Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watch with amusement the plentiful video reviews of the Kona EV, the reviewer goes on to show the charge port and promptly drops the AC and DC covers.
Did you know there is a hook on the swing flap to hook them up to?
I thought it was a poor design to just let those covers dangle, Can’t see it lasting the lifetime of the car.
However, the official Hyundai video shows the person hooking it on to the hinge of the flap. Cool.
Come on then you Kona EV owners, own up, what do you do?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you place the covers on the hooks then inadvertently close the flap after charging forgetting to replace the covers this can throw the flap out of alignment. If the covers hang loose this does not happen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I didn't. But mine are on 'strings' so they just dangle a couple of inches down. What's the problem?
No problem per se. I was more like inviting a survey where owners would state whether they used the hook (if they knew it existed) or not and may be why.
I understand why most reviewers didn’t, they didn't own the car. It does not do the Kona any favours showing them dangling (IMO) when there is a hook for them.
I just thought it would be amusing to know if loads of actual owners didn’t know either. Let the survey begin.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
531 Posts
I only use the hook if it's raining even though it still collects water. The charge port cover design is primitive and unsophisticated, I assume because Hyundai do not have design engineers with better skills. Every feature in a product should surprise and impress you, yet this feature just looks like an afterthought.
The use of a push-to open, push to close kitchen cupboard latch was an epically stupid choice given that ice or other debris may close up the required gap. At least having the port in the front was otherwise a good choice. I would hate to have to engage in parking gymnastics as i3 and other side-port vehicles do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also think the charging flap is a very poor design. Apart from the icing issue And the silly sprung latch, earlier this winter mine would not open due to the hinge being jammed up with fine road grit and silt. It is also very vulnerable to being broken whilst car is charging.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I don't know why those covers can't just be built into the flap so that they open automatically when the flap is opened?
That could work for the type 2 part, but if you aren't using CCS you wouldn't want that section left exposed all the time you are charging - like in the rain every night.

The charge port cover design is primitive and unsophisticated, I assume because Hyundai do not have design engineers with better skills.
I assume it's because it's a relatively cheap car, in terms of overall build. Hyundai isn't a premium brand.
Given that to charge you have to heft a heavy cable and connector around I don't see those plugs as a big problem. They fit with the KISS principle.
The door is a bit meh, but it's hard to think of a better solution with no alternative downsides, so I'll not condemn them even for that.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I just had a look/play with mine. It's a bit of a pain trying to use the 'hook', and it's only for the type 2 cover - the line on the CCS is too short (and I don't think it will fit on the hook anyway, and there is only one hook).
The manual doesn't seem to say anything about it either. An undocumented feature I guess.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I don't know why those covers can't just be built into the flap so that they open automatically when the flap is opened?
It's something that Nissan got right- and Hyundai failed to copy! Leaf had remote unlocking of the flap, then nice hinged covers on the AC and Chademo ports. I see Tesla M3 doesn't even have a cover over the CCS DC pins!

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is downsides to pretty much any system that's out there. The chademo is outdated in my opinion, it's a huge clunky connector. Apparently charging with more than 50kw is not supported. Although I believe it has vehicle to grid capability which is nice and the current (first?) iteration of CCS does not.

I love that the charger port is on the front. It makes it SO much easier to pull up to a charger. Would have been great to see 2 hooks for both covers.

The port being exposed to the elements is a problem, but seems to be a problem with Tesla's as well, so not necessarily only for the front port. I recall that I had that problem with my ICE car years ago after freezing rain and having had to get gas and wasn't able to open the tank flap either. So it's not really a new problem either.

Apparently one that the manufacturers don't put a lot of thought into.

BTW I can see that fancy Audi e-tron flap breaking easily as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Indeed, I wonder if it is possible to DIY and attach at least the top one to the hinged flap.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Just plugged mine in for a charge and with the current winds it's probably worth hooking the type 2 cover up if it's outdoors. The cord is long enough that it rests on the paintwork below and it would likely swing back and forth in the wind and eventually cause visible damage. The CCS cover is on a much shorter tether and wouldn't be loose for as long, so probably not so much of a problem.

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
584 Posts
The type 2 charging cable that came with the car has a cover on it and so does the port there is not enough room to hang both so let them Dangle in the breeze

·
Kona Owner
128 Posts
The port cover goes on the hook. The charger cover then fits over the port cover. Nothing gets wet, all neat and tidy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts