Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interesting read, I'm getting to the point where I need to start thinking about what to replace my lease BMW i3 with in November (lead times etc!) and the Honda E just came back on my radar for some reason. Always loved the design but the range put me off, wanted to go for the Ioniq 5 but availability and no-doubt stratospheric price is ruling that out!

Sadly this thread has convinced me it's probably a non-starter, it's the closest car to the now-ancient i3 really in terms of concept but at 150kg heavier, slower with less power and smaller battery - by the looks of it less efficient to boot! It just seems a real shame they chose the small battery route, doesn't seem to offer the great weight saving the idea was based on, was hoping they'd have been working on a slightly larger version but can't find anything imminent. I could just about live with the even smaller boot but there seem far too many compromises overall, an i3S is currently far cheaper to lease and probably still one of the better small options. Bummer.

*Edit - one other factor with these small battery cars I'm not sure is considered enough - lifespan, Li-ion batteries degrade with number of cycles and when you have to top up twice as often on something like the Honda E vs similar sized Zoe you're likely to experience even more depleted range after a few years, killing used prices too!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, driving the wife's new e-Niro makes me realise what a well sorted car the i3 is (though the e-Niro very good and better in many respects)! One-pedal driving just works intuitively and I love not having hundreds of electronic beeps, bongs and nannying - the newer i3's seem to have the enforced external space-ship sounds which are twice as loud as any petrol car though! I don't think sales of the Honda E are great and I do hope it doesn't make Honda think they went the wrong direction with it, most people love the idea and execution, just can't live with such limited range.

This year looks to be the start of EV's really becoming mainstream so hopefully the options and competition keep pushing things forwards, the PSA group stuff all looks ok, the e208 is another nice option in the same ballpark I think, even the Mokka! Will have to give it all some thought!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cheers for the info guys. (I know it's drifted slightly off topic!).

That was the interest in the Honda E really (and Ioniq 5/EV6) - something a little more bespoke and forward-looking than the ICE conversion EV standard offerings, actually getting the benefit of the more open cabin etc.

I think that's where the i3 has spoiled me a little really, it just works very easily and I presumed all EV's would be similar! I loved the more design led interior of the i3 and Honda E but thought the e-Niro would be a big step up with the range etc, while it's great in that respect and has plenty of power it also lacks in those areas mentioned by Bill with the Kona, even the couple of times I've charged it so far seem to be causing hassles and need prompting where the i3 just works. I generally charge at home so rarely have to worry about the public networks fortunately!

The i3s originally didn't appeal for even less range but certainly looks better, the harsh ride also a concern as the i3 isn't exactly soft! I'm sure I'd live with it, more an issue for passengers generally. :) That's something about the Honda and lots of good reports on the great ride which helped draw me back to it (though srichards wasn't as convinced here!), also the stereo, those little things which can make a big quality of life improvement.

I think i'll have to try some things out - as much as it irks me I can see an iD3 being one of the better options by the time I have to order - really hate the cost-cutting and touch-everything in it but certainly seems a solid all-rounder if the initial bugs worked out. Great there are so many options I guess!

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have never kept cars for longer than a year or so, our i3 94REX we have had for almost five years now, we love it and even though we have looked around quite intensely at replacement EVs.....every time we get in it the desire to change just fades away, they are that good.
Similar position here - always have 2 year leases and a diesel Volvo S90 preceded the i3! Wanted similar quality feel in a much smaller package and the ICE offerings like A3's and such seem low rent in comparison (the amount of times I have to explain I'm not an Eco-warrior, just wanted a quality, quick small car!), fully converted to EV ways now - better to get on board before it's enforced. :) Be interesting to hear Bill's thoughts on the ID.3 coming from someone who's owned the other options.

Good to hear everyone's experiences here, my only real drawback from the i3 is the silly doors when trying to carry 3 or 4 people - in a car park when it's raining is not fun! and the limited range, it's just about 25% short to handle the odd longer trips I take and motorways really eat away unless in the crawler lane behind lorries. I think real-world 200 miles is probably enough for most people, 120-150 not always and the 80-120 of the Honda probably just too restrictive unless you never leave town! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.