Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is a first! And no sign of the owner either.

I must have pulled up within a minute of their charge starting too (the timer was on zero); the SOC is showing 80% after 8 minutes on charge - they started at 70.

Do I wait it out or carry on? I have just about enough to get home...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The charge has actually stopped. Still no sign of the owner.... I had a half-hearted go at removing the connector myself but it wouldn't budge.....

Edit: 15 minutes later he returned, offered a half-arsed apology & left looking a bit sheepish.

Should I be annoyed, especially since there's a petrol station 30 metres away?:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,594 Posts
Hmm, once the session has finished the chademo gun usually unlocks...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Edit: 15 minutes later he returned, offered a half-arsed apology & left looking a bit sheepish.
Should I be annoyed, especially since there's a petrol station 30 metres away?:rolleyes:
No you shouldn't be annoyed, infrastructure is for everyone, not just you. Why on earth should he be apologising??! please get over yourself.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No you shouldn't be annoyed, infrastructure is for everyone, not just you. Why on earth should he be apologising??! please get over yourself.
He has a choice. He's got a petrol generator on board. And he shouldn't have left his vehicle for more than 5 minutes. Most of my wait for the charger took place after the charge had stopped.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
He has a choice. He's got a petrol generator on board. And he shouldn't have left his vehicle for more than 5 minutes.
Oh and you had no choice when you bought your car?

You are right though "He has a choice" and you don't like his choice to charge?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Except that he had left the car unattended for at least 15mins AFTER it stopped charging, thereby blocking anyone else using it.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh and you had no choice when you bought your car?

You are right though "He has a choice" and you don't like his choice to charge?
I don't like his choice to hook his car up & disappear. Especially when he didn't need the charge (I suspect he was just using the option of charging to get the parking space).

I'm typing this whilst sat in my car. I have enough charge to get home; if another EV pulls up I'll un-hook & move on. No one will have to come looking for me.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
It's difficult.

It's safe to assume that nobody has briefed the owner in any form of etiquette, nobody has told them what demand to expect, perhaps nobody has ever been charging when they've arrived so they have no idea what inconvenience it could cause.

If the owner turns up, a polite word may help in future. If not, maybe a polite note under the windscreen. Human interaction and understanding on all sides is probably the best way to deal with this, or it risks getting out of hand and becoming a strange development on the "us and them" attitude. One time it was Teslas hogging chargers being sniped at by some, now we risk having short-range PHEVs being the subject of some frustration because they don't need to charge...

We're better, together.

Sure I heard that somewhere before?! ;) :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I don't like his choice to hook his car up & disappear. Especially when he didn't need the charge
if his battery is flat then it needs charging? the charger was free...

(I suspect he was just using the option of charging to get the parking space).
Just wow.. you "suspect" he spent all that money on a new EV instead of an ICE just to get that parking space?!

I'm typing this whilst sat in my car. I have enough charge to get home; if another EV pulls up I'll un-hook & move on. No one will have to come looking for me.
would you move on if an i3 rex pulled up to charge?

Do you know why he was delayed in returning? do we know his intentions because you haven't said so above?

Come on this was not an ICEing incident, this guy actually cares enough to have left ICE behind and has bought a decent car, please try and be decent with him too. if you want to discuss etiquite with him feel free but you have no justification to be annoyed, the charger was in order it was working and a car with a socket was using it. Yes he might have been 15 minutes late, but does he know? was he expecting a 100% charge to take 10 minutes longer? Did the charger provide higher Power today than when he timed it on his last visit? was he delayed in some way? would you be complaining about 15 minutes if his car actually took 15 minutes longer to charge (you'd still have to wait)?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think the Ecotricity charging etiquette bits need:

1) publishing more widely
2) to include a polite suggestion that PHEV's are aware of shorter charge time and try not to stay in the space too long as BEV's may NEED to charge, particularly where there is just one charger available.

I've done 10 rapid charges since buying the Leaf just over 2 months ago and either had to wait or had someone waiting for me on 4 of those occasions which is a slightly worrying statistic

Having said that I don't leave my number in the windscreen....
...... printing one out now..... ;-)

Polite advice is always the best way forward but be mindful that a PHEV has just as much right to be at a rapid as a BEV, frustrating though that may seem.

..... Edit.... PHEV'ing deserves politeness, ICEing doesn't.......

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
A few thoughts
* I don't think it fair to assume he (I mean he/she!) didn't "need" the charge. The infrastructure is there for whoever can use it. If he got there first and is *charging* that's IMO entirely fair. Of course if he is around and you're in a rush, by all means you could ask nicely but it would be wrong to assume anything
* Given that I do think the chargers should have a 30 min timeout enforced, with connector unlocking to share better for everyone.
* Number on dash helps. At least he was only 15 mins, far from the worst I've seen (tesla hooked up on AC side for > hour.. at which point I gave up) and given the variability of charging speeds, smartphone support, walking distance/finishing coffee etc I think this is "reasonable" even though slightly frustrating for you
* If parking space allows, I would disconnect when complete, though I note you tried this and 100% agree if it doesn't come out totally trivially easily, leave alone - definately did the right thing there

IMO we're going to get more resource contention over charging points. More EVs, lots more PHEVs. I have a leaf now, but am moving to an i3 REX. I still intent to use battery whenever I can. really seriously. In the situation above if the OP had asked nicely and explained I likely would have disconnected. Demanded or assumed priority as a BEV? Nope.

In summary I don't think any behaviour here was unreasonable. ok room for improvement but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He didn't need the charge. The charger display was showing an indicated 70% when I pulled up - and it had just literally just started. His battery was by no means flat.

I'd have had no issue with waiting for the PHEV driver if he'd been waiting in his car. This isn't an anti-hybrid rant. But the charge terminated at 80% anyway, leaving me sat twiddling my thumbs (and kicking a hornets' nest on here!) For a further 10 mins.

So I stick by my original supposition that this guy was only charging to make use of a convenient space.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
There were 2 scenarios I'd say. Either he was

a) ignorant about etiquette
b) pulling a fast one

Given that he was sheepish and apologised I'd say the former. Hopefully he won't do it again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
He might, or he might not have been scoring a good parking space, but nonetheless he should have either been in the car or been back around the time the charge was due to finish. IMO a rapid should be treated like a petrol pump.

I don't feel I need to move for a BEV, but I do. This morning I was less than two minutes into a rapid charge and a Leaf showed up. I was twiddling with my phone so didn't notice it until it was driving away but a quick toot made it stop and I waved it back. I unplugged and let the Leaf in. I was about to drive down a dual carriageway and it was freezing cold, so I reckon I would have managed 10 miles EV from an 80% charge. I was also plugging into the mains on my return to the office, so why hold the Leaf up for 30 minutes for me to save 90p or whatever.

I'll maybe not do that once I go full EV though :)

1 - 20 of 245 Posts