Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, whilst looking at YouTube the other day - I came across this video -
It looked interesting and directed me to the retailer's website - https://www.hautopart.com/product/tesla-model-3-automatic-frunk-and-trunk/

Its about $500 (with another $50) for the foot sensor (free p&p). I'm thinking of getting for myself as a birthday/christmas present. I'm not interested in the frunk one.

Has anyone in the UK had any experience with this yet? Their website suggest they have installer in the UK in
London
Edinburgh
Liverpool
Bristol

Anyone used a UK based installer?

·
Striving for a greener planet
358 Posts
It’s one of the first things on my list to install. Going to get both boot and froot as just want the complete setup.
Didn’t realise they had official installers in the UK. That was my main concern. Will do some more research and fro the London one a line.
Plan to get it installed in a month or so

·
358 Posts
Sorry, can I ask where you saw it mention UK installers? I can’t to see it on their website. I am in the mobile version though

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, can I ask where you saw it mention UK installers? I can’t to see it on their website. I am in the mobile version though
Click on the link in my post. Scroll down about half way. Tap on installation guide.

·
358 Posts
Nice one thanks. A nice long list of cities. I’ve pinged them an email via the contact form for their London installer. I’ll let you know how I get on

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice one thanks. A nice long list of cities. I’ve pinged them an email via the contact form for their London installer. I’ll let you know how I get on
Please do as I’d be interested in getting this installed too. I’m think if there’s enough of us, group discount?!

·
358 Posts
I’m definitely getting it done. Got the green light from SWMBO. Combine it with Siri commands or NFC tags and it really comes into its own. Oh and don’t forget the foot sensor

·
Registered
158 Posts
It’s one of the first things on my list to install. Going to get both boot and froot as just want the complete setup.
Didn’t realise they had official installers in the UK. That was my main concern. Will do some more research and fro the London one a line.
Plan to get it installed in a month or so
Look at i1tesla or frugalteslaguy on YT and they have a discount referral code for these.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know if you got a response Sparkalicious, but i never did via the contact form. So i contacted them via the Whatsapp option and they responded much quicker. In a nutshell they said once I've ordered one, then will send me the UK installers details.

In the mean time I went on the TMC forum and found this - https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/group-buy-for-power-trunk-frunk-liftgate.166742/
Looks like our American cousins have installed them and are having some issues with their DIY installs. This make me a bit nervous - so i'll watch the forums and hold fire on ordering one for now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I purchased this a few months ago, but I have only just installed it today.

It was V3, so the PITA cable under the rear shelf. This means taking off the side seat bolsters, seatbelt cover and the top trim that covers the rear passenger airbags on both sides. All that just to get under the rear parcel shelf for one clip.

The cables for the struts were a pain too. I didn't want to run them though the holes for the lights, so they got pushed down the rear bumper then pop through gromits in the under boot.

There is a 12v power source under the dash so no going through the firewall or bodging by going out the door and up the a pillar to the battery.

Took about 6 hours in total.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I got a Model S retrofit power tailgate from CO Zero based in Sweden, they also have a Model 3 kit now

My only issue was them sending a V3 kit and V2 instructions... once that was sorted it was relatively easy, by relatively I mean only 4 skint knuckles and a minor groin strain from the contortions.

However it has been in now for about 8 months and very happy with it. Can't obviously comment on the Model 3 kit but for the Model S they include spare trim clips on the basis that you will break some in the process.

Someone else may be able to comment but from memory, Simon from Holborn who does (did?, since Tesla activate theirs) a lot of the Dashcam fitting will do these as well. Any ofthe comments re the work are always positive, you might want to try them if you do not wish to try DIY, depending where you are, if he is unable to do it he may be able to give a recommendation.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got all the clips for every piece of rear trim on the 3 from Tesla just incase. 9 on the boot were listed as restricted, took about 1 week for Tesla to change to "over the counter" then a further 2 weeks to get in stock.

There's 4 on the bottom of the plastic trunk trim that are very likely to break. In addition to them i'd get a couple of the standard trim clips just incase. The Hansshow kit came with 2, which might be enough, but for about £2 for some more it's not worth the risk.

I cut and rejoined the tailgate light plug as it would not go through the rubber cable channel between car and trunk. Some people cut this and retape it, but it's not California and I don't want to risk and water ingress. Keeps OEM look apart from fat struts.

·
358 Posts
So I had this fitted, as mention in another thread. Overall really happy with it. Only one real disappointment, the foot sensor is a bit weak. Works 1 in 5. I may have a duff one. Hansshow have asked me to send them a vid and they will likely send me a replacement. The actually opening and shutting of the boot is great though. The installer I used did not have to cut anything and managed to guide everything through the rubber hoses etc. With the V3 kit it's easier as there are less wires that need to be fed through. One thing to note, it is a little noisier than most OEM versions but you soon get used to that. You can also disable the beep but again I've now got used to it. Speed settings are variable and I'm perfectly happy with how it works. It's great that the V3 version gives you some indication on the app that the boot is open. Was a worry for me that, originally, you'd never know if the boot was open or closed. Also nice to know that it is fully reversible if needed.
My installer managed to fit it without breaking any clips so that's always a massive bonus.

I also got the froot opener. Works perfectly. When first installed the debug cable was not disconnected which caused an interesting side effect. When I honked the horn the froot would open! Found out when a dozy so and so stopped in the middle of a round about. Froot was still on the latch so didn't open fully but was a strange occurrence that, at first, I thought was a one off until I just thought I'd try it again. Hansshow diagnosed it and gave me the solution over WhatsApp. Very nice chaps.

I used Ultimate Audio in West Wickham (Greater London/Kent) to install mine. They charged £540 for front and back, so 10 hours in total. Said if they did it again would be cheaper as they'd know their way around a bit better.

Would highly recommend the kit.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Abstract Ocean, Amazon and others do stronger struts that will lift the trunk/frunk when opened, no power or wiring needed.

Is this really worth that much more money?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the stronger struts for the bonnet. It puts stress in the aluminium and it doesn't sit as well. I've returned the front to standard.

Rear struts easy open mod involves additional springs that have been known to put OEM struts under too much stress. The boot also becomes harder to close.

The electric rears cost £350 and open/close from app, key fob, screen or buttons. No dirty hands and easy to open/close. The rear is worth it IMHO.

·
358 Posts
For me it's worth it. Had a powered tail gait for a while now and saves dirty hands and easy to close when hands are full etc. As for the froot, I hated closing that with 2 hands either side of the "T". Made me nervous every time that I'd warp the bonnet. I'm glad that I have both installed if I'm honest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts