Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car arrived at the dealer yesterday and was presented to me, and then taken away again as the grant forms haven't been completed, delivery is likely to take a few more days.

However, when the car was driven onto the dealer forecourt for my viewing the weird spaceship-like VESS sound was a bit of turn off, I guess it's supposed to gain attention, which it did, but personally I thought it was a bit cringe and can't see myself using it much other than in appropriate situations - busy school run.

I was wondering if anyone has the knowledge to hack it, maybe override it with an applecar play/android auto app, I'm sure it's possible if someone has time and inclination. To have maybe 5 or more sounds to select from could make it interesting.

Thinking more on this I think my default sound would be Max's car alarm from Phoenix nights, the others I'd have to think long and hard about.

Do you think it's a possible Fiverr task?

·
Registered
904 Posts
On the Leaf it was possible to disable it via the OBD-II port, but it took a while for people to figure out how.

In the mean time you will quickly get used to pressing the VESS off button every time you start the car.

·
Registered
631 Posts
About half way down the page of this thread there are a couple of video examples of how to get into the engineering mode of the infotainment system. The first example definitely works on the e-Niro but, if you can get it working, the second example might give you easier access to various default settings of which I imagine VESS is one. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
It will be a legal requirement that all electric vehicles (PHEV's HEV's and BEV's) will have to emit an audible warning of some kind or other by July 2019 - so I don't see why people want to disable it.

Electric cars will have to emit a noise from 2019 | RAC Drive
I spend most of my time driving in Edinburgh.
Especially during festival time, I don't want to disable it, maybe replace it with the 120db siren that is needed on EVs doing the pikes peak speed run

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've not had it for 5 years on the Ampera and never found a problem. People generally hear the tyres, just as they would on a legacy vehicle.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,350 Posts
.... I don't see why people want to disable it.....
It's an absolute frikkin' racket, and also a completely pointless racket, that's why. It is a bogey-man conjured up out of thin air by the thousands of blind people who have been routinely knocked over by ... err .... quite cars ...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
VESS would need to exist if thousands of people had been killed, injured and maimed by 20 years' worth of Priuses, Lexuses and other hybrids. Believe me, if that were the case, Toyota would have been sued ages ago in the US.

Pedestrian awareness noises are the "red flags in front of the motorised carriages" of the 21st century.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had a thought on this yesterday.
I was driving down a single track road up in the Highlands.
Traveling at 35/40
There was a hiker away in the distance.
From about 200 meters away, they stepped in of the road. So the car can't be that quiet

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I love the VESS, perhaps because I'm an Aphex Twin fan. I like the way it insn't just a sampled sound, its two or three changing frequencies being mixed together based on your speed and how much throttle you're putting on. I think they put a lot of thought into it actually - it sounds kindof 'enginey' without actually sounding like an engine.

Tesla say they will be rolling out customisable VESS and horn sounds in the near future although I guess that might be illegal in some jurisdictions. Elon mentioned Monty-Python style clip-clops would be an option.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here's a bloke from the other side of the pond hacking the VESS on a Kona

John.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Tesla say they will be rolling out customisable VESS and horn sounds in the near future although I guess that might be illegal in some jurisdictions. Elon mentioned Monty-Python style clip-clops would be an option.
Oh no. This is going to be the new ringtones.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts