Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
The US is home for half of them. That's 100k cars. How? considering they pay almost the lowest petrol costs in the western world and travel longer distances than Europe.

Don't they sell more in a month than the UK does in a year. Considering the respective population sizes (UK 70m, US 350m), then surely they're ahead of us.

Strange.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
The US Leaf pricing at the time matched that of the UK Leaf once import duty and vat was taken into account. The UK Ampera strangely happened to be £5,000 more, making it a very expensive car.

Perhaps there was some connection to the £5k grant? One wonders if it had matched the same pricing as the US Volt that it might have sold in higher numbers?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
How do any of you here in the UK know the cost of buying a LEAF in the US ?

You cannot go by the advertised or recommended price in the US, as tax differs by State, or even County or Town / City.

The price you see always excludes tax. See an ad on TV for some new burger for $1.99 at a fast food outlet and there is no way on this planet that you can walk in store and eat that tasty treat with $2 in your pocket.
As memory serves when I lived in Clark County (Henderson) Nevada local sales tax was 6.5%.
State income tax 0% although you still had to pay Federal Income Tax. I still have to file a US Tax Return every year, in addition to a UK personal one and Company Return.
Drive over the hump to Pahrump (still in Nevada) and sales tax was 0%.
Drive 30 odd miles from home and cross the border into California and the tax (income and sales) ramps up to a whole different level.
From what I hear Cali gives good tax breaks for EV's.

Buying a vehicle (in Nevada) involved paying sales tax at the dealership and then another tax, based on value, when you visited the local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) to register it within 14 days of purchase. Dealer placed temporary cardboard plates on at point of sale to enable you to drive away. DMV tax then had to be paid every year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts