Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, driving the wife's new e-Niro makes me realise what a well sorted car the i3 is (though the e-Niro very good and better in many respects)! One-pedal driving just works intuitively and I love not having hundreds of electronic beeps, bongs and nannying - the newer i3's seem to have the enforced external space-ship sounds which are twice as loud as any petrol car though! I don't think sales of the Honda E are great and I do hope it doesn't make Honda think they went the wrong direction with it, most people love the idea and execution, just can't live with such limited range.

This year looks to be the start of EV's really becoming mainstream so hopefully the options and competition keep pushing things forwards, the PSA group stuff all looks ok, the e208 is another nice option in the same ballpark I think, even the Mokka! Will have to give it all some thought!

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The lease deals on the Mokka seem surprisingly cheap.

It does seem to have the battery percentage display which the other PSA cars are missing.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
i3 120Ah->Kona 64kWh->e208->ID.3 Family->Model 3 60kWh LFP
4,291 Posts
The e208 is nice, much more conventional, very nice interior, quite a few good little touches - more potential annoyances than the i3 I think (excluding the rear door thing).

e208 also noticeably slower than the i3 (let alone the i3s), but the other hand it’s more relaxing on motorways and more confidence inspiring in the bends.

i3 overall more of a occasion to drive though, and more fun.

An i3s would I think (I haven’t driven on) feel different enough to the i3 and also is supposedly more stable on motorways. Harsher ride though, I’m sure.

e208 et al charging curve is very diffferent to the i3 and how well it suits depends on how many 100kW+ chargers there are near you / along frequent routes.

It also has pretty poor efficiency, particularly in winter (so others have reported).

The ideal would be if BMW just got on with one last update of the i3 with some higher density cells, faster charging, better ACC, and maybe proper lane assist.

·
4,291 Posts
e-Niro makes me realise what a well sorted car the i3 is (though the e-Niro very good and better in many respects)! One-pedal driving just works intuitively and I love not having hundreds of electronic beeps, bongs and nannying - the newer i3's seem to have the enforced external space-ship sounds which are twice as loud as any petrol car though!
I went from the i3 to a Kona and immediately missed the i3’s simplicity and refinement in how it handles regen and stopping and going in general. The Kona (& eNiro) have over a dozen combinations of drive mode/regen setting, but none are as good as the simplicity of the i3.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cheers for the info guys. (I know it's drifted slightly off topic!).

That was the interest in the Honda E really (and Ioniq 5/EV6) - something a little more bespoke and forward-looking than the ICE conversion EV standard offerings, actually getting the benefit of the more open cabin etc.

I think that's where the i3 has spoiled me a little really, it just works very easily and I presumed all EV's would be similar! I loved the more design led interior of the i3 and Honda E but thought the e-Niro would be a big step up with the range etc, while it's great in that respect and has plenty of power it also lacks in those areas mentioned by Bill with the Kona, even the couple of times I've charged it so far seem to be causing hassles and need prompting where the i3 just works. I generally charge at home so rarely have to worry about the public networks fortunately!

The i3s originally didn't appeal for even less range but certainly looks better, the harsh ride also a concern as the i3 isn't exactly soft! I'm sure I'd live with it, more an issue for passengers generally. :) That's something about the Honda and lots of good reports on the great ride which helped draw me back to it (though srichards wasn't as convinced here!), also the stereo, those little things which can make a big quality of life improvement.

I think i'll have to try some things out - as much as it irks me I can see an iD3 being one of the better options by the time I have to order - really hate the cost-cutting and touch-everything in it but certainly seems a solid all-rounder if the initial bugs worked out. Great there are so many options I guess!

·
4,291 Posts
I'm trying the ID.3 next in about a month's time so will be able to offer my thoughts then.

What you say about the i3 is exactly how I felt - I think as a first EV it really spoilt me and set up a load of expectations about EVs that so far the other 2 I've had since haven't been able to fully meet.

My hope is that the ID.3 will prove to be a fairly well rounded mix of most of the best bits of all 3 - but that could just mean it ends up feeling mostly like a master of none.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We have never kept cars for longer than a year or so, our i3 94REX we have had for almost five years now, we love it and even though we have looked around quite intensely at replacement EVs.....every time we get in it the desire to change just fades away, they are that good.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have never kept cars for longer than a year or so, our i3 94REX we have had for almost five years now, we love it and even though we have looked around quite intensely at replacement EVs.....every time we get in it the desire to change just fades away, they are that good.
Similar position here - always have 2 year leases and a diesel Volvo S90 preceded the i3! Wanted similar quality feel in a much smaller package and the ICE offerings like A3's and such seem low rent in comparison (the amount of times I have to explain I'm not an Eco-warrior, just wanted a quality, quick small car!), fully converted to EV ways now - better to get on board before it's enforced. :) Be interesting to hear Bill's thoughts on the ID.3 coming from someone who's owned the other options.

Good to hear everyone's experiences here, my only real drawback from the i3 is the silly doors when trying to carry 3 or 4 people - in a car park when it's raining is not fun! and the limited range, it's just about 25% short to handle the odd longer trips I take and motorways really eat away unless in the crawler lane behind lorries. I think real-world 200 miles is probably enough for most people, 120-150 not always and the 80-120 of the Honda probably just too restrictive unless you never leave town! :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Similar position here - always have 2 year leases and a diesel Volvo S90 preceded the i3! Wanted similar quality feel in a much smaller package and the ICE offerings like A3's and such seem low rent in comparison (the amount of times I have to explain I'm not an Eco-warrior, just wanted a quality, quick small car!), fully converted to EV ways now - better to get on board before it's enforced. :) Be interesting to hear Bill's thoughts on the ID.3 coming from someone who's owned the other options.

Good to hear everyone's experiences here, my only real drawback from the i3 is the silly doors when trying to carry 3 or 4 people - in a car park when it's raining is not fun! and the limited range, it's just about 25% short to handle the odd longer trips I take and motorways really eat away unless in the crawler lane behind lorries. I think real-world 200 miles is probably enough for most people, 120-150 not always and the 80-120 of the Honda probably just too restrictive unless you never leave town! :)
We came from a Mercedes ML55......bit of a change, but then we also had the Q3 as well, which was replaced by a Range Rover but after a year we realised we never need two cars and lockdown sealed the deal after a year on SORN we sold the RR, but the i3 will NOT be leaving for any of the other replacements we’ve seen around any time soon.

And of course with the REX if we ever do need a long run it’ll cover 200 miles.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.