Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much better for me with the Fob. Car unlocks instantly on handle pull, with the phone I sometimes had to open the app before the doors would open and hated having to carry it. The phone I have is a yellow Apple thing handed down from my wife. It is now turned off and locked in the glovebox for emergency use only.

Very happy to be phone free again... Yes I am old.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am finding the Tesla key fob great too.
To be honest, I had no issues with my iPhone setup but the key fob allows you to perform tasks quicker including the opening / unlocking of the charge port. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am finding the Tesla key fob great too.
To be honest, I had no issues with my iPhone setup but the key fob allows you to perform tasks quicker including the opening / unlocking of the charge port. :)
How does the unlocking charge port work with the key fob?

·
Registered
609 Posts
How does the unlocking charge port work with the key fob?
Easy.. just press and hold down the trunk button until it opens / unlocks :D One of the main reasons I bought it and the fact I have to leave my phone locked in the car sometimes.
I told a work colleague about this trick on his Model X which has owned for years... he was jumping with joy when he found it worked! All this time he had no idea! lol.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A few weeks ago I had to drive my wife's car and it was a while since I drove it. It was a freezing cold evening. Hurried to the and instinctively try to open the door only to realise I needed to press the keyfob first. The car felt like a refrigerator inside and next thing I do - I try to put it in gear. No you got to press a button to start the car first. It is a hybrid so at least it starts up in an instant, still freezing cold inside, next thing I do - put it in reverse and then pause to put the headlights on. Start reversing then realise the mirrors have been folded so I search around for the tiny button to unfold it (it doesn't automatically unfold in this car). After several minutes of starting car, rear visibility is still bad so next 5 minutes I end up clearing up the rear window.

In my Model 3, usually I just preheat it and with the mobile in my pocket, get in and start reversing right away looking at the rear view camera view.

Of course things can still be improved but I'd recommend driving a "normal" car once in a way to be reminded of how far Tesla has moved forward.

·
Registered
609 Posts
A few weeks ago I had to drive my wife's car and it was a while since I drove it. It was a freezing cold evening. Hurried to the and instinctively try to open the door only to realise I needed to press the keyfob first. The car felt like a refrigerator inside and next thing I do - I try to put it in gear. No you got to press a button to start the car first. It is a hybrid so at least it starts up in an instant, still freezing cold inside, next thing I do - put it in reverse and then pause to put the headlights on. Start reversing then realise the mirrors have been folded so I search around for the tiny button to unfold it (it doesn't automatically unfold in this car). After several minutes of starting car, rear visibility is still bad so next 5 minutes I end up clearing up the rear window.

In my Model 3, usually I just preheat it and with the mobile in my pocket, get in and start reversing right away looking at the rear view camera view.

Of course things can still be improved but I'd recommend driving a "normal" car once in a way to be reminded of how far Tesla has moved forward.
Totally agree, each time a drive a normal ICE car, it feels and sounds like a dinosaur :D lol

·
Registered
609 Posts
Worst is leaving it on and idling when you exit the car and walk away....d'oh!
Or when you come off the accelerator thinking regen will slow you do... then realising ... no.... and have to slam on the brakes to avoid rear ending a bus! lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
Easy.. just press and hold down the trunk button until it opens / unlocks :D One of the main reasons I bought it and the fact I have to leave my phone locked in the car sometimes.
I told a work colleague about this trick on his Model X which has owned for years... he was jumping with joy when he found it worked! All this time he had no idea! lol.
Thanks for confirming. If the car is still charging and you hold down the trunk button does it stop the charge and the unlock the cable? Are you able to open the frunk via the fob as well?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for confirming. If the car is still charging and you hold down the trunk button does it stop the charge and the unlock the cable? Are you able to open the frunk via the fob as well?
Yes, it should stop the charging and unlocked the charge cable too :)
And yes, you can open both the funk and trunk with the buttons.
As nice as the Tesla key fob is, I ended up buying a rubber case for it :D lol

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,237 Posts

Aye but my other car has a heated steering wheel, a heated windscreen and heated front seats which are quicker to warm up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Aye but my other car has a heated steering wheel, a heated windscreen and heated front seats which are quicker to warm up.
A heated steering wheel in my M3P would be nice. My seats warm quickly enough and I don’t need or want a windscreen with heat elements inside it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fair comments although I find the steering wheel doesn't feel particularly cold when it has been preheating for a while. Also I've noticed the front seats are slow to heat up when stationary but quicker once the car moves - I might just be imagining things or there could be some protection setup to avoid seats heating away without passenger seated. A heated windscreen would have been good for sure but until we see a repeat of the 2010 snowfall, I should be okay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts