Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
As soon as I start the car I hit the VESS button and the adjacent Lane Assist or whatever its called. Other than the it is a fab car
It appears from another thread that the lane assist has to be on by default or it knocks the NCAP rating.
So that's a blame the bureaucrats for that default.
Same with the VESS or AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alert System) in lawyer speak.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/noise-generators-for-evs-mandatory-from-july-1-2019-in-europe-135022.html
I hadn't realised the reverse sound was also mandatory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been digging around about this (because I'm the kind of nerd who would willingly hack his car to make it sound like the Jetson's car
).

It looks like Eric Reuter (in the video earlier in this thread) has managed to make a replacement module for the VESS which has the sounds of an American diesel locomotive (EMD GP9)
The only information I can find about how he did it is a reply on the thread on that video:
I built a CAN to DCC interface and am using a Phoenix P8 DCC sound module.
That makes more sense when you know that:
  • CAN = "Controller Area Network" - a standard for electronic modules in a car to talk to each other.
  • DCC = "Digital Command Control" - a standard for controlling model trains
  • The DCC sound module is a lump of electronics for model railways that makes different sounds for various model locomotives
I can't help thinking there's an easier (and cheaper - I wouldn't want to cough up $195 for that sound module) way to do this with, say, a Raspberry Pi plugged into the CAN and playing sounds directly.

When time permits I might have a play. Don't hold your breath though - it'll probably take me months if I even get around to it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've been digging around about this (because I'm the kind of nerd who would willingly hack his car to make it sound like the Jetson's car
).

It looks like Eric Reuter (in the video earlier in this thread) has managed to make a replacement module for the VESS which has the sounds of an American diesel locomotive (EMD GP9)
The only information I can find about how he did it is a reply on the thread on that video:

That makes more sense when you know that:
  • CAN = "Controller Area Network" - a standard for electronic modules in a car to talk to each other.
  • DCC = "Digital Command Control" - a standard for controlling model trains
  • The DCC sound module is a lump of electronics for model railways that makes different sounds for various model locomotives
I can't help thinking there's an easier (and cheaper - I wouldn't want to cough up $195 for that sound module) way to do this with, say, a Raspberry Pi plugged into the CAN and playing sounds directly.

When time permits I might have a play. Don't hold your breath though - it'll probably take me months if I even get around to it!
@RacingHippo ,

Your man is in the Hyundai Kona EV group on Facebook, where he has posted more vids of his Kona sounding like an American freight train - just insane!

John.

P.S it's a closed group, so you'll have to join.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Eventually it will be an MOT fail and if you get into an accident and it's modified or disabled you could be in trouble.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does anyone know how to contact the guy doing the CANbus demo on the VESS system?
He's in this Facebook group - but it's a closed group so you'll have to join first, and he's called Eric Reuter.

John

21 - 35 of 35 Posts