Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i have not yet bought a PHEV, still in the research phase, but its looking like the best option for me, anyway, i have noticed during my research about Nissan Leaves, and other pure EV's there is a thriving "hacking" culture around the cars, such as adding additional battery capacity to the Leaf, to get longer range, etc, i have seen the Pure EV mode, and like that a lot, but there is nothing about adding to the PHEV battery, or replacing it with higher capacity cells, or different pack altogether to give better EV range. fortunately, i like to tinker with things and Hack them, to modify things, but sadly there is no hacking scene with the PHEV outside of the pure EV box mods.(that i have found) is there anyone modifying PHEV's in other ways? things like trying to get a i-miev battery pack to replace the PHEV pack, for that little bit extra? or adding another PHEV pack, so to double the existing capacity? or will i be on my own with this sort of hacking?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I've not come across anything yet, but I would love to be able to drop an extra battery pack in the boot for long journeys - as I image most PHEV/EV drivers would.

·
Outlander PHEV App - EvBatMon.
111 Posts
sadly there is no hacking scene with the PHEV outside of the pure EV box mods.(that i have found) is there anyone modifying PHEV's in other ways?
The guy who makes the PHEV box has a spare PHEV battery that he has already disassembled. He has calculated how many 18650 cells he can fit in the enclosure and I'm sure he will come up with an aftermarket add-on to increase the range. However I don't see the point (except in rare circumstances such as a long regular commute to work where no charging at work is possible) as the 50km range is a great compromise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
However I don't see the point (except in rare circumstances such as a long regular commute to work where no charging at work is possible) as the 50km range is a great compromise.
50Km will cover 99% of my commuting and local driving needs, so there is no real need for a range increase, but tinkering with stuff is fun. i am also considering import a wrecked Nissan Leaf or 2 from Japan and building a custom BEV in my spare time. sadly the Leaf in Oz is just to expensive, and wont cover our occasional 500 Km each way trips.

·
Super Moderator
7,231 Posts
The guy who makes the PHEV box has a spare PHEV battery that he has already disassembled. He has calculated how many 18650 cells he can fit in the enclosure and I'm sure he will come up with an aftermarket add-on to increase the range. However I don't see the point (except in rare circumstances such as a long regular commute to work where no charging at work is possible) as the 50km range is a great compromise.
I didn't think the real world range was anywhere near 50km?

·
Outlander PHEV App - EvBatMon.
111 Posts
I didn't think the real world range was anywhere near 50km?
Well I get 47km repeatably in moderate hilly terrain with 2-3 people inc roofbars in a 2yr old PHEV and have heard of quite a few getting >50km in newer PHEV. Put on the A/c or heater and it won't go that far of course.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, fortunately its warm here, and reasonably flat. coldest it ever gets is -1 on the coldest winter mornings, but we do see 40 deg in summer a few times a year, the longest commute i have is 23 Km to Uni on the motorway, and 10km to work, so the ICE might be used on the on the return from uni at some point, so adding bit of extra capacity to the battery would be nice. or even adding some aerodynamic improvements to the under-body might add some range at motorway speeds. something to experiment with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been watching closely too, I live 42km from town, and 150km from the city, so I need about 100km PHEV range. A hack to double the battery size would make the PHEV an ideal car. Living off-grid with a huge 16KW Solar system electricity is surplus and free, but I don't think any of the full EV's will go the km for anxiety free trip to the city and back. If anyone hears of a good battery upgrade option for the outlander let me know

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ever since I have got that car I have never stopped thinking on how to increase the capacity of the Battery as it is only on 10 elements I've understood. I do believe that there should be a way to increase the EV capacity and thus to run for more than 30 miles / 50 km. I have taken that car because initially they told me that it does 156 miles per gallon which is 258 km on 4.6 litre of fuel. Yet, great deceits! It does 46 MPG which is complete disappointment but nothing I can do, not even to indict them for compensation or so. The worst part is that the value of the car has also dropped with 40 if not 50 % from its original value within 6 months from purchase. Hope these guys will be getting something to compensate us at last. I have been thinking to convert to LPG to get some economy on running the car but will lose the warranty I think?! Never buy Mitsubishi fin life again but that bad experience will show a scar probably for a very long, long time, years....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you factor in all the times when you drive on EV only into your fuel use calculations? sure, they only get about 50Mpg with the engine running, but when i factor in my weeks of driving to work/uni, i am still getting way over 100Mpg on average, during holidays or long drives, its only 50 or less. but overall, is still better than advertised for my usage requirements.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I think the modding scene will develop as the cars become more popular.

It shouldn't be difficult to increase the battery capacity in any PHEV, but packaging it and doing it safely will be the biggest challenges.

I'm seriously considering doing something to mine when I have the time and inclination, but it would depend on cost mostly. That said, I like to do many things just because I can and I find it interesting.

I'm fortunate in that I can call on many engineering brains where I work, and if they can't solve something or have the tool I need, then it probably isn't worth doing.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I would love to have a modular battery with a standardised connector (imagine a super sized usb). It could sit on your garage wall working as a powerwall or if a long trip in the EV is needed then take it off the wall and into the boot of the car to use as a range extender.

I can certainly see a growing market for upgraded/refurb/replacement battery packs -- much in the same way as the current market for the ICE.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The guy from Vtechtuning has already increased his battery size to 19.5 kWh as mentioned here..... Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum • View topic - First test of 19,5 kWh battery in PHEV
I also recall seeing pictures of the pack somewhere showing the 18650 Tesla sized cells packed in there...but can't find a link at the moment.
Edit it was probably this video I remember seeing....
Strange that he seemed disappointed that it only estimated 86 km range on the GOM.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I would love to have a modular battery with a standardised connector (imagine a super sized usb). It could sit on your garage wall working as a powerwall or if a long trip in the EV is needed then take it off the wall and into the boot of the car to use as a range extender.

I can certainly see a growing market for upgraded/refurb/replacement battery packs -- much in the same way as the current market for the ICE.
I would prefer a few smaller ones. Remember batteries in general are very heavy. To double the range of an outlander would mean a pack heavy enough that most people wouldn't want to lift it in. Split that to say 10 packs the size of a normal battery each with bus bars to drop on and connect as many or few as you like and you can basically pick your range vs bootspace.
It would also be handy if you had a few smaller trips to do as you could leave a few on charge while using the others then swap over for the next trip.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Vtechtuning 19.5kwh pack .. has been achieved by replacing the original battery with some Chinese made LiIon or LiPo battery ... so same size, possibly same weight, but more capacity

Only issue is:
- Warranty
- Waste of money on taking out original battery
- Unknown life of the new battery .. Mistubishi choose "safe" battery for be sure to have 8y life and 80% charging capacity left

In my view .. it will be nice to know how to connect to the 80 cells in parallel .. and have some additional battery pack ,in the trunk connected to the main pack ... I see with hobby grade RC battery a 1kwh pack 80 cells ... will cost around 400 USD ... something nice for experience a bit extra range

Vtechtuning is also capable to hack the firmware of the car, for allow more power, lower discharge rate before start ICE and as well, he can have proper EV mode in this PHEV ... but at the moment he does shows this in his channel, post here and there in some forums .. but does not share the knowlede (understandable), but neither sell any associate product (that is bad .. I would love to buy his "ECU" tuner for Outlander PHEV)

About hacking .. apparently the plastic cover in the middle of the floor on the back seats .. it should allow to access the main battery ... maybe somebody is brave enough to figure it out a safe way to get the two contact point for add and external batter in parallel

·
Registered
35 Posts
The guy who makes the PHEV box has a spare PHEV battery that he has already disassembled. He has calculated how many 18650 cells he can fit in the enclosure and I'm sure he will come up with an aftermarket add-on to increase the range.
Does the standard PHEV battery box use 18650 cells? I doubt it. They are only a torch battery after all?
According to my reckoning, 100 18650 cells in series would give [email protected] 1A max. 370VA so he would need to use 8000 cells (80 strings of 100) for 29.6 KVA ????

·
Registered
35 Posts
:confused: Is attempting to add battery capacity worth the hassle? Maybe as a Newbie I can't see the point of owning a PHEV with only 30 miles on battery anyway. IMO not worth the extra £££, not worth the inconvenience or am I missing something? or just having a bad day?o_O

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:confused: Is attempting to add battery capacity worth the hassle? Maybe as a Newbie I can't see the point of owning a PHEV with only 30 miles on battery anyway. IMO not worth the extra £££, not worth the inconvenience or am I missing something? or just having a bad day?o_O
90% of drivers only go 30 miles or less every day, so for those trip to the shop, school, work etc every day, you are not using any fuel. even in Australia where i am, i am still getting the book figures on fuel use, as when im not going on long trips (even then its pretty good on fuel for a 5 door SUV) im driving everywhere on EV mode 99% of the time. the trick is, dont look at it as having a 30 mile range, look at your driving habits, and if you go under 30miles per day, then its a good thing.

also, the batteries in the PHEV are Yuasa LEV50 GS Yuasa's improved cells: LEV50 vs LEV50N - Push EVs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts