Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the Corsa really cheesing me off I decide to break the habit of a lifetime and actually test drive a car I was thinking of buying rather than just sitting in it and relying on James & Kate etc reviews.

I expected to be smitten. I wasn't.

The looks are awesome. The stereo is awesome. The concept is awesome. But...

The screens feel too close and the steering wheel doesn't pull out far at all. Seats are very firm. They are well designed and supportive. I was sat too high in the car as well.

The screen mirrors do work really well but if you're a certain age the driver's side one can be just in the area of vision that is in the needs reading glasses distance. I did get used to it but it did make by eyes weird at times.

Ride is also quite firm but it corners flat as anything. Power steering is clever and weights up at higher speeds but it does mean the car sometimes feels weird when you change direction.

Road noise seems quite intrusive in a way I wasn't expecting. It's definitely louder inside than the Corsa.

Turning circle is fantastic. Stereo is so good I almost ignored all the other negatives.

Steering wheel is also kind of sweaty compared to the cheaper feeling Corsa one.

Boot is very shallow which I didn't grasp. I thought it was shallower horizontally but taller (like the Soul EV). It's very shallow in height but a bit longer in depth. I did have the measurements but somehow they didn't translate to my brain.

Range. Hmmm. Did 30 odd miles and it had about 60% battery or so which isn't any good as my usual trip is 55 and all year so it wasn't going to be quite up to it. It was quite efficient at times and once you'd been going for a bit and were bimbling along at 30-40 it did go up quite a bit. Over all was 3.3 miles per kWh on the mixed run. Think the Corsa would have actually done better. With a tiny battery you have to be much more efficient. It needed to have been Kia efficient as I'd reckon one of those would have been about 4 -4.5 miles per kWh doing the same.

One pedal mode is quite good but even on max death the regen feels weaker than I expected. It was weaker feeling than the Corsa which is quite weak. The Leaf had very strong regen in B mode and also with E Pedal. That was neck snapping in comparison.

Other issue was with reversing onto a sloping driveway. It didn't like it. Mine slopes down and it seems to upset quite a few cars. The corsa I just stick in reverse and it creeps in reverse with the brake on happily. I turned off the one pedal in the Honda and it didn't seem to want to creep so you hit the gas, it lurches off you hit the brake and it's at a dead halt so you are making a right hash of a simple thing.

I'm glad a drove one as it's been one of those cars I haven't stopped obsessing over since they came out.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the Honda Boot and going back to mine has made me realise the Corsa boot is the smallest I could live with. Fiat and Mini boots are both smaller. Mini also seems to not have a heated steering wheel on any trim level or I couldn't find where it was listed.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did like the feel of rear wheel drive though. It's much nicer in some ways.

I haven't seen a single one in the wild either. The honda dealer is only a few miles away so I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them pottering about.

The sales person I spoke to was also using one and doing 60 mile return trip with 50 left regularly he said. Mostly dual carriageway as well so I did think it might have been ok.

It was a lot better mannered at 70 than I expected. If they do a mk2 with a bit bigger battery capacity and better sound insulation I might be interested. It's still the sort of car you look back at when you lock it.

I think Tesla Bjorn did a 75 mph test in warm weather and it was 75 miles range I think. Car wow got 110 I think to flat as a fart. Corsa did about 170 so there's quite the jump.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Camera viewfinders have dioptre adjustment. You'd need that on the wing mirror screen but I have no idea how on earth you could do it. I think some of the electronic viewfinders also have dioptre some how.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It makes me appreciate I shouldn't tolerate the pathetic excuses from Vauxhall for sub standard software as all the functions on the Honda work properly. Bluetooth reconnects correctly. It starts instantly. It was released in a pandemic as well. Blind spot function also seems to work like it should.

Honda has buttons and knobs for quite a few things so it's definitely functionally ok. Heated wheel button is on the heated steering wheel like the Corsa not in some random corner like a lot of other cars.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As a short range second car it'd be ideal really. Especially if it's mostly city driving as the one pedal feature is quite good. You don't even use the brake. It just holds itself when you stop and then off you go again as soon as the traffic moves. It's definitely a better feeling one pedal system than the Leaf one. That's quite soft to go and harsh to stop. The Honda is more uniform but regen isn't as strong.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The lease deals on the Mokka seem surprisingly cheap.

It does seem to have the battery percentage display which the other PSA cars are missing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.