Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some people don't like or even hate such things - that's fine. But I absolutely adore the ability to drive my Kona with as little foot or hand use as possible. Yes, the dashboard reminds you to put your hands on the steering wheel, and in fact I hardly ever take them off. But at least with the right check boxes in dashboard config the Kona will deal with small adjustments to steering on roads with good white lines, and a bit more to keep the Kona smoothly in the centre.

Also with smart cruise control in place I can drive for many miles only needing to put my foot on the pedal to occasionally start it from a stop or on the brake to bring it to a crisp slowdown when cameras get it wrong.

I find myself following a car in front just because that way the Kona can really get the following process near right. It will even stop if the vehicle in front stops, and start again automatically if within two seconds. After that a light touch on the pedal and release or a touch of the cruise contol speed buttons will get it moving again. (The latter has some caveats & nuances.)

Key to this is knowing when the Kona is likely to get it wrong as well as being ready in case it does go wonky. Such situations include
a) junctions where one lane splits, say into 3. So you may have been travelling, say at 60, but now down to 30 as you approach the junction, especially because the Kona is limited by the car in front. You the swap lane and suddenly there's nothing in front of you. So the Kona suddently accelerates when is total nonsense approaching a junction. It should be slowing down or at best maintaining speed.
b) white lines aren't clear on one or both sides so lane management is not good.
c) bends are too sharp. The kona does not deal well with sharp bends. Similarly true on tighter roundabouts.
d) coming up fast behind near stationary vehicles (such as at a junction) I find the Kona can be too late spotting the cars in front and without harsh braking really could crash!
e) parked cars at the side of the road and odd stationary vehicles. The Kona can brake hard for no apparent reason.
f) cars turning left or right the Kona can misinterpret as stopping and so it tries to come to a halt itself - not exactly what one wants!
g) sometimes the kona cameras can't properly read because bends are too tight.
h) (fast) overtaking is never going to be hands free.

There are ways to deal with some of the above problems that are neat. For example switching the indicator on stops the cruise control temporarily and so you can control pace smoothly with the pedals. Similarly this new "touch the break briefly" as a kind of switch to disable cruise control, and thus kick in regenerative braking. Starting from junctions can be done with the right thumb on the arrow keys.

I haven't fully trained myself but as driving experience increases and I know when the Kona is likely to get it wrong I can pre-empt the situations and keep it almost permanenty in smart cruise control etc etc. The idea of being able to drive very very long distances (and I don't just mean a lot of motorway) using these Kona features is very appealing.

For me it's not about switching off from driving responsibiity, it's more about being a better driver. I learn about what the car judges is safe and right and compare that to my own assessment. For example the 2-second rule. I am convinced that now I follow that 2-second rule for so much more of my journey, not just on the long straight stretches but also the junctions.

(Of course if Hyundai want me to trial improved systems I am always available.)

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
For example switching the indicator on stops the cruise control temporarily and so you can control it smoothly with the pedals.
Doesn't on mine. It releases the lane follow or keep functions for a few seconds since it knows you are going to cross the lines, but my SCC continues.

You the swap lane and suddenly there's nothing in front of you.
I find this annoying when I'm in an emptier inside lane, so the car starts 'undertaking' the lane to the right. I wish it could be selected to follow the current lane and the one to the right - whichever is slower.

a light touch on the pedal and release or a touch of the cruise contol speed buttons will get it moving again
I gave up on the pedal - too much effort having to lift the foot and then apply enough but not too much pressure. Much easier to flick the switch and let the car do all that work :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
One major issue with SCC I find is that the brake lights turn on depending on regenerative braking, not actual slowing down of the vehicle. For example, if I set SCC at 95 km/h and come to a slight downhill that would enable regenerative braking the brake lights turn on although the speed remains at 95 km/h! I have done a few trips with a friend of mine driving his car behind mine and he says this is quite annoying and even dangerous to a degree in a sense that he did not know when I was actually slowing down or if it was just regenerative braking at constant speed.

I really wish Hyundai would fix this with future software updates.

·
Registered
160 Posts
One major issue with SCC I find is that the brake lights turn on depending on regenerative braking, not actual slowing down of the vehicle. For example, if I set SCC at 95 km/h and come to a slight downhill that would enable regenerative braking the brake lights turn on although the speed remains at 95 km/h! I have done a few trips with a friend of mine driving his car behind mine and he says this is quite annoying and even dangerous to a degree in a sense that he did not know when I was actually slowing down or if it was just regenerative braking at constant speed.

I really wish Hyundai would fix this with future the software updates.
Completely disagree.
It's normal, common even for drivers of auto-trans ICE cars, who have neither regen nor suitable engine braking to moderate their speed, to maintain a constant downhill pace using their foot brake all the way - I see this daily.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Completely disagree.
It's normal, common even for drivers of auto-trans ICE cars, who have neither regen nor suitable engine braking to moderate their speed, to maintain a constant downhill pace using their foot brake all the way - I see this daily.
Yes, on a steeper slope that would be acceptable and I can agree with you. But with SCC active Kona EV brake lights turn on even on very slight downhill sections where I have seen no one ever use brakes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, on a steeper slope that would be acceptable and I can agree with you. But with SCC active Kona EV brake lights turn on even on very slight downhill sections where I have seen no one ever use brakes.
On any slope it is acceptable and normal. Your friend's comment is inappropriate - it would be foolhardy to make a judgement about the speed of a car in front by looking for the presence or absence of brake lights. My PHEV has 1 level of regen - if that doesn't match the slope then I use the foot brake rather than the trans B mode, which would invoke the ICE...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Pretty much word for word how I drive my car. My only wishes would be that you could use the left paddle to decelerate even when in SCC, and pull away from a stop by thumbing the "+" button.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts