Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just posted an enthusiastic account of our experience with our new e-up! here. Including a detailed account of a 63 mile round-trip to the theatre yesterday evening. Bottom line - we didn't get anything like the 98 mile range indicated at the start, but it still did it comfortably.

But we are still reliant on our 13 amp wall-socket for charging, British Gas will have taken 6 weeks to do it from acknowledging our application if they do it as promised on 22 September! And although the way we are charging keeps the charge rate within what our solar panels generate on any sort of fine day, which is good, we find the instructions for starting the charge process baffling and the procedure hit and miss. Sometimes it starts charging straight away after we plug it in, but last night we had to fiddle with the buttons on the charging cable for nearly 10 minutes before it finally worked. This was worrying because we only had 8 miles left and we began to think VW would have to take the car away somewhere to charge it up again!

Does anyone know the correct procedure for initiating the charge from an ordinary wall socket? Please.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Incidentally we have a number of members from Hampshire/Dorset area, seems public charging isn't so great just now (my recent trip down seemed to confirm that) but hopefully that's improving.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Hello @JamesW

Yep - I'm an e-up owner too... Regarding range, you will almost hit 100 miles and beat the 93 miles NEDC, but you do have to drive very sensibly, and use the eco and eco plus mode. I get around 80 miles from a charge and Mrs Toms gets 68 ish like you.

Regarding charging from the 13A EVSE, for me, I've never pressed any of the buttons on the unit, I just plug it in, turn it on, and then connect to the car. The light by the 'filler cap' will turn orange, and then within a minute, turn green to signify charging. If it is not going green, then you may have a fault with the EVSE, but I'd also check that the Sat Nav doesn't have any departure times set for the home charge location. It's not desperately intuitive, but some checking of the manual may help you out. I'm away from the car at the moment otherwise I'd send you a screen shot, but it's in the navigation menu of the Sat Nav.

If you download the e-Remote phone app, or login to the VW Web Portal, you can start and stop charging manually from there too...

HTH

Tom

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello @JamesW

Yep - I'm an e-up owner too... Regarding range, you will almost hit 100 miles and beat the 93 miles NEDC, but you do have to drive very sensibly, and use the eco and eco plus mode. I get around 80 miles from a charge and Mrs Toms gets 68 ish like you.

Regarding charging from the 13A EVSE, for me, I've never pressed any of the buttons on the unit, I just plug it in, turn it on, and then connect to the car. The light by the 'filler cap' will turn orange, and then within a minute, turn green to signify charging. If it is not going green, then you may have a fault with the EVSE, but I'd also check that the Sat Nav doesn't have any departure times set for the home charge location. It's not desperately intuitive, but some checking of the manual may help you out. I'm away from the car at the moment otherwise I'd send you a screen shot, but it's in the navigation menu of the Sat Nav.

If you download the e-Remote phone app, or login to the VW Web Portal, you can start and stop charging manually from there too...

HTH

Tom
That's incredibly helpful, Tom, thank you so much.

Mrs Willis is out in it at the moment but I'll have another check when she gets back. I did wonder about the departure times settings but as I haven't touched them I assumed nothing was set. I'd better delve into this. (I do find navigating the Sat Nav menus surprisingly difficult too - but that's probably me being clueless.)

I use the e-Remote app to try to start and stop charging, but again that only works some times. Other times I get a red message that says something like ".... failed". Again I suppose that could be the departure times settings thing... Otherwise the e-Remote app is brilliant.

May I come back to you, please? Thanks again, (I would have replied more quickly but your post was not notified to me in an email - another thing I don't understand!!)

James

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Hi James,

No problem - I'm here to help whenever you need me. I wonder if your EVSE brick might be slightly fussy or at fault? You can in the E-Remote, set the charge current - I'd try knocking this down to 6A to see if that makes the charger handshaking more reliable?

Otherwise, have you tried any public charge spots with the type 2 lead that came with the car? Is that reliable?

I wonder if popping round to another fellow EV owners place and trying their EVSE might be in order to see if its your car or EVSE that's at fault?

Tom

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi James,

No problem - I'm here to help whenever you need me. I wonder if your EVSE brick might be slightly fussy or at fault? You can in the E-Remote, set the charge current - I'd try knocking this down to 6A to see if that makes the charger handshaking more reliable?

Otherwise, have you tried any public charge spots with the type 2 lead that came with the car? Is that reliable?

I wonder if popping round to another fellow EV owners place and trying their EVSE might be in order to see if its your car or EVSE that's at fault?

Tom
You are infinitely more use than the salesman! I think I may have had the charge rate set too high. I have put it down to 13 amps now... 16 amps must have been asking for trouble. But I will try it much lower as you suggest if I have problems again. It is charging happily at the moment.

The app seems to communicate with the car better with the (metal) garage door open and I wonder if it has been screening it.

When I go into the departure times settings screen from e-manager on the sat-nav everything is greyed out and nothing is active when I press it. I don't need this function but wanted to make sure it was all disabled. Any Ross on how to wake it up?

We haven't needed to use a public charger yet but we are registered with Ecotricity and we have confirmed that there is a CCS connector at the service station half way to our daughter in Oxford. But the car came with a lead with a type 2 connector at each end. I suppose that gives us the option to use the older type of connection as well. Is it safe to just connect up to anything that fits?

Sorry to be so completely at sea but we got no briefing whatsoever on any of this and the dealer doesn't know the answers anyway.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
You are infinitely more use than the salesman! I think I may have had the charge rate set too high. I have put it down to 13 amps now... 16 amps must have been asking for trouble. But I will try it much lower as you suggest if I have problems again. It is charging happily at the moment.
I reckon that might be it - it was probably trying to draw too much from the EVSE. I think this is a bug in the system that I have as well - hopefully a software update might help?

The app seems to communicate with the car better with the (metal) garage door open and I wonder if it has been screening it.
Definitely right - The car has a 3G connection to the net and the signal can be quite flaky. Mine doesn't like being in the garage or at my friends place in the middle of nowhere - e-remote hardly works when I'm at his place.

When I go into the departure times settings screen from e-manager on the sat-nav everything is greyed out and nothing is active when I press it. I don't need this function but wanted to make sure it was all disabled. Any Ross on how to wake it up?
I still haven't managed to look in the menu - it is slightly unintuitive from memory - press everything! :D

We haven't needed to use a public charger yet but we are registered with Ecotricity and we have confirmed that there is a CCS connector at the service station half way to our daughter in Oxford. But the car came with a lead with a type 2 connector at each end. I suppose that gives us the option to use the older type of connection as well. Is it safe to just connect up to anything that fits?

Sorry to be so completely at sea but we got no briefing whatsoever on any of this and the dealer doesn't know the answers anyway.
No worries - I've had to muddle through this until now and together, we'll likely work out more! For reference, I've used a friend's homemade EVSE and a BMW one with no ill effects, so try and use what you can. In terms of public charge points, I've used 13A socket types, Type 2 sockets and ecotricity's type 2 cable/plug tethered sort.

Tom

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tom,

I really can't tell you how grateful I am to you for your support/experience/wisdom. I/we just love the little car but there were these few little worries which you have helped so much to clarify.

I did solve the problem of the greyed-out sat-nav screens - it all comes alive when the unit is installed in the car. Simple really.

Best wishes,

James

1 - 14 of 14 Posts