Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried out the headlights of the demonstrator this evening and have done a quick(-ish) video of a comparison between those, my Golf GTE LED headlights and my wife's VW Up! halogen headlights. You can see it here.

The LED lights are clearly (no pun intended!) better and I guess that the best you can say about the e-Niro headlights are that they are adequate. I think you could also conclude that it is not worth going out at night time in the Up!

The test was on the same stretch of road doing about 40mph with the lights going from dipped to full beam about half way up.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It's hard to tell the difference on video. The Golf lights are brighter but the Niro lights actually look fairly good when they are side by side like that.
It looks much better in your video than it seemed when driving them one after the other at the weekend.

Edit:

I think we need to add a couple of these to the Niro, that will sort the night vision :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you find the high beam in the e-Niro to be less than adequate?
No, I found it adequate but it was only a short run. I'm not sure how good it would be on a longish journey on B roads. Having said that, the lights were far better than the Up's.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that if I was switching from the GTE to the e-Niro in winter when I'd be likely using the headlights quite close together then I'd be disappointed in them. However as it is likely to be a several months gap between the 2 I would most likely have forgotten how good the GTE's are.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I agree with that @dougconran. Driving the Nissan Note the lights seem fine, as did the Leaf lights. I can see what I need to most of the time.
I only realise how good the Golf LED lights are when I drive it on roads when I can use the full beam. As it is mostly my wifes who drives the Golf that doesn't happen too much. On dipped beam on the A14 there isn't much advantage to the LED lights.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Does anyone know if changing the headlight bulbs to LEDs will invalidate or affect the Kia warranty?

I spoke to my insurers today. Adding LEDs as modifications increased the premium by £8 but the compulsory excess for accident cover went up by £200. Has anyone else made enquiries regarding LEDs with their insurers?

·
9,719 Posts
Does anyone know if changing the headlight bulbs to LEDs will invalidate or affect the Kia warranty?

I spoke to my insurers today. Adding LEDs as modifications increased the premium by £8 but the compulsory excess for accident cover went up by £200. Has anyone else made enquiries regarding LEDs with their insurers?
As long as they are same output your fine - higher output gets into legally dubious territory.

The biggest problem you’ve got retrofitting is beam performance as housing not designed for LEDs, and heat - I know one person who tried LEDs and ended up melting plastic bits.

TBH I wouldn’t be that bothered to make the effort, and live with halogens. Changing to some Philips super bright white colour bulbs are more likely to have a pleasing effect.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I asked my dealer that question and was told, predictably, that whatever was done would need to be Kia approved without saying what bulbs might be Kia approved.

As @Jack says above, I would have thought that brighter halogens of the same wattage and that use the same fittings would be fine.

If anyone has access to the UK version of the manual could they check to see what the headlight bulbs are.

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
483 Posts
If they are the same as the lights on the Niro PHEV then I would be very interested in doing this as I have been using the PHEV all through the winter and the headlights are not the best. Yes the do indeed do the job but the I ones in the Golf GTE are so much brighter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've barely had a chance yet to drive at night, but with winter coming I was alarmed by this post from an e-Niro owner on the Auto-Express site:

The lights are truly atrocious. Borderline dangerous to drive at night without full beams. Going to upgrade to brighter bulbs. It’s really that bad. Genuinely the only black mark on an otherwise wonderful car.
Gulp.

The lighting-related threads in this forum, which generally pre-date the e-Niro's public availability, suggest that LED conversions are either illegal or would contravene warranty or insurance conditions, that the standard lights aren't sealed units or xenons, and that brighter halogen bulbs are probably the answer. Now that the car is actually here (sort of), can anyone speak from experience about the the benefit of upgrading? FWIW, none of the online bulb-chooser tools I've tried even recognises the existence of the e-Niro, but the manual suggests that the current bulbs are 60 watt HB3 HL+, whatever that means.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
ENiro Halogens are pretty good, probably have better distance illumination than the Golf LEDs.

Video needs the drivers view from an incoming car to give the full picture!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm ok with mine as it is, but when one pops I might buy some of the whiter ones. I wouldn't expect them to be much better functionally but aesthetically they'll match the DRLs better. Interior LED upgrade was worth it though IMO

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
ENiro Halogens are pretty good, probably have better distance illumination than the Golf LEDs.

Video needs the drivers view from an incoming car to give the full picture!
Have you driven both?
I have both cars and Golf LEDs are much brighter. They don't shine up the road any further on dipped beam but they're a huge difference in brightness and distance they light up is further on full beam

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've found the lights fine, coming from my Leaf with Halogens which I felt really shouldn't have been legal.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts