you're only charging at 6A, I'd suggest allow 45 mins to do 2 preheats before setting off on these chilly mornings. E.g, start one at 6:45, a second at 7:05, and by 7:30 it should probably have finished topping up the slightly-drained battery.

I reckon that setting the interior temp to full recirculate, 25C, fan on MAX, climate on MAX, you get a warmer preheated-interior than say setting it at Eco, 20C, partial-recirculate & moderate fan. Not 100% sure about this, but I have managed to get mine nice & warm inside! I believe Donald reckons these aircon settings make no difference. Who is right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks, the pre heat will come in handy the next few months, I'm an early riser anyway so should have time to let it charge up again!!

On the granny charger again, I see that when I plug it in, two lights out of a row of four light up, I guess this is 6amp, then press the round button and 4 lights light up, this is 10amps then? Also, just noticed the extension I got is only 10amp, but this should be fine for 6amp charging?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Extension should be OK, on the initial charge check the Granny charger plug end for heating inc the socket several times. Ought to be ok.
Sockets dissipate heat into the cable to keep cool and heavy wire carries heat away better.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Ac makes no difference. Fan speed and air circ does.
The heat comes from the battery heaters.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Hmm, I just drove nearly 500 miles over the last week. Twice I did a 200 mile run at 70mph (indicated 76mph) and averaged 53mpg on the way up, and 49.5mpg on the way back due to a bit of rain and fewer roadworks. Mid-30s at constant 70mph is definitely down on what I'd expect.
I run Shell V-Power fuel and also the most expensive oil I can afford, both of which do make a difference.
I'm also running 36psi all round as shown by the computer, which tends to over-read slightly so they're probably at about 34psi.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,113 Posts
Not for the Ampera but you may want to think of your next car for future proofing. You can always keep the cable or sell it on if it does not fit your next car. Only real drawback is that the 32 will be a bit more unwieldy than the 16, therefore, a bit harder to manhandle/coil up for storing in the car.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,113 Posts
Aye, I use a genuine Vauxhall one for public charging (came as part of a promotional deal when I bought the car) and can usually charge in less than 4 hours from empty). Also when using a public post and the car lets you know when it expects to be finished charging it seems to me that it is rounded up to the next 15 minutes so I can arrive back at the car just before the time it said to find that it has completed charging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, just thought I'd update on my ampera experience after almost 2 weeks ownership!! Just a few general comments/questions on my experience so far!

Love the car, great to drive, comfortable, looks great (ppl in work commenting on it and cars driving slowly/right up my back to take a look, I'm in Northern Ireland but commute to the south for work and there wouldn't be any amperas down there at all really!). Love automatic, don't think I'd go back to manual now!! I find there's loads of room in this car which is good.

The car uses around 10.4kwh every charge, does it then take the same to charge up? 10.4kwh/units? Read somewhere it takes 12kwh/units to charge, what's the discrepancy?

I find the windows fog up pretty bad, maybe it's just im trying not to use the fan for fear of losing battery, but don't remember any other car I've had with such misty windows!

Would prefer a dial for turning heat up and down! Find the touch buttons slow to change for this.

All I get at full charge is around 33-35miles, is this normal, is it showing this because of my driving style (single carriage ~60/65mph) that the computer works out my estimate range will be this on full charge? I was expecting maybe it to show full charge 50miles and then it will either drain quick at fast driving or drain slowly driving slowly.

I can't get the pre heat conditioning to work, any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Does something have to be selected in the config settings, I couldn't see anything when going through it.

When in ice mode, when putting the foot down, I hear a load noise, like a manual car in low gear high revving, now and then, it goes away, but it's on and off and only on ice mode, is this normal?

That's just a few small things I've noticed/wondered about since getting it, overall I'm very happy and it will indeed cut my commuting costs going forward which is great.

81 - 100 of 160 Posts