Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 257 Posts
Bit premature to gloat. There'll probably be power cuts soon and, if that doesn't stop you, some Marxist activist will be be lying across your route.
Why would they be Marxist? Some might be others might not be what unites them is a belief government could do more to push the insulation of homes which has to be the starting point of being carbon neutral. I totally understand the frustration caused when you are caught up in such demonstrations but here we French know disruption when dialogue has failed can have results. If governments wherever they are fail to have a dialogue and fail to explain why their policies are good ones then they can and should expect citizen action until the citizens are content with government policy and give their consent. a once every 5 yr vote on a manifesto not worth the paper it is written on does not count as consent in my book by the way😉 the gilet jaune demos here brought the government to the table and policy changes were made and the government publicly admitted it had made errors in reaching some policy decisions.

Hi @Parkwood, could you send us some of your spare HGV drivers, please? We'll let them into our independent and self-sufficient country as long as they don't stay very long.
I hope they all say “no”. It’s the only way the bosses of these greedy corporations and the RHA who represent them will learn to put wages and working conditions over cheap labour and their own profits and bonuses.

Hi @Parkwood, could you send us some of your spare HGV drivers, please? We'll let them into our independent and self-sufficient country as long as they don't stay very long.
Have to say the one I was talking too last night was in no way interested but I will ask around😉

Right now, diesel is best for me and for a lot of other people too. Once it isn't, then it isn't and I can look at alternatives.
It may be best for you, in terms of convenience and cheapness, but it certainly isn't best for those "lot of other people" who have to breathe your fumes.

You're simply making a cost/benefit trade-off that favours yourself and neglects the true cost, which others are having to pay with their welbeing and health.

It may be best for you, in terms of convenience and cheapness, but it certainly isn't best for those "lot of other people" who have to breathe your fumes.

You're simply making a cost/benefit trade-off that favours yourself and neglects the true cost, which others are having to pay with their welbeing and health.
I think you'll find that is pretty much the same for any motorists regardless of the fuel.
Car ownership and driving needs to become something we laugh about within a couple of decades as we mock those daft enough to put up with paying for something that depreciates hugely over time while costing a small fortune to run, maintain, repair and insure.
If not, whether @donald chooses to drive a diesel, petrol or BEV will be pretty irrelevant.

What 'fumes' do you speak of? Your BEV generates more particulate matter from its tyres than my car generates in combustion particulates. I have tried the test, I have stood in my closed garage with the engine running (as has been suggested that I should try), and after several minutes all it leads to is a scent of humid locker-room. It's just CO2 and water vapour, both naturally occurring planetary gases.

Euro 6 diesel exhaust is basically humid air, with a higher CO2 concentration than normal.

Thick end of a 90 mile round trip to Chelmsford RFC and back in the Renault Zoe for my son's mini rugby game. 97 miles range on the Guess-O-Meter when we got back. Plugged in for a bit, just to pump to the psychological comfort level of 120 miles, even though I could do work and back twice without needing a charge.

Not being smug though, because I feel very much for people who are reaping the rewards of the twats who have been running the country (into the ground) for a decade.

My wife took my daughter to a birthday party yesterday and all the talk was of the fuel shortages. She's got half a tank in the Countryman PHEV and was explaining how it will probably last another month given her driving profile. Lots of interested noises, apparently.

What 'fumes' do you speak of? Your BEV generates more particulate matter from its tyres than my car generates in combustion particulates. I have tried the test, I have stood in my closed garage with the engine running (as has been suggested that I should try), and after several minutes all it leads to is a scent of humid locker-room. It's just CO2 and water vapour, both naturally occurring planetary gases.

Euro 6 diesel exhaust is basically humid air, with a higher CO2 concentration than normal.
This page shows what is allowed by the Euro 6 tests: Euro emissions standards | AA

However, this doesn't mean that any particular Euro 6 car will emit these pollutants in these quantities. It just means that one new car of the same model was tested in the specified test conditions and passed. Any particular example could emit less (obviously) or more (because it has drifted out of new spec or conditions are not like the test conditions).

It's also worth noting that the Euro 6 emissions tests are completely different from the MOT emissions testing rules that apply to cars in-service over their life. They are not even specified in the same way.

What you did was ill-advised. Carbon monoxide, in particular, is tasteless and odourless. I hope that your garage is well ventilated.

Kind regards
- Garry

101 - 120 of 257 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.