Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
i3 120Ah->Kona 64kWh->e208->ID.3 Family->Model 3 60kWh LFP
4,293 Posts
Interesting read, I'm getting to the point where I need to start thinking about what to replace my lease BMW i3 with in November (lead times etc!) and the Honda E just came back on my radar for some reason. Always loved the design but the range put me off, wanted to go for the Ioniq 5 but availability and no-doubt stratospheric price is ruling that out!

Sadly this thread has convinced me it's probably a non-starter, it's the closest car to the now-ancient i3 really in terms of concept but at 150kg heavier, slower with less power and smaller battery - by the looks of it less efficient to boot! It just seems a real shame they chose the small battery route, doesn't seem to offer the great weight saving the idea was based on, was hoping they'd have been working on a slightly larger version but can't find anything imminent. I could just about live with the even smaller boot but there seem far too many compromises overall, an i3S is currently far cheaper to lease and probably still one of the better small options. Bummer.

*Edit - one other factor with these small battery cars I'm not sure is considered enough - lifespan, Li-ion batteries degrade with number of cycles and when you have to top up twice as often on something like the Honda E vs similar sized Zoe you're likely to experience even more depleted range after a few years, killing used prices too!
Get an i3s - provided you are happy to keep making do with 50kW, which the flat charging curve partly makes up for anyway. I wouldn't let the age of the i3 put you off - it's still an amazing car. Over on the Onto forums, there's almost universal praise for it amongst people who have had one, and most still prefer it over much newer cars (sadly Onto have just stopped offering it - but many are hoping they will offer the i3s someday).

·
4,293 Posts
The e208 is nice, much more conventional, very nice interior, quite a few good little touches - more potential annoyances than the i3 I think (excluding the rear door thing).

e208 also noticeably slower than the i3 (let alone the i3s), but the other hand it’s more relaxing on motorways and more confidence inspiring in the bends.

i3 overall more of a occasion to drive though, and more fun.

An i3s would I think (I haven’t driven on) feel different enough to the i3 and also is supposedly more stable on motorways. Harsher ride though, I’m sure.

e208 et al charging curve is very diffferent to the i3 and how well it suits depends on how many 100kW+ chargers there are near you / along frequent routes.

It also has pretty poor efficiency, particularly in winter (so others have reported).

The ideal would be if BMW just got on with one last update of the i3 with some higher density cells, faster charging, better ACC, and maybe proper lane assist.

·
4,293 Posts
e-Niro makes me realise what a well sorted car the i3 is (though the e-Niro very good and better in many respects)! One-pedal driving just works intuitively and I love not having hundreds of electronic beeps, bongs and nannying - the newer i3's seem to have the enforced external space-ship sounds which are twice as loud as any petrol car though!
I went from the i3 to a Kona and immediately missed the i3’s simplicity and refinement in how it handles regen and stopping and going in general. The Kona (& eNiro) have over a dozen combinations of drive mode/regen setting, but none are as good as the simplicity of the i3.

·
4,293 Posts
I'm trying the ID.3 next in about a month's time so will be able to offer my thoughts then.

What you say about the i3 is exactly how I felt - I think as a first EV it really spoilt me and set up a load of expectations about EVs that so far the other 2 I've had since haven't been able to fully meet.

My hope is that the ID.3 will prove to be a fairly well rounded mix of most of the best bits of all 3 - but that could just mean it ends up feeling mostly like a master of none.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.