Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guy Martins Channel 4 Programme tonight 9/8, included a long road trip In a Hyundai Project 45.

The car he used was one of the two used at the VIP Event at Leatherhead at the end of June 2021.

He found a lot of the Chargers out of action and was scathing re the cost, compared with Diesel.

The programme may be available on Catch Up on All 4 later or perhaps it will appear on You Tube.

The Title of the programme was ’The World’s Fastest Electric Car’ This involved a converted VW Beetle (not the P45).

·
Registered
112 Posts
He set back electric car take-up by years with his comments about chargers being out of action and range anxiety on his Ioniq 5 journey to John'O'Groats. My experience over many years of EV ownership is that proper planning lets you go anywhere in a car with a range under 140 miles (I currently have a 28kWh Ioniq).

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a died-in-the-wool, petrolhead, ex-motorcycle rider, mechanic and speed freak, I wouldn’t take a single opinion of his on EVs seriously. I mean, he owns an aeroplane engine ffs!

·
Registered
44 Posts
He set back electric car take-up by years with his comments about chargers being out of action and range anxiety on his Ioniq 5 journey to John'O'Groats. My experience over many years of EV ownership is that proper planning lets you go anywhere in a car with a range under 140 miles (I currently have a 28kWh Ioniq).
What did surprise me was the price per Kwh using the Ionity super charger, if my memory serve correctly he said it was 70p per Kwh which is rather steep to say the least.
In fairness he did say it was probably only 2 years away due to availability and reliability of chargers in the UK and from experience the reliability of charges and the multiple paying systems are not the best, I have no idea why they think making it difficult to pay at the 'pump' would encourage users just put a credit/debit card reader and be done with it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,764 Posts
What did surprise me was the price per Kwh using the Ionity super charger, if my memory serve correctly he said it was 70p per Kwh which is rather steep to say the least.
In fairness he did say it was probably only 2 years away due to availability and reliability of chargers in the UK and from experience the reliability of charges and the multiple paying systems are not the best, I have no idea why they think making it difficult to pay at the 'pump' would encourage users just put a credit/debit card reader and be done with it.
The Ionity price is almost correct. It's 69p/kWh
It's cheaper if your EV is from one of the owning manufacturers (BMW, Daimler, Porsche, VW, Ford), as they supply an RFID card for it loaded with a certain amount of free charging, followed by a hefty discount (half price or less) after you use up all the free kWh.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes as you say proper planning .
The kind of distance involved requires proper planning . Which became obvious he hadn't.
The saying is true Fail to plan , Plan to fail . And he did.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stageshoot posted an interesting comment in the Kona Section yesterday ’700 Mile Day’ which shows what can be done.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I haven't watched it but in all honesty anyone who has an EV already is not his target audience. It would have been nice if this show also had a segment that showed the benefits for 99.9% of the EV ownership experience.

• Better and more relaxed driving experience
  • Charge at home and or work
  • Much cheaper to run
  • Better for the environment
  • Never need to fill up again
Having said that, the number of EV owners here getting upset that he didn't plan, is the VERY thing we need to remove almost completely if EV acceptance is to improve. I know it will be inevitable to move to EV but right now people have a choice. So if (when) you tell them a long EV journey requires a fair amount of planning with having a plan A and a plan B because there is a very high chance plan A will fail, turns them right off EVs. Show me an EV owner who claims they have never had issues with public charging and I will show you a liar.

• Showing up at a queue for a rapid and waiting 45+ minutes is not "hassle free".
  • Getting to your plan A charger to find it broken and hoping plan B works, is not hassle free. Especially if plan B needs 1 hour (or more) at an AC charger stuck in the back of some dingy backstreet car park, or some industrial estate.
  • Having to stop at a service station to use the rapid charger and trying to convince yourself "this is fine". While you and your family eat tepid overpriced food at a service station with a view of the petrol pumps.
  • Limiting your choice of hotels to ones that have a destination charger, is a pain in the hole in my experience.
  • Having multiple charging cards and apps and route planners is a pain in the hole.
I get this is first world problems and only crops up a few times a year for most. I get that it helps the environment so I am happy taking this on the chin. But many other people won't be happy with this and they have a point. Thankfully this is improving for most of the UK but not N. Ireland which has a terrible infrastructure with almost zero investment. I frequently joke that the best thing about the N. Ireland charging infrastructure is that N. Ireland is so small that even mid-range EVs don't need it.

Right now you CANNOT get into an EV and go a long drive without planing like you can with an ICE. Asking someone to take on the low level stress of journey planning beyond entering a location in a satnav is a hard sell. Telling someone with a diesel car that can do 400 miles and fill up in a few minutes at any garage forecourt that they should get an EV is a hard sell.

I am an EV convert but let's not delude ourselves that Guy Martin was wrong in his assessment from the perspective of a the normal ICE owners, "get in and drive" mentality

·
Registered
44 Posts
Completely agree I'm sure it will get there, eventually when supermarkets, out of town shopping, costa coffee etc... get to the idea they can make extra money while people shop it will be a win for everyone.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Or just get a Tesla M3 LR instead

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Some people like a quality car or a larger SUV family type car. That's not a dig, it's a fact.
They should get a Tesla as over a million and growing exponentially have done then! That's a fact!

·
Registered
161 Posts
They should get a Tesla as over a million and growing exponentially have done then! That's a fact!
There's no accounting for taste I suppose:)

Also are you trying to claim that an M3 LR owner never has to face issues with public charging? Or had to plan a journey? Or are you really trying to convince us that if Guy Martin had taken an M3 LR he would have had none of the issues he faced?

You pointless statement about "Or just get a Tesla M3 LR instead" was ill conceived and illogically alleges that if you buy a Telsa M3 LR you don't face these issues. I do apologise because my repsonse was also illogical and ill conceived.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,494 Posts
It's odd how EV drivers are told to plan trips and are lambasted if they don't and yet if they said an EV isn't very good at unplanned trips they get lambasted too.

At the moment I'd say the Tesla experience is the closest to ICE in terms of just being able to get in the car and let it do the planning. I also notice the Tesla trip planner also puts in how much battery you'd have left if you returned to where you are starting from. It's a simple thing but amazingly few of the trip planners include getting back home again.

Still can't go everywhere in a Tesla as Wales, East Anglia, Cornwall and Lincolnshire are rather short on superchargers. It's probably easier to travel down to Monaco than it is to tour around mid Wales.

The 400 mile range long range S cars are probably the easiest to attempt any of this in but as they're £90k a pop new it's a lot of money to be able to have the same utility.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
There's no accounting for taste I suppose:)

Also are you trying to claim that an M3 LR owner never has to face issues with public charging? Or had to plan a journey? Or are you really trying to convince us that if Guy Martin had taken an M3 LR he would have had none of the issues he faced?

You pointless statement about "Or just get a Tesla M3 LR instead" was ill conceived and illogically alleges that if you buy a Telsa M3 LR you don't face these issues. I do apologise because my repsonse was also illogical and ill conceived.
He certainly wouldn't have faced the problems he did with the Hyundai with multiple broken chargers, expensive Ionity charging etc given the Tesla's much longer range, far better efficiency and the supercharger network. That's logical unlike your response.

·
Registered
161 Posts
He certainly wouldn't have faced the problems he did with the Hyundai with multiple broken chargers, expensive Ionity charging etc given the Tesla's much longer range, far better efficiency and the supercharger network. That's logical unlike your response.
Then why didn't you say that the first time instead of a pointles post with zero context?

Not to mention that you are comparing a large SUV with a saloon car then going off about better efficiency and much longer range. Though this type of apples to oranges comparison is quite typical for some Tesla fans (thankfully a minority) who tend to debate from a position of dishonesty, or to post pointles quotes with zero context.

If we compare a Model Y with a Ioniq 5, the model Y is ~15% more efficient
If we compare a Model Y to a Q4 Sportback Quattro, the Model Y is ~ 12% more efficient.

So like for like comparing SUV to SUV, the Tesla efficiency is better but hardly "far better". And typical real range is very close between the Q4 Sportback Quattro and the Model Y for similar battery sizes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It's odd how EV drivers are told to plan trips and are lambasted if they don't and yet if they said an EV isn't very good at unplanned trips they get lambasted too.

At the moment I'd say the Tesla experience is the closest to ICE in terms of just being able to get in the car and let it do the planning. I also notice the Tesla trip planner also puts in how much battery you'd have left if you returned to where you are starting from. It's a simple thing but amazingly few of the trip planners include getting back home again.

Still can't go everywhere in a Tesla as Wales, East Anglia, Cornwall and Lincolnshire are rather short on superchargers. It's probably easier to travel down to Monaco than it is to tour around mid Wales.

The 400 mile range long range S cars are probably the easiest to attempt any of this in but as they're £90k a pop new it's a lot of money to be able to have the same utility.
Absolutely agree with this. I reminded friend with a Leaf EV that he constantly contradicts himeself. EVs are hassle free one minute and in the next he is complaining about yet another borken public charger.

There is a way to go for the Infrstructure and Tesla (at least in the mainland UK) have a much better experience overall. But in the context of this thread, Guy Martin using a Model 3 LR would not have been as hassle free as having an ICE. He still would have faced range issues and charging wait times/issues.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
690 Posts
As a died-in-the-wool, petrolhead, ex-motorcycle rider, mechanic and speed freak, I wouldn’t take a single opinion of his on EVs seriously. I mean, he owns an aeroplane engine ffs!
TBH he's an engineering nut, and if someone had taken the time to show him how cool the engineering in these cars is, and how cool it is to be able to refuel from the grid rather than with messy carbon based flammable slime, and taken the time to help him work out how to plan his off-the-cuff long journey instead of just throwing him in at the deep end, I think he would have "got it".

1 - 20 of 64 Posts