Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just left the kid in kinder garden and tried get out of the parking spot, got that msg - hv battery shut off ???
Could not drive away.
Pressed stop than start a couple of times, finnaly decided to lock the car with the remote and unlocked it and that did the trick.
But what the hell ?

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have had that one before as well. How much charge did you have? It happened to me when my charge was very low. I think it more a function of buggy software than an actual problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had that one before as well. How much charge did you have? It happened to me when my charge was very low. I think it more a function of buggy software than an actual problem.
Bugy or not you can't drive away
Happened again 30 minutes ago , drove with my wife, in the middle of the way she decided to drive after not driving for 5 years, i started to explain, told her to press start and same shut off msg.
First time it happened this morning i had about 60% battery this time i had about 30%.

So again tried pressing stop and start twice, did not help.

Then locked and unlocked still did not help.

Waited about 30 seconds then locked and unlocked again and it stoped showing the msg and wrote ready ...

Hope i did not get a defective battery or car...

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Just left the kid in kinder garden and tried get out of the parking spot, got that msg - hv battery shut off ???
Could not drive away.
Pressed stop than start a couple of times, finnaly decided to lock the car with the remote and unlocked it and that did the trick.
But what the hell ?
I am not 100% sure that you do have a problem.
Why, because I have seen this very same issue before by not following the start up process correctly.
I am NOT saying you don't have a problem, but I have seen this very same warning when doing the following.
Okay, unlock the car and reach inside and hit the "START" button, wait a few seconds, then hit the "START" button again.
Remember, you are standing outside so have NOT pressed the brake pedal.
The car will run through the usual checking process and start bonging.
Straight away you will see the very same 12 Volt amber warning display in the dash panel !.
I think it does this to warn you that power is being drawn from the 12 volt battery and because its knows you are NOT ready to proceed / drive it is therefore inform you that recharging the 12 volt battery is NOT taking place.
How did I discovery this, purely by accident.
I wanted to know how much range I had in the car before I started a trip.
So because the car was NOT on charge, I though I would reach in and hit the start button ( twice ).
I got the information I wanted, but received the 12 Volt warning at the same time.
How could this be related to your problem ?.
Well, could it be possible you hit the "Start" button JUST before you applied enough pressure to the foot brake ?.
If so, you have almost replicated the same condition as myself.
Powering the car down, then leaving the car and locking & unlocking, then returning to the car and carrying out the "START" process correctly this time after the reboot did the job !.
If the 12 Volt battery never had enough power to start the car the first time, I can't see how it found the power the second time.
Unless of course, you had been running the heater for a long time with the car powered down.
This will use power from the 12 volt battery to run the heater blower fan's.
Only when following the proceed to drive process is power supplied to charge the 12 volt battery.
Hope this makes some sense !.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same problem this morning, car was about 90% charged turned it on and off a couple of times and the hv battery light stayed out. Car has been ok since.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cant say for sure but it seems to be related to not pressing the brakes before pushing start.
Checked it once with pressing on start deliberatly with out pressing on the brakes before and there it was "hv shut off", so its probably not an error...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think your correct it isn’t a fault, I have tried it a few times now without putting my foot on the brake and it goes into standby mode.sometimes it will say hv battery not connected so it’s just stating the obvious.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I think your correct it isn’t a fault, I have tried it a few times now without putting my foot on the brake and it goes into standby mode.sometimes it will say hv battery not connected so it’s just stating the obvious.
They provide this facility, so you can bring the car to life ( without pressing the brake pedal first ) to power up the 12 volt system to power up the radio / wipers / heater blower motor.
But, it alerts you to the fact that you are now pulling power from the 12 volt battery that is NOT being replaced, until the car is in the READY condition.
This can be seen if you have the car powered up in the STANDBY state only and are pulling juice from the 12 volt battery.
After a time, take a look at the 12 Volt battery gauge, it will be indicating at the centre mark or one section below the centre mark.
Then, put your foot hard on the brake pedal and hit the "Start" button, to fully boot up the car ready to drive.
As soon as this happens, you will see the 12 Volt battery gauge climb by another two more white sections to ABOVE the centre mark on the gauge.
Only NOW is the 12 Volt is being charged !.
Basically, avoid running the car in standby mode only with a lot of 12 Volt dependant items running for long periods of time, or you could deplete the battery to the point when the car will not fully boot up.
I always carry a booster pack in the car should this happen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I carry a 12 volt battery booster too, I did realise if the hv battery isn’t connected the 12volt system battery won’t charge. All ev’s have a dc to dc charger. It was just that the hv battery not connected warning isn‘t always displayed on standby.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I carry a 12 volt battery booster too, I did realise if the hv battery isn’t connected the 12volt system battery won’t charge. All ev’s have a dc to dc charger. It was just that the hv battery not connected warning isn‘t always displayed on standby.
Press the the "Start" once, then after a short wait, press it again, WITHOUT pressing the brake pedal of course and you will receive the yellow 12 Volt battery warning and a bong to go with it, I have found !.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am not 100% sure that you do have a problem.
Why, because I have seen this very same issue before by not following the start up process correctly.
I am NOT saying you don't have a problem, but I have seen this very same warning when doing the following.
Okay, unlock the car and reach inside and hit the "START" button, wait a few seconds, then hit the "START" button again.
Remember, you are standing outside so have NOT pressed the brake pedal.
The car will run through the usual checking process and start bonging.
Straight away you will see the very same 12 Volt amber warning display in the dash panel !.
I think it does this to warn you that power is being drawn from the 12 volt battery and because its knows you are NOT ready to proceed / drive it is therefore inform you that recharging the 12 volt battery is NOT taking place.
How did I discovery this, purely by accident.
I wanted to know how much range I had in the car before I started a trip.
So because the car was NOT on charge, I though I would reach in and hit the start button ( twice ).
I got the information I wanted, but received the 12 Volt warning at the same time.
How could this be related to your problem ?.
Well, could it be possible you hit the "Start" button JUST before you applied enough pressure to the foot brake ?.
If so, you have almost replicated the same condition as myself.
Powering the car down, then leaving the car and locking & unlocking, then returning to the car and carrying out the "START" process correctly this time after the reboot did the job !.
If the 12 Volt battery never had enough power to start the car the first time, I can't see how it found the power the second time.
Unless of course, you had been running the heater for a long time with the car powered down.
This will use power from the 12 volt battery to run the heater blower fan's.
Only when following the proceed to drive process is power supplied to charge the 12 volt battery.
Hope this makes some sense !.
I think I would endorse the attempting to drive before fully booted up answer it's what I did when in a hurry and it locked out. I had to get out and lock and then start over as punishment I think. The MG doesn't play a silly tune like most other EVs as MG have tried to keep the experience it seems of owning and driving an EV as near as possible to that of a modern Automatic ICE car. However, this can catch you out if you belt up - dab the brake and tap the start then engage Drive/Reverse. I've now adopted the process of Depressing break first and touching the Start - then while I buckle up the car is booting up and you feel the brake peddle go down as the braking system comes alive and you're then ready to select drive/reverse and go.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I think I would endorse the attempting to drive before fully booted up answer it's what I did when in a hurry and it locked out. I had to get out and lock and then start over as punishment I think. The MG doesn't play a silly tune like most other EVs as MG have tried to keep the experience it seems of owning and driving an EV as near as possible to that of a modern Automatic ICE car. However, this can catch you out if you belt up - dab the brake and tap the start then engage Drive/Reverse. I've now adopted the process of Depressing break first and touching the Start - then while I buckle up the car is booting up and you feel the brake peddle go down as the braking system comes alive and you're then ready to select drive/reverse and go.
It was the very same in my previous VW plug in hybrid.
You can't "Rush" the start up process !.
You have to be a little patient, allow the car to take its course.
If you try and short cut the system, it will soon let you know in one way or another.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts