Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so most people will not have heard of this place, but for those that know it...

I used the Polar charging points at GWQ the other day and found that they are just 16A!

What's the point of having charge points that are so slow for public use in a shopping centre? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
981 Posts
It's more common than you think. My local shopping centre also went with the cheapest option and installed 7kW load balanced chargers. So if you plug in when there's another car charging alongside you (which there always is, because its one of the biggest centres in Europe and always stupidly busy) the charge rate will be 3kW max.

I suppose it works if you've not travelled too far from home to get there. It'll have given back the electricity used for your journey there.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,388 Posts
a) The installers [ or perhaps those paying ] did not understand / care about typical usage pattern at a shopping centre.
b) They are hopeful you'll spend in the shops, then use the bowling/cinema, then eat there, hence also paying 3rd world country debt fees at the car park ticket machine.

In which case drinking at around 10-12miles in per hour, you could absorb 60miles in if you did what they hoped you would, vs an hour.

I also found the charge point signage on the walls did not match the app/rfid needed to actually use the darn things, leading to a wasted effort to try to charge. That was before I started double checking afore leaving home on tools like Plugshare/ZAPMAP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Our new build estate has just installed a charger outside the new commercial area. Only capable of 16A (3.6kW) too. Not only that, but it requires tokens to use, which I assume you get from a shop, and they only stack up to 8 hours, so less than 30kWh delivered, not even accounting for charging losses.

My question is who are selling these underpowered EVSEs to the land owners, the landowners can't be expected to know what is the best equipment, the suppliers are just taking advantage of the naivety.

·
Registered
321 Posts
From memory (and not having an EV ) there is a decent charger not far away at the Isle of Wight ferry terminal.

As for charge rates, an hour at 3kw will still cover the mileage of a large proportion of people who visit there. Their business isn't charging your car, it's encouraging you to visit. That said 7kw would be more reasonable. I've driven down there to go to the IOW or in the evening to play football against the Navy, but otherwise better to take the train!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've been to Gunwharf Quays several times but wouldn't dream of parking there ! There's several destination chargers (still only 3kW I'm afraid) at the P&R just off the M27 and the bus service drops you very close to GQ

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of people would surely be able to get to GWQ and home on one charge no problem. They don't need the chargers. So what are the chargers there for? The use case I can think of are people heading West for an overnight stay, a weekend away or longer. One might think 'I'll just pop into the centre on the way, take on some charge, do a bit of shopping, perhaps eat and then continue my journey.' However, how much use is 7 or even 3kW for that?

·
Registered
168 Posts
P&R is closed at the moment due to COVID?! - at least it was when I was there a couple weeks back. Before the days of lockdown there would frequently be the same commuters consuming these bays unfortunately, so became little value.

I also would avoid parking in GWQ and their extortionate parking charges! I instead parked at the Clarence Pier CP with it's 7kW charger available at 09:45 mid-week, and took a nice leisurely walk along the Millennium promenade to GWQ. It's a little diverted again because of COVID? but in the end a much better experience for me. Or as @SueH said there is a Polar Rapid just around the corner at the IoW Ferry Terminal.

Agree that 3kW chargers are now antiquated and not suitable for modern longer range vehicles. I thought I read that GWQ had put some additional 7kW units in at some point - but not 100% on that. They need to take a leaf out of Westgate Oxford's book - 45 7kW points and 5 22kW. Impressive!

·
Registered
Kona64
1,388 Posts
Having often been at traffic lights at the city end of the M275, where the signs say " Cough cough turn it off ", and there's been an empty P & R double decker next to me, spewing fumes out during rush hour --- it doesn't look to have been successful.
The P&R needs 2 or 3 floor levels to increase capacity, and say a £2 ticket cost to really pull people in to use it.

And more environmentally friendly shuttle buses ---- tram/gantry using St Malo style tidal power out of Langstone harbour entrance (don't get me started)

Completely agree with the Oxford Westgate principle as when I last looked, the Portsmouth P&R had just the one post but that is me being a selfish EV driver.

·
Registered
138 Posts
What's the point of having charge points that are so slow for public use in a shopping centre? Am I missing something?
People prefer the 16A to the 32A locally in suffolk -> as they don't charge to park if you charging at one car park I use. So you get double the "time" in shops on the slower chargers.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,697 Posts
It's very simple.

Most people don't travel far to get to a shopping centre.

Those that do will probably stay for many hours. That's what the owners and retailers want.

Therefore, only slow chargers are actually necessary.

Almost nobody needs a full charge every time they plug in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts