Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received an email from H&L who are my current insurers on the MS 90d. It said...

"Thank you for insuring your Tesla with us over the last year. I am writing to let you know your
Ultimate Motor policy is due for renewal on 4th August 2017 and to inform you that regrettably
we are unable to provide you with a renewal quotation this year. The reason for this is
because the insurer who underwrites your current cover will no longer be offering the type of
cover you will require."

Has anyone else had this too? FWIW, I've not made any claims for 13 years so my risk profile won't have changed other than I'm a year older?

Am I imagining it or was there a thread listing insurers who knew Tesla's? (Or at least don't ask if it's a petrol or diesel or what size the engine is etc.)

I need to start calling the insurers again so any recommendation on good insurers/brokers would be appreciated or a link to the above thread if it exists.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It can depend on where the car is kept.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My insurer, when I put the Ampera on the policy, indicated they would no longer insure Tesla because of the battery write off risk of a relatively small accident & ongoing liability after repair.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Received an email from H&L who are my current insurers on the MS 90d. It said...

"Thank you for insuring your Tesla with us over the last year. I am writing to let you know your
Ultimate Motor policy is due for renewal on 4th August 2017 and to inform you that regrettably
we are unable to provide you with a renewal quotation this year. The reason for this is
because the insurer who underwrites your current cover will no longer be offering the type of
cover you will require."

Has anyone else had this too? FWIW, I've not made any claims for 13 years so my risk profile won't have changed other than I'm a year older?

Am I imagining it or was there a thread listing insurers who knew Tesla's? (Or at least don't ask if it's a petrol or diesel or what size the engine is etc.)

I need to start calling the insurers again so any recommendation on good insurers/brokers would be appreciated or a link to the above thread if it exists.

Thanks folks.
Allianz who underwrite the H&L product have pulled the plug as did NFU and Aviva. The high cost of repairs and long wait for parts being translated into big claim costs.

As @SimonMac says it would be worth speaking with Direct Line on their dedicated Tesla line which I believe is 0345 246 3218. If they start asking for the cc you know the number isn't right!

NOVO Incident Management also offer cover via Equity Red Star (ERS) and have been very helpful to Tesla owners who have had the need for claims management services. 0333 772 9779 and James Allenby is the man.

Admiral and LV are mentioned a fair bit (I'm with LV) and also Hastings Direct. What's meat to one Insurer is poison to another so don't be surprised if you get a variety of responses.

The long and the short of it though is unless the cost of repairs comes down (more Approved Repairers) and until Tesla sort out their pretty woeful supply chain for parts I suspect insurance is going to continue to be a headache for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,640 Posts

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
Having now had the unexpected pleasure of trying to sort out an insurance claim related to a Tesla I can see why some insurance companies don't want to touch these cars.

Been expensive to repair is one thing, but the way Tesla constantly change production spec with no warning is an absolute nightmare when it comes to working things out like 'market value'.

For what's it's worth Direct Line and Novo have been great in my case. I've had bad experiences of Admiral before and wouldnt recommend anyone to use them.

For most other cars going for the cheapest premium makes little difference but when it comes to Tesla I would 100% recommend sticking with companies with good feedback/customer service rather than purely looking at the cost of the premium. If you are unfortunately to be in a total loss situation (like me) having an insurance company that tries to look after you first before looking at the bottom line is priceless!!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
They insured a friend of mine only around 3 weeks ago.
Did they, that's good to hear. Last report I'd heard it was a no quote. Add them to the list then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just had my renewal through from admiral, it had increased significantly. I have switched to direct line for £450 a year (fully comp, business use, two drivers with 14 years no claims, parked on the drive). It was a pleasure dealing with the tesla team at direct line no silly questions about engine size!

When I spoke to admiral about a competing quote there was no attempt to beat it, so they lost both our cars insurance and probably our house insurance when the comes up as well!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
389 Posts
I just had my renewal through from admiral, it had increased significantly. I have switched to direct line for £450 a year (fully comp, business use, two drivers with 14 years no claims, parked on the drive). It was a pleasure dealing with the tesla team at direct line no silly questions about engine size!

When I spoke to admiral about a competing quote there was no attempt to beat it, so they lost both our cars insurance and probably our house insurance when the comes up as well!
Insurance prices increasing hugely on renewal is nothing new and definitely not just a Tesla problem unfortunately.

I don't know if something has changed in the industry recently, but I also phoned my insurance provider when I got the renewal quote each year, and they used to match cheaper quotes without too much hassle. This year I was told the quote they gave me, which had gone up 20%, was the best price. So much for been a customer with them for 7 years and making no claims or calls for their services in that time.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
This is worrying if other underwriters start to shun Tesla the only consequence is massively inflated premiums and lots of sucking of teeth from those that will cover them plus lots of really hacked off owners.
There is nothing worse than feeling one is being shafted.

High insurance could easily dent 2nd hand values as well,

Tesla UK probably need to be proactive and works to regain confidence with the insurance industry & stop this pronto
Otherwise just a possibility but by the time the 3 gets here it, the risk might be marked up significantly and they may make the car considerably less attractive to the masses.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Did they, that's good to hear. Last report I'd heard it was a no quote. Add them to the list then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Furthermore he was pleasantly surprised enough by the first quote that he has extended cover to any driver over 25.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
This is worrying if other underwriters start to shun Tesla the only consequence is massively inflated premiums and lots of sucking of teeth from those that will cover them plus lots of really hacked off owners.
There is nothing worse than feeling one is being shafted.

High insurance could easily dent 2nd hand values as well,

Tesla UK probably need to be proactive and works to regain confidence with the insurance industry & stop this pronto
Otherwise just a possibility but by the time the 3 gets here it, the risk might be marked up significantly and they may make the car considerably less attractive to the masses.
Tesla were instumental in setting up the Direct Line offering, and good on them for doing that. However, that or any other favourable connection is only going to last as long as the underwriter is making a profit, or at least not a whacking great loss. Tesla's responsibility there is to make sure parts are readily available and there is a sensible approved repairer network. Both are very much "work in progress", and you are right, if things don't improve Insurers are going to rate them accordingly and that could impact the 3 over here. Whether that's much of a concern to Tesla given the relative size of the UK market I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yes @ringi i think you are right so a risk of high insurance premiums does not tally up with their commitment to charging points all over the shop

Thinks
Why aren't these things available to other EV owners to use at a cost
It can't just be single manufacturer elitism, that would be silly, especially if other manufacturers started doing the same.
Maybe they might all share one day
Or is the electricity a different flavour or something?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Why aren't these things available to other EV owners to use at a cost
It can't just be single manufacturer elitism, that would be silly, especially if other manufacturers started doing the same.
Maybe they might all share one day
Or is the electricity a different flavour or something?
That's the plan. That said, some physical aspects would make it difficult to work with existing EV's - for example a leaf, cable is short and only reachable if the charge port is on the left-back-side.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts