Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I stumbled upon this presentation outlining contributing factors on Li-Ion battery degeneration. It's slightly old (2013) but that also means it is "state of the art" info at the time most of the current owners batteries were produced.

What struck me was that charge TIME is a very contributing factor to degeneration, especially at high temperatures. Fast charging in that domain is actually (much) better for battery life than slow charging. This was an eye opener for me, said the single phase 16A charger owner!

·
Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens, Kia Niro PHEV
1,414 Posts
Odd as that is the opposite of VWs earlier recommendations for the eGolf. From memory they said 3 rapid charges in row invalidated warranty.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
409 Posts
Great Find !
The charging was done at a constant temperature, which doesn't mimic real charging as the temperature rises during charging and discharging, but obviously they are looking for comparisons and need to minimise variation.
He didn't demonstrate clearly that the degradation at elevated temperature was due to the charging or just being at that temperature.
All the manufacturers will be closing guarding their valuable information, so it's good to get a little insight into the research that will be going on in secure laboratories, it gives some pointers to battery technology that will give very long life and good performance, so a real environmental win if it happens.
I bet the testing done nowadays also mimics real BEV usage i.e. mostly slow charging, discharging in 90 minutes, and some rapid charging.

·
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speaking of battery technology and where it is heading.......

Disclaimer: everything I mention here is highly speculative, and as far as it relates to ZOE pure fantasy.

LG Chem prepares to produce NCM 811 battery cells - Push EVs

LG seems to be ramping up to produce these 811 cells by the summer of next year; a month earlier it was reported it would be 2020. If these cells hit a revamped 2019 ZOE model, it would have a significant range boost again without any change in battery form factor.

Now I am very careful to take anything that VW says in nice future development infographics (as in, the old "how great it is going to be when you get it"), but let's for argument sake say it's true,. It would mean that in about 8+ years, the capacity of a current form factor ZOE battery would be roughly 100 kWh (@1000 Wh/l, some are talking 1200 Wh/l in about that timeframe). That's close to 700 km real life.

Battery technology: what's coming soon? - Push EVs

Interesting times ahead!

·
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts