Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I've had a look but there doesn't seem to be a guide for buying a used MS, therefore could the group provide some pointers please?
I'm looking to upgrade my Ampera with something that has more range and more safety features.

It was going to be replaced with an M3 however the promise of sub £35k never happened.
That changed to an eNiro lvl 4. However, that is looking like Q4 2020 minimal, more than likely mid 2021 due to the large back order, and still missing the good features the South Koreans have.
I am on the pre order list for the MG ZS EV but it has emerged the tech specs are missing key EV features. Also, the £3.5k discount feels more of a marketing scam and the price will drop by £3.5k once the first 2000 have been sold. Therefore, unless the test drive blows me away, I'll more than likely cancel that pre order.

However, keeping an eye on the market, the used MS section has now dropped to achievable levels. Therefore, my goal of owning an MS is now back on the table.
With that in mind what should I be looking out for considering my budget is around £35k.
  • I was told years ago to always try and get a car with the Tech Package, but AutoTrader ads don't list this as they don't know what it is. Is there a way to check via photos if it has it or not or should I not bother?
  • Is there a manufacturing year I should stay away from?
  • Does Tesla still sell AP1 auto pilot keys and if so, are they known to offer discounts on used MS?
  • What other features are a must have?
Thank you in advanced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an Ampera (BMW in between) and I went for the Tesla sweet spot of Model S 75, with AP2, free supercharging and no road tax, so ordered after 1/1/2017 and delivered before 31/3/2017. I found one and I think I'm happier with it than I would have been with the 3, its like driving a sofa on wheels, very quickly, and someone else has paid the depreciation.

Same price as a model 3, same range and a nice ride, I like it a lot

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
If you find a car with AP hardware which has not been activate, give them a call and part with 2100 to 2500 depending on the cost of the upgrade at the time and they will activate it over the air. The sets you up for 2015 or later really.

They don’t haggle on used cars but they do drop the price of their CPO offerings buy a few hundred a day sometimes,

Next gen seats were on my must have list, along with 7 seats, i ended up with a metal roof would have preferred a sunroof as it has roof rack mounting points.

Tech pack or premium pack gave the power lift gate before it became standard, premium packs have a chrome trim across the lower valance at the back.

·
Registered
878 Posts
There is.. https://tesla-info.com/buyused.php

To answer your specific questions:
  • I was told years ago to always try and get a car with the Tech Package, but AutoTrader ads don't list this as they don't know what it is. Is there a way to check via photos if it has it or not or should I not bother?
Tech pack got changed into Premium Pack, there were two versions of Tech pack as well, the earlier one was without AP and the later one was with AP hardware (and I think activated AP). All cars after the Tech pack had AP hardware although it was an option to turn on (and called AP1). This changed to EAP in late 2016 with the software turning up about a year later!
  • Is there a manufacturing year I should stay away from?
On an MS, not really, personally I would aim for an early facelift MS from 2016/early 17 with AP1, you might get lucky and find an EAP car but they're few and far between as its such as small date window, the primary reason is externally it looks like the current car, and still has zero VED and unlimited free supercharging and warranty. Go much older and you lose the warranty unless your lucky, and later and the car starts costing more to run. (When I say warranty, I don't mean battery of motors, I mean the warranty on everyuthing else)
  • Does Tesla still sell AP1 auto pilot keys and if so, are they known to offer discounts on used MS?
I would think so, see no reason why not, although most cars would have it turned on anyway. It used to be about £2.2k for the option and Tesla charge a bit more if you activate it later, so it might cost around £2.5-£3k if they do it.
  • What other features are a must have?
There are few options, the website I linked you to (and I wrote) goes through the main ones, but looking back at the age of the car you're interested in I would suggest its all personal taste, maybe the pano roof especially if you want to fit roof rails, the hifi is better with the premium pack etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts