Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

HandyAndy's Ioniq 38 kWh long-trips range experiences

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Hairy Leafer 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought a 1-yr old Ionic 38 kWh 2 days ago, 5k miles, paid £25500, fyi.
Mrs & I do a regular Winchester <-> Derby trip, 160 miles, so intention is to do this trip in all weathers with no Rapid charging en-route. We usually stop mid-way at a friends for a socially-distanced pee & mains top-up, so today I added 17 miles to the range that way. So the figures I'll be posting here will have any extra added-range removed from the calcs, to give the best figures I can calculate. Here's today's trip, Winch->Derby. This is my first-ever long-range trip in this Ev, so obvs taking it v gingerly as I learn the limits! I believe the usable battery is 38.4 kWh, plz let me know if not!
Tyres are Michelin Energy-whatsits, at 36 psi I think. Whatever the dealer's service set them to, 2 days ago.

20Oct Start at 100%SOC. 158 miles done. 41 Range remaining at Derby. Temp 14-15C. Wind zero. Weather heavy rain Winch->Oxford, light to Derby. Driving style was hypermiling, at lorry speeds several car lengths behind pantechnicons, so getting reduced air drag & a slightly drier road where lorry had left drier tyre-paths to drive on. Minimal use of Cruise Control, Heat on 22C, A/C used partially if it started to mist. ECO mode used.
Summary: 199miles theoretically possible in these conditions, but I'd want at least 10 miles safety-margin at destination, so let's say 190 miles can be done at a gentle pace in v wet weather without holding up others.

So far I'm delighted! But, how do I dim the central screen at night? Looking at that tends to destroy my night-adaptation for a bit. Also, do any levels of regen auto-operate the brake lights? Thx in advance.

edit: There's a setup menu option to link the central display illumination to the speedo illumination, so this is sorted. Should be the default, I'd hope.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi, congrats and hope you enjoy the car. I get true 180 miles at 6C and just under 200 at around 20C that's mostly mway around 70 mph. I've done 3500 miles and got overall 4.6mi/kWh. Very pleased apart from my 12 volt issues hopefully now sorted. Isn't there a dial on the RHS lower dash to dial down the illumination?

#3 ·
Re The regen / brake lights question - this comes up a lot. It's clearly defined in the relevant EU legislation...reg 13H...here's the relevant section. The signal referred to is the brake lights illuminating.

5.2.22.4. Electric regenerative braking systems as defined in paragraph 2.17 of this Regulation, which produce a retarding force upon release of the accelerator control, shall generate the signal mentioned above according to the following provisions:

Vehicle decelerationsSignal generation
≤ 0,7 m/s2The signal shall not be generated
> 0,7 m/s2 and ≤ 1,3 m/s2The signal may be generated
> 1,3 m/s2The signal shall be generated
In all cases the signal shall be de-activated at the latest when the deceleration has fallen below 0,7 m/s2.

Reactions: Spiny and HandyAndy
#5 ·
Pretty much as I posted - the proposed amendment is simply to delete the middle section of the table and say the signal is either on or off, with suitable hysteresis controls to prevent flickering.

#6 · (Edited)
Thx re regen .vs. brakelights. Just need to get some idea of what regen gives me how much retardation now! I'll get my son to watch the lights as I do some testing on a quite lane near us.
The dial on rhs to dim the speedo does all that stuff fine, but the large satnav screen is not dimmed by it! They slipped up there.
Edit: They didn't slip up, there's a setup option to link these. Just have to hunt for it!

Re speeds, I ran a standalone satnav on this trip. Indicated 60 on speeds was a true 56 mph.

Does anyone suffer from the key & the fob separating? I managed this feat 3 times on day 1, without even trying! The 3rd occasion ws late at night. fortunately I noticed a missing fob-bit from the bunch of keys, found it on the driveway just before it started raining! I'm going to design some sort of black plastic shroud to clip over that end of the fob, to make it near-impossible to press that tiny shiny pin that's detaching these bits. Can't believe I'm the only one with this problem! Msg me if interested, I could sell these on eBay for a small sum if people want. If it works ...

Did my first ever Rapid fillup for return trip tomorrow. Temp 13C, used an Instavolt on Derby ringroad. 25% full to 90% took 1hr 4 mins, was going a steady 14 kW from 74% to the end. Best was 34 kW at 60% SOC, I'l compare these with that Fastned graph on here. Had a bit of a moment after the charge finished. Car was happy. Got out to tap my card, and got message about some error with the Instavolt! For a moment I thought I'd broken it, but it reset itself/recovered & announced itself as Available again - phew! Message about how to get a receipt off t'internet disappeared before I could photo it for ref! Anyway, it was a painless & easy to use process. Final 10% for tomorrow's trip will be 2 hours on the granny charger and then we're off back home.

#7 ·
I have no experience of the 38, mines a 28, but bearing in mind the charge curve, I think I would prefer to charge to 75% and then stop on way back for another 15-20 mins when about 25% ish and top up again. Would be quicker and suit my bladder as well for Derby to Winchester! You mightfind it even better even with handy friends to stop at :)
That Instavolt speed seems slow at 34kWh max as well.....usually expect 43 ish, so maybe an issue on that charger? Maybe look at the Polar a few miles away that’s also contactless and cheaper, to compare? Got to love these Ioniqs....either battery size....both do a good job on these sort of journeys !

#8 ·
I think the coldish temperature's maybe a factor in slowish charging. Car had been sitting outside all night, so I wasn't suprised not to get nearer 43 kW. Reason for going for 38er was those occasions in deepest winter when we don't feel like stopping at all, even at that nice 8-charger hub at Banbury. I'd rather take it gently like the other day, then be belting along in 3rd lane of motorway in a 28er knowing I have to get out in the cold & we'll be waiting 20 mins/whatever. Besides, the newer car's got slightly better toys, larger screens! We don't do enough super-long trips of 300+ miles to make me regret going for a much slower charging car. Just have to have a longer lunch break, maybe take a siesta!

#10 ·
Return trip 23 Oct Derby to Winchester. No detailed figures as did an accidental detour, but 1st half went at per trip up there. This time drove on M1 & M69 damp & drizzly doing a genuine steady 60, 64 on the clock, and my buffer range was stable/increasing v slightly.

2nd half, weather improved to 14C dry roads. Stopped at Stroud Park = the M40 hub at Banbury to test it out. 8 Instavolts 125 kW each (but "shared", is that shared between 2 :) ?4? 8 😮?) and put 8.8 kWh = 28 miles in 20 mins elapsed time, £3.09. Battery was 69% at the end of this, which is well past the max-rate part of the charge curve. Anyway, this was enough for the Mrs to check the place out. Frankie & Bennies is closed, Premier Inn seemed to be closed & not welcoming guests for a coffee, so only the Costa Coffee drive-through was operational. Dunno if they have a toilet for people, Mrs didn't ask. So it's a v useful recharge spot, all 8 were available & a Niro turned up while we were there, but not v impressive for other comforts!

Rest of way home the roads were dry, temp 14C, so hammered the 85 miles to Winch mostly at genuine 70, =74 on the clock. Actual speed varied up & down as a fair bit of traffic, lorries overtaking slowly on the uphill bits, etc. Buffer was declining steadily at this speed, I had something like 40 mile buffer at the start, down to 20 at arrival in Winch. All very predictable & smooth. Car is slightly affected by gusts, you can feel them and steering wheel needs that tiny adjustment to counterract them. You get the feeling that 70 is fine, but you might not want to try 90! Ampera by contrast is rock-steady at those speeds & faster; that has wider tyres, and probably a better weight distribution. I get the feeling the Ioniq's a tiny bit nose-light. I htink the Amperas a tiny bit quicket to accelerate at these speeds, has 150 Hp, but the Ioniqs got quite enough oomph to sail up the hills & keep up with the quickish guys.

Re the central display not dimming; did some hunting in the Setup menus, found some display options in there, and I think I've managed to set it to link the central illumination to the general instrument binnacle brightness knob. But haven't tried this out. Why this isn't the default I don't know, maybe it is, but prev owner unset it? Whatever.

Changed the Nav voice assist to not quieten the radio when announcing routes; I found it irritating to be listening to the news & miss chunks. Will tweak volumes to get it to be audible-but-not-overwhelming, if you know what I mean. There are a lot of settings to play with! And some you really have to hunt for; in the Setup, the LHS has a list of items on display. But you have to scroll this up to see some more sections off the bottom!

#11 ·
Good write up and (as a fellow ex Ampera owner) useful info. How do you find comfort compared to Ampera?

My ZE50 is on 2 year PCH and currently thinking of buying a 2 year old Ioniq 38Kwh when it goes back. Would be good if it could do 180 mile trip to Doncaster without charging and sounds feasible in good weather and slower speeds. We recently got there with 20 miles left in Zoe, despite some genuine 70 speeds on M1. We like to get there in 3 hours and achieved it in Zoe, obviously far easier in our Model 3 but wanted to give Zoe a run and reduce miles on the Tesla.

#12 ·
Comfort-wide I'd say it's as good. I'm all skin & bones, so had a spongy square cushion seat in Ampera, and that's gone into Ioniq, as both have firm squabs. Wife hasn't complained yet, and she always used a cushion in Ampy. Seat adjustments seem similar, happy with everything in this respect. Tried the "auto" temp control, set to anywhere from 21 to 23, while this works, it takes a few mins to adjust, and I found myself giving the temp-up button an occasional poke. I suspect the surrounding air temp/sunshine alters the internal air temp faster than the feedback loop reacts.

A lot of details are nice; door handles have small led to show the handle at night, charging lights on dash are 3 blue ones, so solid-lit for 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 full (then I think they go out), and flashing means between prev & next segment, so you have some idea of how full it is at a glance.

Door buttons work, though rears don't unlock the back doors (prob a setting I need to alter somewhere...). Side mirrors auto-fold, but sadly don't point-down in reverse unless you get the up-market Premium SE one. Mines the Premium, cloth not leather seats, but am happy with that. Boot is v sim to Ampera but bigger as it's deeper. I prefer Amp's trampoline at the back, as Ioniq plastic rollerblind is too rigid to accomodate anything bulging up, but at least you can park that away under the boot before you start packing.

I like to see what my buffer is as I go; in manual-speed modes this is nicely visible as the 2 numbers for range-remaining & distance-to-go are on rhs of speedo, easy to subtract. But when I put it in cruise control, the range-remaining number's gone, so I have no idea what my buffer's doing. Might be a setting somewhere, or I may be able to configure the central console split-screen to show my this info, haven't yet had time to suss this one out. Lane-change warning annoys me, so I turn it off. Don't mind the slight tug on steering wheel, but the loud "Bong" wakes the passengers up! "Vess" slow-speed pedestrian warning is almost inaudible from inside car, I think it's a slight whining turbine-like noise, and doesn't seem to alert anyone at all! Reversing bongs are quiet inside car, and maybe have a useful effect in carparks - I hope so. Reversing camera's excellent, turns night into day! literally!

Ventilation seems to be choice between fresh air permanently, or recycle. Noticed a few occasions when diesel smell got objectionable. I don't know if the "auto" mode is 100% fresh air in & they heat-exchange it all, or whether they use the Ampera partial-air-in-to-reduce-heating-costs mode, which I found kept the air perfectly fine, and limited the diesel smells. I rather think Ioniq isn't using this trick, so you need to be quick on the recirculate button!

#13 · (Edited)
180 mile trip is just that 20 miles further than mine. Gut feeling is you'll be able to do that in this 10C wet weather, providing there's no bad head wind, and you're prepared to shelter behing HGVs & go at their speed, as I did. You'd know by 1/3 way there whether your buffer's increasing, or dropping, in which case a quick stop is called for. As per my trip up arriving with 40 miles buffer, you might arrive with 20, at which point you may be getting towards reduced-power warning-bongs time; haven't got that low yet to find out! In summer should be a breeze I think, taken gently. GOM looks pretty good so far.

I don't know if Cruise Control is efficient or not; it operates a bit jerkily to my mind, you feel the sudden jerk as it decides to give it beans. Also I don't like the way it slows you down as you're approaching slower traffic, I usually want to maintain current speed & glide past, so I'm not yet convinced by this feature. I prefer, at the mo, to drive manually, and keeping an eye on power meter, speed, buffer etc keeps me alert. Power meter is fun - crawling at 1 or 2 mph shows about 2 miles per kWh !!! Must find out the optimum crawl speed; foot-off-pedal seems about 5 mph maybe? Ampy must be about 2 mph, I prefer that.

Acceleration off the mark not quite as quick as Ampy. Deffo some gentle feed-in going on, I think. But perfectly nippy enough, even in Eco mode! I think Sport just sharpens the throttle response, not sure if you get any genuine power increase anywhere. I'll let my son explore that - he's dying to!!! Have felt a front tyre spin once or twice, perhaps a combo of weight-balance, and slippery Michelin Ecos. Can spin them exitting my sloping drive, Ampy no such problem. Already wondering what winter tyres to go for; the compromise Crossclimates etc seem to lose you a fair bit of range. There are some Nokians or Vredesteins winters that look good I think. And I want a front&back dashcam setup. Where are you, Santa?

#14 ·
We escape to Florida most winters (*) so range in cold weather isn't too big an issue. The idea would be to use the Ioniq (like the current Zoe) on mild weather trips to family in Doncaster and North Wales with a charging stop on latter. This time of year we would take normally take Tesla, especially as OH likes the car warm ;)

* My Visa doesn't allow me into USA right now so will probably be "enjoying" the delights of UK winter and no doubt a second lockdown. Still mulling over travelling there via 14 days in Barbados but is an expensive option...

#15 ·
Good info. I’ve had mine since Jan and have done a couple of 1000 mile weekends between South Wales and St Andrews recently. Ironically lockdown allowed me to use the EV as the mileage contract wouldn’t have worked if I’d been commuting for work as well as visiting the nipper in Uni. I’m really comfortable doing 2-3hr sections and then taking 45-60min breaks, myself and my wife grabbing a snack, taking it in turns to use a toilet and also walking our dog allows the time to fly by.
Once we’re released from our firebreak, lockdown, whatever....we’ll be making another trip up and back.

For info I find 1.5 miles per % is a pretty good rule of thumb for estimating range......and it allows easy mental maths to be able to adjust driving style/speed if required aka ‘I’m bursting, how far until the next toilet stop?!’

Enjoy.

#16 ·
Derby to Winchester 29 Oct. 12C ish temp, steady light rain 1st half, intermittent with damp roads 2nd half. Hypermiled it using radar controlled ACC at shortest distance, appx 3 car's length I'd guess. Did 165 miles, arrived with 13 miles range. Main thing I learned is that it takes 82 mins to charge from 80% to 100% SOC! Discussion elsewhere suggests it's ok to leave car charged to 100% overnight, so I may do that. Just as well I started that mini charge at 7:10 a.m.! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.