Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Hampshire have set the price for their rapid chargers: £4.00 for the first 15 minutes, then 25p per minute.

To see how bad this price was I downloaded the list of every rapid charge I have done on Charge Your Car over the last year. It was quite a few charges (56 sessions), totalling 275.36 kWh. But, if I had been paying Hampshire prices, they would have cost £278.75 in total. That is an average of £1.01 per kWh. As my car tends to average about 4 miles per kWh, that means about 25p per mile.

The average UK price for diesel at the moment is £133.32 per litre, or about £6.07 per gallon. In order to beat 25p per mile a diesel car only has to do 24.3mpg.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So a bit more info.

First session is free as part of the signup process over the phone at the unit.

I agree the prices are far too high. £4.00 for 30 mins maybe when I needed to, but this isn't the type of pricing model that will encourage people to switch.

I reckon my leaf 1 would only pull about 5 kWh max in 15 mins. Looking at the Ecotricity units I usually manage about 10kWh in 30 mins....

I was also told that the pricing was SSE decision. Previously (when the endorsement for application to OLEV was made) SSE stated they wouldn't make any money from the venture. (I will find the minutes).

·
Registered
150 Posts
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/getdecisio...Electric Vehicle Charging Points.pdf&type=pdf

see 4.3..

"SSE will supply electricity to the chargepoints at cost to itself. Through
charging for electricity through the ‘pay-as-you-go’ system’, it will generate
some income from the chargepoints. However, it is not expected that these
will be of significant value to the company, especially not initially. Across all
of the authority areas, it is estimated that they will generate a maximum of
around £200,000 income over a 15 year lifespan for the chargepoints. This
figure is based upon a maximum energy usage of £3 per chargepoint per day"

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fag packet time...

'£3.00 of electic per day'

What is the wholesale price? Lets say 10p / kWh.

- @10p/kWh = 30kWh of electric supplied a day (only???)
- that would be only 90 mins of charging per day (based on my leaf, 10kWh in 30 mins)
- 90 x £0.25 = £22.50 / day
- £22.50 - £3 (the cost of the electric) = £19.50 / day profit
- x 365 = £7117.50 / year per unit
- x 15 years = £106,762.50 per unit over its life
- x 5 units = £533,812.50 profit from Hampshire over 15 years? (Based on only 90mins usage a day)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So, Hampshire have set the price for their rapid chargers: £4.00 for the first 15 minutes, then 25p per minute.

To see how bad this price was I downloaded the list of every rapid charge I have done on Charge Your Car over the last year. It was quite a few charges (56 sessions), totalling 275.36 kWh. But, if I had been paying Hampshire prices, they would have cost £278.75 in total. That is an average of £1.01 per kWh. As my car tends to average about 4 miles per kWh, that means about 25p per mile.

The average UK price for diesel at the moment is £133.32 per litre, or about £6.07 per gallon. In order to beat 25p per mile a diesel car only has to do 24.3mpg.
So the first 15 minutes costs more per minute that the subsequent minutes? 26.6p vs 25p
Doesn't that strike as a little odd, in itself?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My rough maths says that the £4 / 15mins works out at 40p/kWh assuming you arrive with a very low battery and disconnect before the charge rate slows down (though, of course, if you disconnect before the 15 minutes is up, it'll cost more).

That's another question - do the chargers stop at 15 minutes to ensure you don't pay any more?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My rough maths says that the £4 / 15mins works out at 40p/kWh assuming you arrive with a very low battery and disconnect before the charge rate slows down (though, of course, if you disconnect before the 15 minutes is up, it'll cost more).

That's another question - do the chargers stop at 15 minutes to ensure you don't pay any more?
In order to get 40p/kWh in the first 15 minutes you would have to be averaging 40kW for that whole time. Isn't the Leaf battery 360V? That would mean over 110A for the whole of the first 15 minutes. I find that hard to believe. Are there any definitive details anywhere on the charging rate for a Leaf?

P.S. Please also note that the units installed at these sites are APT rapid chargers which arrive set to 20kW max power and need a huge amount of paperwork and vast pushing by the site owners to get that increased.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
In order to get 40p/kWh in the first 15 minutes you would have to be averaging 40kW for that whole time. Isn't the Leaf battery 360V? That would mean over 110A for the whole of the first 15 minutes. I find that hard to believe. Are there any definitive details anywhere on the charging rate for a Leaf?

P.S. Please also note that the units installed at these sites are APT rapid chargers which arrive set to 20kW max power and need a huge amount of paperwork and vast pushing by the site owners to get that increased.
The DBT chargers run at 106A/394v up to about 55% - so, about 42kWh

If these are max 20kWh then it turns into >80p/kWh which is ridiculous.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The DBT chargers run at 106A/394v up to about 55% - so, about 42kWh

If these are max 20kWh then it turns into >80p/kWh which is ridiculous.
And don't forget that the APT chargers also allow two vehicles to charge at the same time, and when that happens it splits the available power evenly between each EV. That means you could be "rapid" charging at 10kW.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Can I suggest lobbying your local MP and the local paper? This sounds like something that hasn't been thought through at best, without even going into any conspiracy theories.

Do both in tandem; local papers are always looking for local crusades and MPs are always wanting to get column inches and be seen to be fighting for their constituents. NOW is the time to do it because it's topical ie climate change conference. Local papers also like to tie local issues into national/international issues.

Companies don't like negative publicity; you may want to reference the MK situation so that your local council can be seen to learn the lessons of another council.

Are you getting my drift? You may also want to think of a photo opp...which is probably a photo if you and your EV at one of the charging posts.

You could even try local tv or radio but they are even more likely to attend if the paper covers it first.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
How about a EV rally at a Hampshire rapid? Lots of EVs from all over, at a Hampshire rapid, press, local TV, local radio, Transport Evolved, other EV internet media... all invited?

If we could get enough EVs to make a big enough impact in the media then it might even raise the issue nationally and impact other regions.

I'd attend... even from Cornwall and even if I had to get a night's accommodation.

I'd organise it myself but I feel it would have more chance of success if someone from that area was the figurehead for it and geed up the media.

Anyone interested in taking it on?

1 - 20 of 334 Posts