Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Juts took delivery of my bmw 120ah car last week.

Our other car, when you moved the gear into P the handbrake auto engaged.

I don't see this happening on the i3, which I find abit odd

Surely lots of people have exited the car without engaging parking brake?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
No parking brake, but it will go into the park grear when you switch the car off if you don't do it yourself.

You'll get used to applying it when you park pretty quickly I imagine. I don't think I've ever forgotten to do so.

That's normal behavior for the i3 though. Not a fault or anything.

·
Registered
954 Posts
No parking brake, but it will go into the park grear when you switch the car off if you don't do it yourself.

You'll get used to applying it when you park pretty quickly I imagine. I don't think I've ever forgotten to do so.

That's normal behavior for the i3 though. Not a fault or anything.
Agree

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, sure we will get into the habit once driven a but more

Really liking it so far

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thanks all, sure we will get into the habit once driven a but more

Really liking it so far

I'm on my second i3 my first 60ah rex was a disaster.

My current 94ah rex is fantastic

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm on my second i3 my first 60ah rex was a disaster.

My current 94ah rex is fantastic

I'm also on my second i3. I loved the first one - 94Ah REx with every box ticked on the options. Loving the second one - i3s fully specced by a Vegan with an aversion to black wheels - the auto headlights are amazing. The s is so much better on motorways.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm also on my second i3. I loved the first one - 94Ah REx with every box ticked on the options. Loving the second one - i3s fully specced by a Vegan with an aversion to black wheels - the auto headlights are amazing. The s is so much better on motorways.
Very nice.
Love my sunroof this time of year.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
498 Posts
The "ignition" control system on the i3 is an epic fail in every dimension. It's utterly inconsistent. The parking brake doesn't auto engage, but it auto disengages. You can't control this behaviour. The transmission lock auto engages if you switch the car off from drive, but not if you switch the car off from neutral. You can't change this behaviour either. The car is schizophrenic as to whether you need to have your foot in the brake to engage forward or reverse gear whilst rolling, and you can't change this behaviour either... Turn the car on to standby and it's pot luck as to whether the next press of the power button will turn the car off or not.. (how do you extend keeping the radio on??)

The system appears to have been designed as ten different bits of code by ten different people..

(Still love the car.. :) )

·
Registered
589 Posts
The "ignition" control system on the i3 is an epic fail in every dimension. It's utterly inconsistent. The parking brake doesn't auto engage, but it auto disengages. You can't control this behaviour. The transmission lock auto engages if you switch the car off from drive, but not if you switch the car off from neutral. You can't change this behaviour either. The car is schizophrenic as to whether you need to have your foot in the brake to engage forward or reverse gear whilst rolling, and you can't change this behaviour either... Turn the car on to standby and it's pot luck as to whether the next press of the power button will turn the car off or not.. (how do you extend keeping the radio on??)

The system appears to have been designed as ten different bits of code by ten different people..

(Still love the car.. :) )
Yeah had an i3 120ah for 5 months, this amongst other things was why it went, the system is not user friendly in any stretch of the imagination.

The new Zoe doesnt even have a P mode, you turn it off or open drivers door and it does that and handbrake automatically

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah had an i3 120ah for 5 months, this amongst other things was why it went, the system is not user friendly in any stretch of the imagination.

The new Zoe doesnt even have a P mode, you turn it off or open drivers door and it does that and handbrake automatically
What we're the other reasons for getting rid?

So far I really like it to be honest

Its a drag to jumo back into our family diesel car

·
Registered
589 Posts
What we're the other reasons for getting rid?

So far I really like it to be honest

Its a drag to jumo back into our family diesel car

The ride is poor, it’s very jittery and tramlines easily. Then there’s the suicide doors,idrive rubbish and tiny boot. I thought it would be perfect companion for our model X but sadly it just annoyed me greatly so it went and was replaced by new zoe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find the idrive fantastic to be honest

I always seems to to lauded in reviews too

Cant argue with small boot

I sat in a zoe but didn't drive and I felt the cabin was significantly smaller than the i3

Not sure how accurate that is but certainly felt that way

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
sat in a zoe but didn't drive and I felt the cabin was significantly smaller than the i3
You've got bigger, frameless windows, and a more open feeling cabin (footwell not blocked off in the center for example) in the i3. In terms of size it's probably actually a bit smaller, they just did a good job making use of that space.

As for the idrive it's a divided opinion on here. Some absolutely love it, others detest it. I'm personally not a fan, especially when you get the task of text input without a touch screen.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
691 Posts
I’ve always preferred the VW Audi systems over idrive but must admit ID6 I think it is in the latest i3 does on the whole work very well. So much so that I abandoned the purchase of an aftermarket Apple Car Play even for just £60.

Given its small footprint the cabin and boot are roomy but the design and quality of finish did it for me.

Agree that the stability is easily upset by potholes and it is a little jittery at motorway speeds but on balance I prefer the acceleration and lively handling over its competitors.

Mini and Honda e were the others I looked at that had a bit of fun factor but were just too small in size and range and more expensive at the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You've got bigger, frameless windows, and a more open feeling cabin (footwell not blocked off in the center for example) in the i3. In terms of size it's probably actually a bit smaller, they just did a good job making use of that space.

As for the idrive it's a divided opinion on here. Some absolutely love it, others detest it. I'm personally not a fan, especially when you get the task of text input without a touch screen.
Mind im comparing if to the kadjar system which I drive makes it look really sluggish and poor

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
Mind im comparing if to the kadjar system which I drive makes it look really sluggish and poor

I've just taken a look at that. The Kadjar doesn't appear to have the usual Renault R-Link that you get on the Zoe, Clio and others. I've never seen that system before.

The R-Link is by no means perfect either. It does freeze and restart itself every now and then. It'll sometimes lag or just feel generally a bit slow and if you're not using Android Auto/Apple CarPlay you'll feel really limited regarding what you can do with it. Just in my opinion at least, the TomTom nav, and a touchscreen for easy text entry make it worth suffering the performance issues.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I guess your view on the iDrive depends on whether you use all the functions. There is a tendency nowadays to add functionality just because you can. Personally, I just jump in and select drive. Rarely use the radio, never play music and find the voice control quirky so don’t use that either. I do, however, select Eco and it’s annoying that the default cannot be changed.

As for the SatNav, well, I tried speaking “drive home” and it navigated to some place in Scotland together with a warning that it was out of range - but we all know that voice recognition is rubbish and until there is a decent learning algorithm it’s not worth the effort.

I have found a few times that I have selected Start but cannot engage Drive so have to switch it Off (which is presumably On!). All a bit confusing and not sure how to explain it to my wife in case she wants to drive it.

As it’s usually just me driving I have no issue with the daft suicide doors and I drop a rear seat down for the golf clubs but agree that it’s skittish to drive. The remedy for me is something a bit bigger and heavier but will probably wait a few years and see how the market develops. Until the I shall continue to believe that the car is ground breaking and exciting to drive.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
691 Posts
ColA do you know which version of I drive and software you are on?

the voice recognition and Start but can’t selectdrive problems are exactly what I experienced on our 2018 225xe.

The 2020 idrive in the i3 is tons better and has so far worked v well, at least on recognising nav destinations.

so far no problems with selecting drive, it used to drive me nuts in the 225, would sometimes have to resort to switching everything off, getting out of the car, locking it and waiting10 seconds before trying again. I was told that it was because I was trying to drive off before the system was ready 😠

·
Registered
729 Posts
Haven’t a clue which version but the car is only 18 months old so it has probably upgraded itself. The Start is not really a big issue.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts