Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread.
Hello, i'm new on this site. Although not currently on the market for an Ampera but this may be possible when my current car (Mazda 6) lease runs out in January 2022, think by then i only have a narrow choice of 2014 - 2015 cars with the warranty still there just about.
My understanding is there are 2 very common faults with these one being the motor bearing failure that sounds like a chainsaw and second is steering column lock issue.
Are these both main stealer work only?

This Ampera currently on sale is pretty interesting with the white centre console and full black seats which i have not seen before while looking at other Amperas for research purposes. This one also has adaptive cruise control and lane departure, which both are bit of a gimmick atm as it does not work perfectly as i have this technology on my current car, there is still work to be done to make it perfect, currently it is only using lidar system which is not that great, it would be fine if it was paired with an AI camera. Well that is me finish waffling lol.
Here is the car i'm talking about.

Cheers

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
481 Posts
Looks great in the pictures and also looks like a reasonable price.
I loved my Ampera!
AFAIK the bearing is pretty much a dealer job whereas several people on here have successfully DIY'd the steering lock issue, you'll need to look through the many posts on it in the GM/Ampera section. Just depends how confident you are at such things.
Best of luck

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
That is probably one of the Very Very Rare MY2014 cars (may be only half a dozen in the UK) This has the manual charge flap and updated statnav + other tweaks. Vin Number will confirm.
The bearing could be done by a suitable garage (a Hevra Garage may do it for example) but is usually main dealer. The steering lock can be DIY / Any garage, get a new one from the US.
If I didn't have one then this if it is a MY14 would be first choice.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,394 Posts
Having a look at that Ampera, it is very rare to have the white console, only available on the latest cars and the lane departure and adaptive CC confirms this. When I went to order mine in June 2013 I had ordered it to include the ACC and LD options but was told that until Vauxhall had reduced the current stock of Amperas there would be no new factory orders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having a look at that Ampera, it is very rare to have the white console, only available on the latest cars and the lane departure and adaptive CC confirms this. When I went to order mine in June 2013 I had ordered it to include the ACC and LD options but was told that until Vauxhall had reduced the current stock of Amperas there would be no new factory orders.
For a moment there i thought you really going to have a look at that Ampera, when i just glanced at your reply lol.
The adaptive cruise is ok, but i find on my mazda, it likes braking alot to reduce/changing the speed instead of easing off the gas, so the journey can sometimes be bit unsteady, also what we see with our human eye we see the traffic ahead that is going to be in front of us, so for example on a dual carriageway/motorway you're on the left lane there are cars wanting to merge from the slip road on to your lane, naturally if you were driving you would ease off the gas, but with my acc the car still launches forward until the car is directly in front then the acc brakes harshly to keep that safe gap, if it had an AI camera paired with it, it will know what to do in that situation. As for the lane departure, i turned the steering control off, there has been many times i had to fight with it to keep the car going where i want it, once i was going on a bend on an A road and there was a car broken down on the left with tiny bit of right side of the car just going over the lane, and of course my car can't see the broken down car in its vision as it is parked on the side but with tiny bit of the car over the line, so basically my lane departure kept to the centre of that lane while i was swerving out slightly to avoid the car but the steering was fighting back, i didn't like that at all and pretty scary at the time as the steering was pulling me in haha. Again with AI camera that would have been avoided.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,394 Posts
Aye @raimon , if I was in the market for one that is one that I would seriously consider (I like the gadgets) what I would be doing though is checking that the service history was intact and carried out within the correct schedule.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
I believe there's only 200 off these MY14 about?
Very much a collector item.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts