Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Really liked the acceleration, the driving "feel", the feeling of light and spaciousness up front, compact size.
Couldn't get on with the seats, dug into bottom of thighs (passenger and driver) after 15-20 min.
Back seat room tighter than i thought it would be and might have needed to buy a new child seat as existing wouldn't fit easily.
Ultimately, the seats plus the salesmans insistence that it could "really" do 200 miles range (well, maybe at 40mph?) whilst i knew in reality I'd be driving a 150 mile range car in 2-3 years time (GOM was showing me 75 miles at 50%) when there would be plenty of 250-300 mile cars by then, made it a no go.
Could imagine having it as a rental for a short while maybe a thin cushion on the seats

The best there is at what I do
Must say I've never had a problem with the seats, my thighs just rest on top, my only complaint about the seats is that I slide about while cornering especially roundabouts.

Registered
Really liked the acceleration, the driving "feel", the feeling of light and spaciousness up front, compact size.
Couldn't get on with the seats, dug into bottom of thighs (passenger and driver) after 15-20 min.
Back seat room tighter than i thought it would be and might have needed to buy a new child seat as existing wouldn't fit easily.
Ultimately, the seats plus the salesmans insistence that it could "really" do 200 miles range (well, maybe at 40mph?) whilst i knew in reality I'd be driving a 150 mile range car in 2-3 years time (GOM was showing me 75 miles at 50%) when there would be plenty of 250-300 mile cars by then, made it a no go.
Could imagine having it as a rental for a short while maybe a thin cushion on the seats
No idea why OP is comparing a test drive if a car on sale NOW with one that might be available in the FUTURE.

A proper comparison would be between a BMWi3 180Ah with whatever future model with virtual seats and ability to fit baby seat that your child will have grown out of. In other words a silly pointless test-drive.

Registered
Ignore what is showing on the GOM at any given time as it isn鈥檛 a true indication of range. I have been getting 190 miles range out of my i3 120 Ah. Given the battery warranty, it is highly unlikely that there will be any dramatic reduction in overall range in the first 8 years since new. That is not to say that 180 miles range is guaranteed throughout the year as temperature and weather are major factors. The seats are far more comfortable than you might think ( I say that after 5 years of ownership). Would I buy an i3 if I had a small Child: probably not as the gull wing doors can be a pain in tight parking spaces but not in family slots at supermarkets.

Registered
Uncomfortable seats are a deal breaker for me too. The Soul ones are good. Not much support but properly squishy.

Ioniq 38 kWh?? No idea what wait time they have.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
No idea why OP is comparing a test drive if a car on sale NOW with one that might be available in the FUTURE.

A proper comparison would be between a BMWi3 180Ah with whatever future model with virtual seats and ability to fit baby seat that your child will have grown out of. In other words a silly pointless test-drive.
I'm not comparing it, I'm stating that a BMW180Ah that is just a battery upgrade on the current model, same as this model is (AFAIK) justa battery upgrade on previous, would be more acceptabel to me and i might be able to fix the seats with appropriate cushions.
The child wont have grown out of the car seat by next year (because its a child seat not baby seat) but compared to spend on a car, a new car seat wont break the bank if it doesnt fit. TBH i didnt try too hard since seats and range ruled it out for purchase. As a rental, maybe.

Registered
Must say I've never had a problem with the seats, my thighs just rest on top, my only complaint about the seats is that I slide about while cornering especially roundabouts.
It's a safety feature to make sure you hang on to the steering wheel. :)

Registered
We also rented one as a trial. My wife found the seats uncomforable. I fiddled around with the settings but never felt she would be happy driving the car for half an hour or so.

So, like you, no purchase planned. I am told that BMW were hampered by the quest to make the seats as light as possible to save weight.

Registered
I thought that the seats were uncomfortable on the test drive as they are quite a lot harder than the armchairs in my previous BMW. I made the assumption that BMW know what they are doing, which was correct. The seats are great, I did over 250 miles yesterday and never even thought about the seats until reading this.

Registered
What interior spec was the car?
I lent my i3 94ah rex to a friend & wife, 1 year Old son, plus springer spaniel for a 500 mile round trip they loved it & now want a i3

Registered
You initial perception of the seats will depend on what you are used to. I rejected the i3 as having terrible seats when it first came out in 2014. At the time I was driving a soft suspension car (Citroen) with sofa like seats.

When I had a ride in a friend's i3 a few years later having had a LEAF in between, I then had no issue with the seats and instantly preferred them to the LEAF. Sitting static in a showroom does not show you how the seat feels when the car is in motion.

Despite being very different the i3 and the old Citroen would both give me backache after about three hours of driving. The LEAF would give backache after two hours. Since I avoid driving for three hours without a break it is a non-issue.

Take a longer test drive to make sure you are not voiding a car that might actually be suitable.

Registered
I only used the car for about 140 miles on a 24 hour test drive but it was a series of short journeys. I found the seats fine in that use, whether they鈥檇 be the same with several hours of motorway driving is another matter.
That said you鈥檇 probably need a coffee stop and a charge break before then anyway...

Registered
Everybody is different. Have recently done the NC500 from Somerset plus Lakes,Skye and West Highlands. Just a tad short of 2000 miles. No issues what so ever with the i3 seats and I've got a torn L5 disc in my back that's caused me problems with car seats in the past.

Registered
We found (both of us, F5鈥7鈥 & M6鈥2鈥 strongly built :D ) the seats to be some of the most comfy we have had, been on 10 hour drives and no issues what so ever, we had recently sold a Range Rover (2010) and have a Freelander 2 which we feel the seats are not as good, at first look on our test drive back in 2014 they looked like they were going to be cheap and hard but in fact they are not, really happy with leather clad BMW lightweight seats.

As for the range we can squeeze 200+ miles from our 2017 REX in total without much trouble, and an easy 120 miles just on battery.

Ours is just over three years old now and the GOM shows exactly the same as it did when new.......

Registered
I thought that there were ISO fixings at the rear so not sure what the issue is with child seats? I find the front seats comfortable enough for distance driving but not up to the standard of my old X5 leathers (of course). Also the ride is harsh but then it鈥檚 an urban car not particularly designed for long distances.

Registered
We use a Joie Spin 360 seat for our 2 year old, works great, no issues getting him in and out or space for the seat. I can sit in front of it in the passenger seat and I'm a lanky 6ft 1in.

We went from a 5 series with large comfy memory seats + optional lumbar support etc etc and we don't miss them at all going to the i3. Multiple long journeys with no discomfort, I've had issues with some seats in the past too but none here :)

Registered
Very happy with the standard cloth seats in my i3S. Not done any long journeys yet but very supportive for the back and no difficulty with leg support

Registered
doesn't a lot of comfort perception come down to weight/build of the driver? I'm 75kg and found the i3 comfortable, if a bit bolt upright, but not as pleasant as bucket seats in other cars. If I was 120kg, I expect I'd have a different opinion. I also like the seat low down. Does the i3 have seat height adjustment?

Registered
doesn't a lot of comfort perception come down to weight/build of the driver? I'm 75kg and found the i3 comfortable, if a bit bolt upright, but not as pleasant as bucket seats in other cars. If I was 120kg, I expect I'd have a different opinion. I also like the seat low down. Does the i3 have seat height adjustment?
Yes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts